Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle/screech type noise. G-body Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle/screech type noise. G-body Swap

I have an 86 Monte Carlo SS i recently finished a LS1 swap into out of a 2000 Trans am. Upon tear down of the LS1 I found 4 of the cam lobes were pitted/chewed up whatever. SO i had the whole bottom end rebuilt. New Bearings, rings, etc. Now that it is running and driving I have a whistle/screech/squeal under acceleration roughly 1500 rpm and up when under load. And also slightly on decel. In park if i rev it up it comes in for just a sec on the accel and decel. Tried without the belt, still there, tried without pcv still there. I reminded me of a vacuum leak but now that i have eliminated most of the vacuum area it almost sounds like spark knock. Also cannot pinpoint where it is coming from. Sounds the loudest by the driver side header/ bell housing area but i cant pinpoint where it is. Used a stethoscope and listened to the oil pan, block, heads, as much of the valley cover as i could and it all sounds smooth and quiet. Been banging my head on the walls for 4 days now. In the 200 or so miles i have on it i have only ran Shell or BP 93 octane. Used Valvoline vr1 racing oil 10w30 and first changed it at 103 miles. Please give me some ideas.

Engine Specs, Ls1, TS 228r 112lsa, valve springs (ts recommended), ts hardened push rods, non egr ls1 intake swap, 80mm bbk throttle body, Hedman g-body swap headers, ls7 lifters and trays, ls2 timing chain. 4l60e with 3600 stall. Mail order tune (just to break engine in at home) once the bugs are out of it I plan to have a dyno tune.

Quick Reply: Whistle/screech type noise. G-body Swap