Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Noise on cold starts? Maybe? (Video Link)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Noise on cold starts? Maybe? (Video Link)

01 Camaro LQ4 with Ls1 Accessories.

On cold starts theirs a whining noise coming from the PS pump area. The noise doesn't change when turning the wheel but does from hitting the gas.(gets more violent.) The noise stops after a sound of what seems to be pressure releasing. This happens within 30 sec to a minute of idle/driving. After that I rarely hear it again. If I do hear it again I would describe the noise (listening from in the cab) as a dremel tool running under the hood followed by the pressure release sound. I've searched for answers but only turn up with the common questions about noises do to air in the system ext. this is no normal ps noise that ive heard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a bearing screaming for its life.
probably the alternator, remove the belt you should
find it spinning everything by hand.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

God I wasnt expecting that.But as mentioned,take the belt off.It wont be hard to find what the noise is.Can be an idler,alt,waterpump,a/c etc. I also hear some piston slap or some lifter/rocker noise when you revved it near the end.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested to find out what this is. My car does the same thing but all the time. I can only hear it when sitting at idle.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply's. I was leaning towards the thought of it being a bearing myself, I was only skeptical because its not a constant noise. Better to ask around than go into it blind and waste time. Ill be pulling the belt later tonight, I'll keep you guys updated. If not I will follow up on what the problem was once I have fixed it.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Its the AIR pump..........don't worry about it. Most make some noise.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes that def is the air pump. They only run on start up the longest on cold start up and run until the O2 sensors come on line about 20-30 seconds. The noise is 1 of the 2 fan blade/squirell cages rubbing internally,,,,,,eventually it will quit making noise which will be followed a cpl days later with the check engine light as the motor will have died. I went to Fry's electronics and bought a roll of 20 gauge magnet wire and rewound My Moms' pump in Her Cadillac and it works great but unless You're into that kind of stuff I would'nt suggest You try that ,,,,they're only 200 bucks after-market
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Yes that def is the air pump. They only run on start up the longest on cold start up and run until the O2 sensors come on line about 20-30 seconds. The noise is 1 of the 2 fan blade/squirell cages rubbing internally,,,,,,eventually it will quit making noise which will be followed a cpl days later with the check engine light as the motor will have died. I went to Fry's electronics and bought a roll of 20 gauge magnet wire and rewound My Moms' pump in Her Cadillac and it works great but unless You're into that kind of stuff I would'nt suggest You try that ,,,,they're only 200 bucks after-market
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. Ive had my car for less than a year so I'm very new to the LS scene. With that said I love my car and anything that I think needs a fix I've been quick to figure out how to get it resolved. I'm learning alot! I also appreciate your approach with redoing the coil yourself.

Quick Reply: PS Noise on cold starts? Maybe? (Video Link)