Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cams from Tick Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm copying and pasting this from the dyno section for those that don't frequent that part of the forum:

I know some of you guys have been waiting to see these results and I will say I am quite pleased with them. First things I'd like to point out; if you've seen the dyno results I just posted for the FD RX7 with the same exact LS2 engine as this one you'll realize just how power robbing a GTO drive train really is. The LS2 FD RX7 just made 448rwhp/430rwtq on the same dyno yesterday SAE corrected with a slightly larger cam(231/238 113+3) stock heads, stock compression and a Fast 92/92 set-up. When you see the results from this GTO with CNC'd 243 heads, stock intake and a 227/235 110+3 cam it will become very clear that GTO's are not known for big dyno numbers! Also our dyno isn't the happiest Dyno Jet in the world as well. I like to consider it realistic.

This car has 1x3/4" headers, the stock LS2 intake and TB. It also has cats on it still. With 1x7/8" headers and no cats I'd expect it to gain at least 10rwhp if not 15rwhp and 5-8rwtq. Anyways on to the modifications:

2006 GTO
Stock LS2 shortblock
Stock LS2 intake and tb
Advanced Induction 232cc 243 castings with stock valve's and 1cc mill for 11.22:1 SCR and 8.87:1 DCR.
Tick Performance Saturday Night Special Stage 2 "TorqueMAX" camshaft (227/235 .614"/.621" 110+3)
Brian Tooley Platinum Springs w/ 7.400" push rods
1x3/4" headers
3" X-pipe with high flow cats
3" Magnaflow exhaust

SAE corrected numbers:

STD corrected numbers:

No that is not valve float at the end of pull #8. The MAF was doing something funny up top and leaning out causing the sharp drop in power. Pull #10 was with the MAF turned off and the problem remedied itself. We have since fixed the issue.

The car is a blast to drive and 415rwtq@3500rpm sure feels nice! With a Fast intake this thing would be well over 465-470rwhp SAE with a 227 degree intake duration camshaft!

Here is a video of the car idling at operating temperature. I also made a point of videoing the engine bay to show how quiet this cam is. I know some customers with our TorqueMAX cams have said that the valve train is louder than they expected. All of the TorqueMAX cams we have installed aside from one were quiet as a church mouse just like this one is.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Here is another one I copied from the dyno forum:

Let me start off by saying I LOVE this car that this set-up is in. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow as all the shop lights are off and everyone has gone home for the day.

Stock LS2
Stock 243's
Stock compression
Fast92
Long tube swap headers
4" exhaust into 4" canister muffler(actually sounds awesome)
LS1 Street Heat Stage 2 Camshaft 231/238 .617"/.585" 113+3

The average power this camshaft makes is INSANE!!! It just carries forever! This car has trapped over 103mph in the 1/8th as well!!! The torque is what has me sold! A C6 Z06 would get straight walked on with this set-up.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well now that's just nasty
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna destroy FedEx if I have to wait any longer lol, been waiting and the car is ready for the cam swap...... RAGEEEE..... lmao

Edit: 1:24PM Should be done tonight, might stop after the roller rockers or spring swap though, gawd I hate that part lol

Last edited by Yun Gunz; 03-27-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, That GTO sound great!
I couldn't even detect any valve train noise!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any numbers from the torquemax sns stage 3 yet? Hopefully Ill have my heads this week or early next week. Then ill get mine put together finally!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Subscribed!... finally ordered my sns stage 3 today. Took me 4 months to decide. ..Thx , Martin for all the advice and patience.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
well now that's just nasty
I thought you'd like that! Your drive-train and his are very similar. Short, less loss, should be fun to see what yours makes!
Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
I'm gonna destroy FedEx if I have to wait any longer lol, been waiting and the car is ready for the cam swap...... RAGEEEE..... lmao

Edit: 1:24PM Should be done tonight, might stop after the roller rockers or spring swap though, gawd I hate that part lol
Hurry up!!! What are you waiting on!?!?!?!
Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Wow, That GTO sound great!
I couldn't even detect any valve train noise!
It's really strange to have the few customers have as much valve train noise as they are having, but all the ones that we do aside from one do not. As I said, just when I think I have it nailed down and a pattern starts to emerge....I get an anomaly. Glad you like the idle sound.
Originally Posted by 97camaro383
Any numbers from the torquemax sns stage 3 yet? Hopefully Ill have my heads this week or early next week. Then ill get mine put together finally!
Not yet unfortunately. Lots of customers running it, but no numbers. Guess they don't like me enough to send me idle videos and dyno numbers....
Originally Posted by pauls99z28
Subscribed!... finally ordered my sns stage 3 today. Took me 4 months to decide. ..Thx , Martin for all the advice and patience.
No problem...I hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

PM sent lol.....
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Hey Martin. I have just read through the entire thread and I still have a lingering question.

What is the real difference between the stage 2 and 3? Does the stage 3 loose some power down low(torque or hp) then gain more up top. Or does it build on the stage 2 and offer more top end and sacrifice valve train life for the added power?

Also, in relation to the previous question, what is the difference between the regular and mild versions of the Stage 2 and 3. What kind of loss are we talking about?

