Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had vss that wouldn't stay on the seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Ever had vss that wouldn't stay on the seat?

About 500 miles ago I replaced my valve springs and valve stem seals with the platinum dual spring kit from Brian Tooley Racing. Admittedly this was my first time doing vss on this car and the first couple seals probably didn't get pressed down far enough. Today I pulled all of my valve springs to check my vss because I had been smoking under wot and had oil on my plugs. I was expecting to have to fix the first couple seals but instead I found all but about three of my valve stem seals had ridden up on to the valve stems.

Now, like I said, a couple most likely weren't pressed all the way on but after a couple cylinders I got the hang of what I was doing and how to press the seals all the way down on the seat. I used a 12mm 12 point socket, a long rocker bolt with a washer and a pry bar to push the seals on. Any idea why almost all of my valve stem seals came loose? How to I prevent this? Is there a better brand of vss to buy than the ones that come with the BTR springs?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you clean the guides well before installing? any oil on the guide won't help. i had all 16 of mine pick up as well so don't feel too bad
Old 04-14-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by outkast6991
did you clean the guides well before installing? any oil on the guide won't help. i had all 16 of mine pick up as well so don't feel too bad
Yes I wiped everything down then lubed the inside of the seals to help them slide on, per Brian Tooley's advice. :/
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems strange as I've never had one come off. Do you for sure have the .505" ID locators? If you somehow ended up with the .565" locators then you'll have issues like that.

Get in touch with me and I'll send you a set of seals gratis. briantooleyracing@gmail.com

Brian
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Seems strange as I've never had one come off. Do you for sure have the .505" ID locators? If you somehow ended up with the .565" locators then you'll have issues like that.

Get in touch with me and I'll send you a set of seals gratis. briantooleyracing@gmail.com

Brian
I can not be completely sure as I did not measure them before installing them. I simply compared them to the Patriot locators I removed from my stock 853 heads and they appeared to be the same size. Would the difference have been noticeable to the eye or should I take one off and use a pair of calipers on it?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
I can not be completely sure as I did not measure them before installing them. I simply compared them to the Patriot locators I removed from my stock 853 heads and they appeared to be the same size. Would the difference have been noticeable to the eye or should I take one off and use a pair of calipers on it?
They should seem fairly tight to the valve guide. If they feel loose then you have a problem. And your heads have stock GM guides in them? Never been machined or anything like that? I've seen some guides that were machined on top be too small to hold the seals.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
They should seem fairly tight to the valve guide. If they feel loose then you have a problem. And your heads have stock GM guides in them? Never been machined or anything like that? I've seen some guides that were machined on top be too small to hold the seals.
Yes, that's about the only thing I am very certain of. I do not recall the locators feeling at all loose around the guide when installing them. I'll verify this weekend, maybe even this evening if weather permits, so that we can work with facts instead of out of memory.

Quick Reply: Ever had vss that wouldn't stay on the seat?