Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor..broken oil rings, ever seen anything like it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
So either the shop gets blamed or the customer and some ones out a lot of money. I'd be calling them getting some kind of good explanation of why the parts failed when it was properly assembled. I mean seriously at 1st I thought this was some one building a engine in their garage that didn't know what they were doing.

Its clearly a parts failure! Call them out on this OR post it all over the web!
I've spoken to Wiseco. They want me to send the stuff in for them to look at. I was very nice and not upset on the phone. I didn't expect them to even talk to me about it, so it's cool they wanna look into it.

The oil ring material is VERY brittle compared to stock oil rings (those are the only other oil rings I had lying around the shop) snaps right off.

I've taken it to 3 different machine shops and everyone that's looked says they've never seen anything like it. I hope that means they will look into it.

I don't want this to be a flame Wiseco or anyone else thread, just seeing if anyone else has had an issue and mchicia1 has.

Maybe something could be done, if not I guess my plans for the racing season are done lol.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So either the shop gets blamed or the customer and some ones out a lot of money. I'd be calling them getting some kind of good explanation of why the parts failed when it was properly assembled. I mean seriously at 1st I thought this was some one building a engine in their garage that didn't know what they were doing.

Its clearly a parts failure! Call them out on this OR post it all over the web!
There are more variables besides being properly assembled. OP stated he broke the engine in and took it to the track. Did he do proper break in procedures? Did he overheat them? Inadequate lubrication etc..etc...

Not to bash the original post because something went wrong and at least Wiseco is offering to look into it, but last time I checked, race parts are not covered under any warranty. There is no sure way to determine fault and I think it's a little pre-mature to blame Wiseco.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by streetknight2
Built a new standard bore 6.0 with Wiseco pistons. Broke it in, changed the oil. Took it to the track, it started smoking on deceleration.

Got the motor out today after a leak down test showed there was a problem.

5 of the 8 cylinders had broken oil rings. Never seen that before. Compression rings were fine except for it collapsed the ring land on the second ring and the second ring is stuck on all of them.

The oil rings are if a bunch of pieces on each one. Pistons are garbage as well as the cylinder walls.

Machinist error during boring. The cylinder walls are tapered you can tell from the piston skirt wear pattern. The bottom of the bore is tighter than the top of the bore thus giving you this wear pattern. This is due to machinist/engine builder. A simple bore dial gauge before and after final hone would have caught this fatal flaw. You have broken rings because most rings are ductile iron/brittle. As the piston goes thru the motion of combustion the tapered bores at tighter at the bottom in your case "breaks rings."

It sucks but this what happen and it was preventable. Live and learn
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Measure the bores and post your results. I built ALOT of engines and never seen anything like this..........
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
There are more variables besides being properly assembled. OP stated he broke the engine in and took it to the track. Did he do proper break in procedures? Did he overheat them? Inadequate lubrication etc..etc...

Not to bash the original post because something went wrong and at least Wiseco is offering to look into it, but last time I checked, race parts are not covered under any warranty. There is no sure way to determine fault and I think it's a little pre-mature to blame Wiseco.
The rings seat within the first few miles. A couple moderate load pulls with engine braking seats them very quickly. He could have taken it to the track right after he assembled it if he wanted to.

Nothing to do with break in here.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck finding the problem. I just built my motor and it has not fired as of yet. I used Diamond Pistons but I forgot what rings we used. I had to grind them to tolerance, hope I did it right!

Let us know what you learn about the failure.

Chad
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Good luck finding the problem. I just built my motor and it has not fired as of yet. I used Diamond Pistons but I forgot what rings we used. I had to grind them to tolerance, hope I did it right!

Let us know what you learn about the failure.

Chad
Were they the Total Seal plasma moly file-to-fit rings? That's what I ordered with mine.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Im curious to see what your bore measurements turn out to be. Keep us updated!

Installing my wisecos soon...
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

I will post info when I get block to machine shop.

FWIW this was a standard bore engine. Wasn't bored.

The skirt damage appears to be from the broken ring fragments. Cylinder walls have some nasty ridges.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by streetknight2
I will post info when I get block to machine shop.

FWIW this was a standard bore engine. Wasn't bored.

The skirt damage appears to be from the broken ring fragments. Cylinder walls have some nasty ridges.

If this engine was stock bored untouched. No final hone for 2618 pistons. That is machinist/builder error. Your 2618 pistons expanded with no room from clearance they binded up. And cause this damage.... you cannot put 2618 pistons in stock bored block and not expect have total damage. you have to finish hone the block for the correct pistons. (2618) pistons expanded alot.

The taper is tighter in the bottom of a stock block than in the top.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

That's what I figured....I call BS on the tapered bore crapola!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I figured....I call BS on the tapered bore crapola!

Dude I'm the michael jordan of building these types of engines.. Any machinist will tell you that cylinder bores have taper. Even those 2618 pistons have a taper brand new that is intentionally there.

I feel bad for the guy. But a dial bore gauge is a must when dealing with 2618 pistons.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

I picked engine up from machine shop..they had parts and said it was ready to pick up. I'm gonna take it to another shop to be checked.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

"Dude I'm the michael jordan of building these types of engines.. "

Really?! You mean like this Michael Jordan?
Attached Thumbnails New motor..broken oil rings, ever seen anything like it?-i-17c88e35d55c9abddf91dbac0e136357-0314_large.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel0026
"Dude I'm the michael jordan of building these types of engines.. "

Really?! You mean like this Michael Jordan?
precisely
Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

I aint buyin what yer selling dood.....................Its clear from the pictures the rings failed.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

I aint buyin what yer selling dood.....................Its clear from the pictures the rings failed.
You don't have to buy what i'm selling. The piston skirt aka piston body sets the clearence in the of the piston to wall clearance. So it doesn't matter if u agree or not,or buy it, or not. The piston expanded in the skirt and wore heavily first. The wear of the piston coating says the same and tells the same story. The rings fail when they binded up in the bottom of the bore due to the taper.

You can't break piston rings unless the bore is out of round. And out of round is TAPER.

You're welcome.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry but you're wrong. The pistons are tapered....but the bores are NOT. I think you need to go back to high school jr.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 03-28-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

by the way I'm the Jimi Hendrix of building motors!

And look at the middle of the piston.......not even touched! Bottom and top are destroyed! Your diagnoses is so far wrong you are playing with dolls not basketball.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

by the way I'm the Jimi Hendrix of building motors!

And look at the middle of the piston.......not even touched! Bottom and top are destroyed! Your diagnoses is so far wrong you are playing with dolls not basketball.

Listen Helen Keller I am NOT going to keep going back and forth with you on this alright. Those pistons are expanded at the bottom first the wear is severe at the bottom of the skirt. As the piston expand more and more the rings binded in the bottom of the bore. PISTONS AND BORES ARE TAPERED NOT JUST PISTONS. This is why a dial bore gauge is a must. But anyone can tell you CYLINDER BORES ARE TAPERED AS WELL. Which is why you measure each piston and assign it to a bore after you have measured the bore with a dial indicator. Bores have TAPER and So do pistons Jimi Hendrix... now put down that booger sugar and concur with MJ.

Now let's wait for the results from the guy who has this problem. And we will see who's correct.

Quick Reply: New motor..broken oil rings, ever seen anything like it?