Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace those stock lifters!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shift at 6200ish. Still has stock rev limiter. Oil is at full mark. Never over revved it. Usually use a Purolator or Defense filter. Ph1/8 style, the big ford filter. I have a filter relocation kit. Sump holds 6.5 liters. 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

From the looks of it, I am going to start adding a zinc additive. I think I can get redline break in/oil additive locally. Sounds like one bottle will last me two oil changes? I have already flushed out the engine 3 times with just castrol gtx. Oil looks clean now but I haven't driven it yet. Still on the hoist. Needs to be tuned which I will be doing tomorrow .
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

just curious but did anyone consider the fact these are 10+ year old parts? mileage aside how good is it on an engine to let it sit the majority of its life? ESP things like lifters..? I don't think it's oil. I think it's a combo of STOCK gm mass produced parts and abuse. the older stock lifters for sure.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a bit of everything.

No special oil in the world can save you from some of these failures. But theres a lot of things you can do to make sure they dont:

1 inspect your rollers for smooth movement and any marks
2 replace those lifter trays or get link bars
3 determine your proper preload and get the correct pushrod
4 valves, springs, and cam all need to be carefully matched along with rockers
5 use an oil additive, its cheap insurance and with all the above parts, they could benefit from it
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with tainted.

Ill add that the hardest thing on a lifter is idle. Theres very low splash to lube the roller during idle. The lifters in Obamas limo/tank were selected by surviving thousands of hours at idle.

Just something to think about if you let your car idle for long periods or are the kind of guy that likes your cammed car to idle at 650 rpm.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

From everything i'v read, higher ZDDP levels are only needed for flat tappet cams in older engines and roller cams are not affected.
This is wrong?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They guy doing my build sent me this link regarding oil. It's worth taking a look at.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
They guy doing my build sent me this link regarding oil. It's worth taking a look at.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

I'm taking that article with a grain of salt lol. Even if the M1 "caused" the failure it is for a turbo thrust bearing failure. Not a lifter or cam failure.
Is it possible that the turbo thrust bearing needs better oil? Maybe. If thats the case then sure, why not run the high ZDDP oil.
But IDK if anyone should be freaking out about running the lower ZDDP oil in their motor unless they have a flat tappet cam setup.
Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
From everything i'v read, higher ZDDP levels are only needed for flat tappet cams in older engines and roller cams are not affected.
This is wrong?
Yes it is, didn't you read the article posted by Louis at LG? It helps with both styles. Joe Gibbs also has an article on the subject for LS based engines.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm taking that article with a grain of salt lol. Even if the M1 "caused" the failure it is for a turbo thrust bearing failure. Not a lifter or cam failure.
Is it possible that the turbo thrust bearing needs better oil? Maybe. If thats the case then sure, why not run the high ZDDP oil.
But IDK if anyone should be freaking out about running the lower ZDDP oil in their motor unless they have a flat tappet cam setup.
Thoughts?
Take it however you want to. I trust my builder and he only uses VR1 or Brad Penn 20w 50 in his rides and that's good enough for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Oil manufacturers have been decreasing the ZDDP in motor oils over the last 20 years. If these failures are really related to the lack of ZDDP then they must have recently taken more out. I would think we would have seen alot more failures by now seeing how they have been taking ZDDP out over the past 20 years.
I dont doubt it but the ZDDP being decreased is nothing new.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil manufacturers have been decreasing the ZDDP in motor oils over the last 20 years. If these failures are really related to the lack of ZDDP then they must have recently taken more out. I would think we would have seen alot more failures by now seeing how they have been taking ZDDP out over the past 20 years.
I dont doubt it but the ZDDP being decreased is nothing new.
Odd, do you see any stock vehicles in mass quantities with lifter failures? I don't...

It's the use of them....
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

This is wrong?
Even flat tappet engines can get away with lower ZDDP levels if the cam is a mild profile, has already been properly broken in, and isn't used under extreme conditions. But ideally for a flat tappet, you'd want ZDDP levels that are equal to or higher than what was normally used in OTC oils from about 1995 and earlier. I believe '95 was the first drop, then another around 2001, and then another around 2005 or so. I'm not sure if there have been any changes to ZDDP content since then.

Hydro-roller cams, especially stock ones, aren't subject to anywhere near the type of friction of a flat tappet arrangement. Lots of LSx stock cammed engines with normal OTC oils and tons of usage on stock lifters without failures. A stock engine will last a LONG time with basic maintenance and nothing special added to the oil. People break stuff because they add the additional stress of aftermarket parts to old, tired stock parts creating a combo that wasn't expressly designed to work together in the first place.

I use high ZDDP content oil (Valvoline VR1) in my old flat tappet SBC. I do not worry about this in my LS1s though. I've had no lifter failures with stock LS1 engines. I've got one of the oldest possibile (age-wise) LS1s in service, an engine that has sat most of it's life as a garage queen and is stock. No lifter issues there. I also have a newer LS1 with 100k+ that is stock internal and has no lifter issues either. No special additives, just Mobil 1 0w40 year after year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace those stock lifters!