Sponsored by:

Small part of dipstick tube fell into oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
E_S
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small part of dipstick tube fell into oil pan

I'm preparing my LM7 engine for installation and had to remove the oil dipstick tube as it was far too long for the car it's going into.

The dipstick tube was (as usual) stuck and snapped down at the base. I managed to somehow fold together the remaining part, but it fell down into the oil pan.

Wild guess: Will this come out when draining the oil? And if not, could it be laying on the windage tray? Will it fall into the oil pan if I shake and handle the engine a bit?

I'd rather try to avoid pulling the oil pan if I can..
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my LM7 windage tray has a notch where the dipstick tube goes through, see below. Anything falling through the dipstick tube hole would very likely NOT get hung up on the windage tray. If the piece is big enough (and not several small pieces) then I would just leave it be. You can try to fish it out of the drain hole, or maybe the oil level sensor hole, but I don't think that will be successful.

Name:  dipstickhole_zps426fbcc7.jpg
Views: 16080
Size:  48.4 KB

It also might get caught on the lower splash tray inside the oil pan, see below.

Name:  lowertraysmall_zps54b99d93.jpg
Views: 11034
Size:  44.9 KB

Last edited by RezinTexas; 02-09-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Same thing happened to me with an lm7 lol. It was on the stand fortuneatly and couldnt do anything to get it so i just unbolted all the bolts about half way so that allowed me to drop the pan about an inch to an inch and a half an was able to get it with a pen magnet. Id say since its not in the vehicle yet just do that, i would never risk leaving it in there especially with the engine out. I could not get it through the drain hole or the level sensor hole.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Agreed. If the engine is not yet in the vehicle, you have no excuse not to drop the pan and get it out.

If you don't, and it causes you problems later, you'll wish you did.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Teching In

When I dropped the oil pump bolt down into the pan in my buddy's car during his cam swap, I thought we were done for. But, I managed to get it out through the drain plug hole with a magnet. It took a lot of patience though.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

That piece of tube being whipped around in the oil splash/crank windage, is a good way to knock the crap out of something.... Especially if it gets beat into smaller pieces. Take it out.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Had this happen to my 5.3 in my avalanche during a head change. I tried the magnet through the oil drain plug hole with no luck....about an hour's worth of trying. Next oil change, the piece was sticking out of the drain hole as the oil was draining...talk about lucky. Good luck with yours
Old 05-03-2017, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by dns87ss
Had this happen to my 5.3 in my avalanche during a head change. I tried the magnet through the oil drain plug hole with no luck....about an hour's worth of trying. Next oil change, the piece was sticking out of the drain hole as the oil was draining...talk about lucky. Good luck with yours
but were you able to take it out through the drain hole
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Francisco, welcome to LS1tech!

This thread went dormant four years ago.

Quick Reply: Small part of dipstick tube fell into oil pan