Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running E-85 w/ H/C/I Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone Running E-85 w/ H/C/I Setup???

Just curious if anyone is running this, and if so, what fueling updrades would need to be done in order to support E-85? The idea was running through my head. I'll be installing the AI Dart/RHS heads and Accel 44lb/hr injectors to go with my Tick cam. I wasn't sure if those injectors are enough to support E-85 and if I would need other fueling components as well. Again, just throwing around the idea. I know the forced induction guys running E-85 love it and it's really beneficial.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Do you have the tuning data on the Accels?

If not, call FIC immediately and get some Bosch EV14s. The 52lbs would work and are E85 compatible. Then get you a Deatschwerks DW300 pump. E85 capable and will support a lot of HP.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Do you have the tuning data on the Accels?

If not, call FIC immediately and get some Bosch EV14s. The 52lbs would work and are E85 compatible. Then get you a Deatschwerks DW300 pump. E85 capable and will support a lot of HP.
Here is what I found on the Accel 44lb/hr injectors:

Product Description:
ACCEL Fuel Injector 150144 has a flow rate of 44 lbs. per hour.

Provides precise control of fuel delivery & atomization for increased power, improved throttle response, & better fuel economy
All new units; not modified stock units or remanufactured from used cores
New low-mass disc design ensures accurate metering control even at ultra-low & high duty cycles
44 lbs/hr Static flow rating. New low-mass disc design ensures accurate metering control even at ultra-low and high duty cycles. This process ensures accuracy of 1-1.5%. Operates at higher fuel pressures without loss of metering control. Great for blown applications where increased fuel pressure and precise metering are required. State-of-the-art manufacturing processes reduce flow deviations between injectors to improve performance. Low- and High-impedance designs available to match most commercial applications. Provides precise control of fuel delivery and atomization for increased power, improved throttle response and better fuel economy. All-new units!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

No no. The tuning data. Otherwise, your tuner has to work to interpolate for them to work right. It can be done, and a good tuner can make it work, but it's all just a guess. If you buy from FIC, they give you the data (battery offset, IFR, Minimum Injector pulse width, small and default pulse width, injector voltage correction, injector pulse width voltage adjustment, etc.) and all the sets are flow-matched. The Bosch EV14s are all new as well.

If you hang out on EFIlive or HPTuners forums you'll see how big a pain in the *** injector tuning can be. That's the single biggest reasons a lot of cars don't run optimally. Bosch injectors have good data (as our car has Bosch injectors stock) and the EV14s are their newest and best line. I'm willing to bet the Accel's are based on the Lucas type pencil disk, which is optimal for FI - not for our cars NA. The Bosch ball approach is better since that's what GM used to create our heads/spark/tune. Better fuel atomization and response at idle.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 04-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have the tuning data because I didn't put them on yet; going to be putting them on when the new heads go on.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your dynamic compression going to be with the new setup? E85 is damn near as expensive as regular gas here now and you use 20-25% more. If there's no need for it I'd avoid it.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I don't have the tuning data because I didn't put them on yet; going to be putting them on when the new heads go on.
Yeah, the tuning data comes with the injectors... Ask the vendor you bought them from. Some have the data, i.e., for the Siemens Deka 60s, and can give to you.

That's why I went with FIC. They give you the data in an HPTuner or EFI Live file and your tuner just uploads to your ECM. That part of the tune is done with good data.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

If not, and the tuner is good, they probably have a decent way to interpolate the data. I actually have a couple of spreadsheets to calculate the offsets from stock to whatever size injector. It works well until you get to those 80+lbs injectors. Then just plug those numbers in and it's good to go.

I'll have to dig them up.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
If not, and the tuner is good, they probably have a decent way to interpolate the data. I actually have a couple of spreadsheets to calculate the offsets from stock to whatever size injector. It works well until you get to those 80+lbs injectors. Then just plug those numbers in and it's good to go.

I'll have to dig them up.
That would be cool if you could dig them up and hook me up with a copy.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running E-85 w/ H/C/I Setup???