Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice? Broken exhaust bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice? Broken exhaust bolt.

I have a broken exhaust bolt and its sunk down in the hole just enough that you cant get a hold of it. I started by drilling a small hole in the center and was using a ez out kit from snap on with the proper drill bits. Bad thing is the ez out snapped the end off in the hole. Tried drilling again and of course they are hardened. Anyone got any tricks to getting these bolt out of the head?? Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Find a washer with a hole the same size as the broken bolt, weld the washer to the broken bolt, weld a nut to the washer, remove with wrench.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Find a washer with a hole the same size as the broken bolt, weld the washer to the broken bolt, weld a nut to the washer, remove with wrench.
Great idea. Thanks! I had thought about welding a nut on but figured it wouldn't hold good because of depth in the nut and getting good penetration. Sometimes the simplest fix don't even cross my mind lol Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Done this a few times to remove some studs on some equipment, works great if I can't get a good bite on it with a vise grip.

Quick Reply: Any advice? Broken exhaust bolt.