Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valveterrain noise? chain choice?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valveterrain noise? chain choice?

hey guys ust curious. iv seen my buddies have some problems with a double roller chain in his ls6. always seemed to break and end up dropping vlaves. di it three times, he thought was just a faulty chain. in my car i have a single roller. it makes me nervous, but i heard u have to machine the timing cover for a double to fit correctly? i know a guy using a single roller on a 700 hp turbo regal on a lsx block. how long would this sinlge roller last me? i also keep hearing valve terain noise. i checked the rockers its not it. would it possibly be a loose chain?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know my SLP double chain fits fine. That being said, you should always check for any type of interference on the front cover. SLP even tells you to do so. If chains are snapping, and it has happened a couple times, I would eliminate the chain being the problem.

Are you sure this isnt just the dreaded sewing machine noise common to LS?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk i thought it sounded normalto me. but i pulled upto one of my close friends performance shops and him and his wife heard alot of vvleterrain noise. from inside the shop. they said even a solid cam motor wouldnt make that much noise. idk.. motor sounds ok to me but idk what u mean by the sewing machin noise of the ls. i neer knew it had thist type of noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: valveterrain noise? chain choice?