Thanks for trying to answer everybody's questions! There are a lot on here!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Here is another one I copied from the dyno forum:

Let me start off by saying I LOVE this car that this set-up is in. I'll take pictures of it tomorrow as all the shop lights are off and everyone has gone home for the day.

Stock LS2
Stock 243's
Stock compression
Fast92
Long tube swap headers
4" exhaust into 4" canister muffler(actually sounds awesome)
LS1 Street Heat Stage 2 Camshaft 231/238 .617"/.585" 113+3

The average power this camshaft makes is INSANE!!! It just carries forever! This car has trapped over 103mph in the 1/8th as well!!! The torque is what has me sold! A C6 Z06 would get straight walked on with this set-up.
That is a bold claim, I have seen tune only Z eclipse 450/425 and run out to 7200. In a lighter platform, is there anyway you can qualify this? Not calling you out, I appreciate all you share, research etc... One of the few vendors that is very regular on here, and by the way very nice numbers.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

PM sent lol.....
Originally Posted by 35thAnniversaryPhil
Hey Martin. I have just read through the entire thread and I still have a lingering question.

What is the real difference between the stage 2 and 3? Does the stage 3 loose some power down low(torque or hp) then gain more up top. Or does it build on the stage 2 and offer more top end and sacrifice valve train life for the added power?

Also, in relation to the previous question, what is the difference between the regular and mild versions of the Stage 2 and 3. What kind of loss are we talking about?

Thanks for trying to answer everybody's questions! There are a lot on here!
A larger cam will pretty much always give up some bottom end for top end which the Stage 3 is no exception. That said, the valve events it does have along with the corresponding overlap figures gives it a much stronger bottom end than camshafts with similar duration figures. The torqueMAX line-up was created with one thing in mind and that is torque like no other camshaft that I've seen offered off the shelf can match other than a Ed Curtis Streetsweeper HT.
Originally Posted by TT427
That is a bold claim, I have seen tune only Z eclipse 450/425 and run out to 7200. In a lighter platform, is there anyway you can qualify this? Not calling you out, I appreciate all you share, research etc... One of the few vendors that is very regular on here, and by the way very nice numbers.
The only thing I can say to that is this RX7 makes what the Vette you've just given in your response does at the tires, but weighs 500 pounds less with a driver in it. A C6Z weighs around 3200-3250lbs without driver. Add a lightweight 150lb driver and it now weighs nearly 700lbs. more than this RX7, yet has the same rwhp/rwtq. You can now picture that race in your head pretty easily. Lighter car, same power to the tires....lighter car wins.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ohh, I see the problem... Thought that was in reference to the GTO and vid just above that comment. I was thinking that maybe the curves were just that much broader. That comparison makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TT427
Ohh, I see the problem... Thought that was in reference to the GTO and vid just above that comment. I was thinking that maybe the curves were just that much broader. That comparison makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion.
Ohhh! I see now! No, that GTO would get straight walked on by a bolt on C6 Z!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Still praying some more people buy the SNS stage 1 so I can see how it does in an LS1..
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Not yet unfortunately. Lots of customers running it, but no numbers. Guess they don't like me enough to send me idle videos and dyno numbers....
I will hopefully be able to post some soon. I need to get all my stuff installed and tune because its killing me to keep looking at it sit on my tool box
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stage 2 Mild SNS
(Rest of the setup is 6 years old. Just wanted new camshaft.)
Dart Pro 1 205cc
BBK LS6 intake
Ported LS6 TB
Scorpion Roller Rockers
Pacesetter /Offroad Y
Magnaflow
Supporting fuel mods done already

Haha, ya I have half my valve springs swapped. Be done tomorrow afternoon. My tune is not til April 8th but I can still pull it out of my garage for the trailer for sound.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mac62989
Still praying some more people buy the SNS stage 1 so I can see how it does in an LS1..
I'll have some dyno results from a few off road vehicles and lifted trucks here soon. I know it's not a F-body or sports car drive line and there will be a significant power loss because of the heavier drive line, but it's at least a comparison.
Originally Posted by 94Z28Joe
I will hopefully be able to post some soon. I need to get all my stuff installed and tune because its killing me to keep looking at it sit on my tool box
Good deal! Post up when it's all done!
Stage 2 Mild SNS
(Rest of the setup is 6 years old. Just wanted new camshaft.)
Dart Pro 1 205cc
BBK LS6 intake
Ported LS6 TB
Scorpion Roller Rockers
Pacesetter /Offroad Y
Magnaflow
Supporting fuel mods done already

Haha, ya I have half my valve springs swapped. Be done tomorrow afternoon. My tune is not til April 8th but I can still pull it out of my garage for the trailer for sound.
I can't wait to see what your set-up makes!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

The torqueMAX line-up was created with one thing in mind and that is torque like no other camshaft that I've seen offered off the shelf can match other than a Ed Curtis Streetsweeper HT.
How does the SNS Stage 2 for LS1 compare to the Streetsweeper HT? The Ed Curtis cam has slightly bigger intake duration, less split and slightly higher LSA. His website doesn't say what advance is ground in, if any.

Just wondering how they do relative to one another. Are the differences too small to matter?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Need a better camera and a TUNE in a bad way, but runs, oil pressure is good. The tune is on April 8th.

Quick Reply: New cams from Tick Performance