Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on valve springs...and main studs... and more 6.0 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on valve springs...and main studs... and more 6.0 build

I'm building a 6.0 for my 79 z28 and I'm running into some snags...
-block is a brand new 2001 block.
-The Crank is a stock 6.0 crank from an 01 silverado 200k miles
-heads are the 317 heads off the same 01 silverado
-pistons are stock take outs from an lq4 (new)
-lunati 60516 camshaft -- 219/223 duration, 625/625 lift, 112lsa
-cloyes double roller timing chain
-gmperformance lifters
-gm performance main bearings
-gmperformance upgraded z06 clutch
-edelbrock 7118 carb'd intake kit
I think that's about all I have at this point

When I was talking to the guy who balanced my crank and pistons he recommended that I use ARP main studs. But then he also said to use studs instead of bolts you have to machine the block to use studs?? I've never heard of that before. I'm looking for some imput if you guys did this or if you stuck with stock bolts or what. I was thinking maybe that's something you do to aluminum blocks? but mine is steel

I also need some imput if You think I should the stock 317 heads or get new ones. If new ones what is the good affordable head. If I use the 317's I would do a home port job and then take them in for a valve job, new valves, new valve spring kit and full roller rockers.

I still have a lot to do. any tips and pointers towards assembly/build and parts list is appreciated. I'm not trying to build a full out race machine just a decent street occasional strip motor. hoping to hit around 500 HP

the guy at the shop recommended i use comp cams 26918CS-KIT which is rated at .625 maximum lift. which seems low for a .625 cam.

Lunati makes a kit too but he said because it was a low price that it's a garbage kit.

I think this is about all the questions at this point in time. Look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Thanks, Stuart
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not gonna be much help but I wouldn't push the 918's to .625. PAC and PSI both have nice capable beehives if that's what you want. As far as main studs I believe the clamping force is different and that's why you need to have the mains line honed with the studs in place
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by outkast6991
I'm not gonna be much help but I wouldn't push the 918's to .625. PAC and PSI both have nice capable beehives if that's what you want. As far as main studs I believe the clamping force is different and that's why you need to have the mains line honed with the studs in place
I'm just looking for the most affordable way to safely use my cam... If it's dual springs or behives. Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out those two brands and see if i like them
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goldta78
I'm building a 6.0 for my 79 z28 and I'm running into some snags...
-block is a brand new 2001 block.
-The Crank is a stock 6.0 crank from an 01 silverado 200k miles
-heads are the 317 heads off the same 01 silverado
-pistons are stock take outs from an lq4 (new)
-lunati 60516 camshaft -- 219/223 duration, 625/625 lift, 112lsa
-cloyes double roller timing chain
-gmperformance lifters
-gm performance main bearings
-gmperformance upgraded z06 clutch
-edelbrock 7118 carb'd intake kit
I think that's about all I have at this point

When I was talking to the guy who balanced my crank and pistons he recommended that I use ARP main studs. But then he also said to use studs instead of bolts you have to machine the block to use studs?? I've never heard of that before. I'm looking for some imput if you guys did this or if you stuck with stock bolts or what. I was thinking maybe that's something you do to aluminum blocks? but mine is steel

I also need some imput if You think I should the stock 317 heads or get new ones. If new ones what is the good affordable head. If I use the 317's I would do a home port job and then take them in for a valve job, new valves, new valve spring kit and full roller rockers.

I still have a lot to do. any tips and pointers towards assembly/build and parts list is appreciated. I'm not trying to build a full out race machine just a decent street occasional strip motor. hoping to hit around 500 HP

the guy at the shop recommended i use comp cams 26918CS-KIT which is rated at .625 maximum lift. which seems low for a .625 cam.

Lunati makes a kit too but he said because it was a low price that it's a garbage kit.

I think this is about all the questions at this point in time. Look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Thanks, Stuart
goldta78, First of all congrats on your build. I would recommend that if you have already purchased a Lunati cam, Call their tech line and discuss the spring option with them. All cam manufactures are notourious for making slight changes to their cams for reasons only know to them. They would know better than anyone else what works best with their setup's. As far as Lunati being junk, I would have to disagree with your mechanic. Everyone has their own recomendations. Mine are 100% Lunati great stuff.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Lunati is top quality stuff. I agree with Bama.

I'm not sure why your machinest would recommend studs. The bolts are fine, even with boost. Studs btw are about $250. And I'd bet the align hone would be even more given the tedious nature of assembling 6 bolts per cap with the studs.

Ron
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Lunati duals are better than the 918's for sure. The dual's are way more durable than the beehive springs.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Lunati is top quality stuff. I agree with Bama.

I'm not sure why your machinest would recommend studs. The bolts are fine, even with boost. Studs btw are about $250. And I'd bet the align hone would be even more given the tedious nature of assembling 6 bolts per cap with the studs.

Ron

I thought the same thing that's why I spent $400 on the Lunati cam. I thought they were one of the top brands.

The reason he said not to buy the Lunati valve spring kit was because they are $252. He said, "you get what you pay for and for that cheap it's probably some Chinese junk."
But he told me, "Comp Cams just bought out Lunati and you will see an increase in quality, because Lately Lunati's quality has been garbage."

I appreciate the imput. does anyone else have any Ideas about the main studs vs main bolts? I'm not trying to be a cheap-***. but if i can avoid wasting 200$ on studs/line hoaning then I will just use bolts.
The guy selling parts said I should use the ARP studs because it makes the motor %50 stronger. but he is a salesman
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with talking with the company you got the cam from. Martin form Tick recommend me using BTR valve springs with my Polluter Stage3 Cam I just got, also I got a package deal getting the springs and cam together. I'm also going to be getting a set of their lifters to go along with my 6 liter build.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smws6ta
Agree with talking with the company you got the cam from. Martin form Tick recommend me using BTR valve springs with my Polluter Stage3 Cam I just got, also I got a package deal getting the springs and cam together. I'm also going to be getting a set of their lifters to go along with my 6 liter build.
Lunati sells a kit for it, but I only bought the cam. The springs listed above are the ones from the kit. but I didn't buy them cuz the guy at the race shop said not to

Quick Reply: Need some advice on valve springs...and main studs... and more 6.0 build