Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump removal/Timing gear/ASA oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump removal/Timing gear/ASA oil pump

Hey guys, I have a question, I opened my LS1 up for the first time to swap cams. The chain seems very loose so I ordered a Rollmaster double from More Per. (GP). I notice it looks like I will have to now pull the oil pan to get the oil pump out so that I can pull the timing gear. Can anyone help me out here, do I actually have to pull the pan now to get the pump out? BTW, I have an ASA oil pump from one of our freshened race engines, should I swap it out for the stock one or just put the stocker back in and call it good. Any help is VERY appreciated.
Scott
Old 04-16-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

all you need to do is remove the bolts on the pan and let it drop to the cross-member and you can remove the oil pump.while working on engine stuff a rag in the front pan opening so you do not drop anything into the pan,wrench-on dude.new cams are fun!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the information More Carbon. How about the oil pump, anyone have input with that?
Scott
Old 04-16-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You going dry sump? ASA engines use an external dry-sump system and flat pan...so if somebody sold you a crank-mounted regular oil pump and told you it was an ASA piece, you've been had.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

Actualy your correct Crainholio, they do use a dry sump. But, when we got our last engine back from LPE for freshening it had an oil pump with it. We requested that we receive all the old parts and that was in the box. Nevermind, I'll call town tomorrow and ask Chris why it was in there! He'll probably have the information I'm looking for anyway.
Scott
Old 04-17-2004, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

You don't have to drop the pan to put a pump in. You can get a 10mm wrench in there to get the bolt out and have a magnet in there waiting for it. Pull the pump off. pull the sprocket off. Install the new sprocket. Install the new pump with the spacers from rollmaster. Install a new pickup tube seal. Use the magnet to get the 10mm in the hole and tighen back up. Simple as pie. Not really but not to bad.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the info, I feel like such a friggin rookie with this thing! I've done SEVERAL LT1 H/C packages and a couple LT1 383's for others in the past but this is my first experience with an LS1. Deffinately a different beast.
Scott
Old 04-17-2004, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Check out this link. It has all the info you need including illustration.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 04-18-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks man, talk about informative, thats greeeeeaaaat! (insert Tony the Tiger here)
Scott