Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming build options and in need of opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming build options and in need of opinions

I am wanting to build a new motor for my ta. I'm still getting the setup I have dialed in so this may sound stupid but I know already I'm going to want more. Plus I'm a bit of a planner. I don't like to just fly by the seat of my pants and hope for the best.

With that being said I have considered two routes. In either of these options I don't want to have to completely start from scratch. I'm open to changing the converter and as of right now the trans is the weak link but I haven't decided if I want to go th400 or attempt to keep overdrive. With the current gearing I'm probably going to need to keep overdrive.

Option 1: iron block n/a stroker

Probably 408, unless budget would allow me to go nuts and build off a lsx block. The torque would make an awesome street car and should sixty like crazy. My concern here is cost but I'm also wondering just how high you can spin a motor like this reliably.

Option 2: small cube n2o or supercharger

Realistically a nitrous application. I already have a wet kit on the car. What got me considering this is that I have been hearing a lot about the durability of the 4.8. If I were to do this I would have to spin it at least 7k I would think. Probably closer to 8k. Downside to me is that I don't want to slow down n/a to go faster on the bottle. And if I were to attempt a 4.8 what would I have to do to keep the torque of my ls1. I'm cutting 1.57 sixty foot times as it is.

In a perfect world I run a supercharged setup but like I said I already have the n2o. Haven't really got a chance to play with it and I'm concerned that I have too much gear to run it in the 1/4. 1/8 mile I'd be fine though. I'll know more next weekend when I make my first passes on 28" tires.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Why not 408 and the nitrous?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its feesable to spin it that high I don't have a problem doing it. I know the nitrous is going to make it rev much quicker putting me at a higher rpm through the trap.

With 4.10s and the 4l60 I was hitting the limiter (6800) at the 1000 ft mark on 26" tires. If the math is right I should be ok up to 130 mph on the 28s. Putting me in the ball park of 6400 rpm. This is going to be my first full on engine build that I am actually planning myself. I did an lt1 where I basically told the machine shop what I wanted to do and they built it. I want to get hands on with this one.

Quick Reply: Upcoming build options and in need of opinions