Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls newbie with some questions about a new build

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls newbie with some questions about a new build

as the title says, I am an LS newb, I have built a few mustangs, and have some old school gm cars. one of them has gave up the ghost on the motor. first off here is the car:
ls newbie with some questions about a new build-20130329_135006.jpg
the supercharger (yes I know this photo was taken before I installed it) ate the bearings up, (too much power for the stock 350). so I have a slight dilemma, I can rebuild the 350 with some improvements, or do an LS motor. I figure my budget is about 4-5k either way (the less the better). In taking stock of what I have available I have (1) 6.0L out of a 2004 HD2500 truck, and (2) 5.3L that I cant remember what they came out of. All of them were removed because of one failure or another. the 6L has a bad valve but the bottom end should be just fine. here is what i'm wondering, would the 5.3 be better to build, or the 6L? this is definitely not a daily driver, so budget horsepower is how I wanna go. what it makes is what it make, I already have nitrous run thru the car so i have an easy power adder. any thoughts? maybe work the 5.3 heads and put it on the 6.0? add a cam and intake? any input is helpful. i did a search for ls builds, and learned some. The issue is i'm such a newb that i don't even know what goes with what.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to the LS1Tech Forums. You definitely came to the right place to learn about these engines.
Second, "There's no replacement for displacement" and that quote still runs true, probably always will.
Third, go with the 6L (LQ9) and try and locate some 823 LS3 heads or L92 heads to go on it.
I'll let a couple of the others on here fill in the rest as there is sooooo much you can do to these motors. Look up www.texas-speed.com/ these guys know the LS motors inside out and upside down.
Best of luck with your build bud, hope to see it running soon.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One more vote for the 6.0L. It's out of a truck so its most likely the LQ4 with a dished piston. I would go with said above ^^^ a ls3 top end, (ls3 heads / intake) or you could do a ls6 top end (243 heads / ls6 intake). Either way I would choose / mill the heads to get you in the 10.5:1 compression range.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ls engine all the way...cheaper and more efficient than a sbc...like they said buy the biggest engine you can afford!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:43 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Supercharged small blocks can be pretty potent, what blower is on the SBC? Do you plan on running nitrous on either engine?

If you go with the LS swap, I would put the 5.3L heads on the 6.0L shortblock, especially if it has dished pistons. That would get your compression ratio up. The 5.3L heads also have small valves, so using the bigger valves out of the 6.0L truck heads and having a valve job cut for them in the 5.3L heads will also help make power, and ensure the freshly machined valve job will seal up and not leave it to chance that the used heads don't have a beat/worn valvejob.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you have access to an LQ4, which is from my understanding a pretty sought after foundation for any boost application. Since you are looking at this project with budget in mind you may utilize the existing 317 heads and put in more valve. Sell your SBC blower and get a blower for the LS. Just my thought, but there are hundreds of different combo's you can go with. Pick a direction and head that way. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much guys. you have given me a great place to start. now I can feed my internet addiction and spend countless hours looking up parts and builds I do plan on freshening up the sbc and blower (a b&m 144) to sell, and that should pay for about half this build. the information you guys have given my is exactly what I was looking for. so again THANKS!!

Quick Reply: ls newbie with some questions about a new build