Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 with lots of metal particles in oil and piece of broken lifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 with lots of metal particles in oil and piece of broken lifter

I recently bought a 2005 CTS-V with 120K miles on it. The first time I changed the oil after 1,500 miles, there was LOTS of tiny silver particles in the oil, some metallic sludge on the drain plug, and a 1/4" piece of what turns out was a broken lifter. Apparently, this engine had a bad knock when the dealer bought it at auction. They took it to a motor shop (I use that term loosely) who found a broken lifter and a spun rod bearing. They replaced the crank and mains and the broken lifter and gave it back to the dealer. The dealer subsequently drove the car for >6,000 mi before I bought it and put on another 1,500 miles. So, the engine ran with all that metal in the motor for ~8,000 miles. The "motor shop" changed the oil and found no new metal in the filter so they called it "good". Well, after the dealer agreed to give and extended warranty on the motor, I developed a lifter knock...almost certainly due to contamination. Now, they are trying to get me to accept a lifter repair as "the fix" and I am saying "no way". All of that got into the main bearings and rod bearing. Isn't it only a matter of a short time before the lower end fails too?

I'm saying a want the motor rebuilt by a competent shop with a warranty and I'd be will to pay for 1/2 of the motor less install cost. Sound fair?

Here is the video.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM

What should I do??
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If its been driving around with debris in it then the piston walls are probably scored up pretty bad.. Among other things..

It needs to be tore apart, cleaned, inspected and see which parts can be salvaged.. Hopefully you can reuse some of the big expensive parts..
Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Sounds as tho

Originally Posted by Buzzboy317
What should I do??
You already have a plan. Demand a rebuilt engine. No deal, call your lawyer.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Whats your warranty say is covered? Most of these dealer warranties are aftermarket and the dealer at that point doesn't have a say in the repair unless he is self insuring. You need to be dealing directly with the warranty company.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most warranty companies have a deductable for a repair like this. The dealer I got my Silverado from did the same thing to me when my trans blew out from under me with only 800~ miles on it after I got her. They tried to get me for the whole repair but then found in the history that the radiator had a coolant leak on the trans line side and that it was never fixed before I got the truck. Moral of the story is, DON'T TRUST THE DEALER, EVER!!! Don't let them push you around, if there's proof that they did the motor half assed like you say they did, you already have them by the *****. Go for the new motor, I would.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks for reinforcing my position. Talking to an attorney today.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An LS6 or LS1 shortblock can be had for pretty cheap now, I'd get it fixed to the best of your ability and go from there. You bought a 120k mile used car from a sleazy dealer, take what you can get.

The sleazy lawyer will only take more of your money and there never will be a resolution as lawyers make money by creating litigation, not resolving problems. I have six lawyers in my family...opposing sides speak with each other in their off time in an effort to create a never ending ordeal, thus costing everyone more money.

Quick Reply: LS6 with lots of metal particles in oil and piece of broken lifter