Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It has begun - Gathering parts for Spring Build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It has begun - Gathering parts for Spring Build!

Just got back late yesterday from dropping off my spare 241's at TEA. Got to see some nice work in progress and a couple SUPER nice cars...Including a classic Corvette Convertible.

Those heads will be Stage 1 CNC on stock valves. Basically as listed on their website.

I stopped by Summit Racing on my way home (it's like 4 miles from TEA) and found on the shelf in the plastic a SLP 85mm MAF for 40 bucks. figured WTF at that price i'll try it!

Installed the Hurst Billet Shifter last night with a TNA short shaft.

Prothane poly motor mounts

Pacesetter LT headers

TSP Catted Y

SLP Catback

Intake options range from stock to Radical Ported LS2 (have core already) to fast 92/90 if the right deal jumps up. TB will be matched to the respective intake as well as a matching Lid.

Looking at 30/36lb injectors. need to do the sending unit anyways so an upgraded pump will be going in as well.

Camshaft is probably gonna be custom. still waiting to hear back from a couple guys. OTS cams im looking at are Tick's Polluter V1/V2 and FTI's StreetSweeper.

All said & done i'll be expecting 425-475whp thru the 6spd and i see a 9" within the 12 months after it's complete.

Sad part? My Bike may still make more HP at the ground than the camaro when it's finished:

Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That bike dyno graph is nuts! Nice!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
That bike dyno graph is nuts! Nice!!!
2011 Suzuki Hayabusa

Fully Forged Internals on stock crank
1/2" head studs
cometic gasket
stock head w/ springs & stainless valves
Turbonetics GT-28 class turbo
Non-intercooled billet plenum
62lb secondary injectors
Bosch 044 pump
-6 lines
GM 3 bar MAP
Boost-by-gear
All running through the stock suzuki ECU

Running 6psi on pump fuel for 262hp on 93 octane or 271hp on E85 (low boost)
Takes 24psi to make the chart look like that one

8.39 @ 180.03 best 1/4 and 222.9 in the mile first time out

BTW...I emailed you about a cam selection. I'll probably be in touch shortly
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by fubar569
2011 Suzuki Hayabusa

Fully Forged Internals on stock crank
1/2" head studs
cometic gasket
stock head w/ springs & stainless valves
Turbonetics GT-28 class turbo
Non-intercooled billet plenum
62lb secondary injectors
Bosch 044 pump
-6 lines
GM 3 bar MAP
Boost-by-gear
All running through the stock suzuki ECU

Running 6psi on pump fuel for 262hp on 93 octane or 271hp on E85 (low boost)
Takes 24psi to make the chart look like that one

8.39 @ 180.03 best 1/4 and 222.9 in the mile first time out

BTW...I emailed you about a cam selection. I'll probably be in touch shortly
Crap. As in Holy
Old 11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just got back late yesterday from dropping off my spare 241's at TEA. Got to see some nice work in progress and a couple SUPER nice cars...Including a classic Corvette Convertible. Those heads will be Stage 1 CNC on stock valves. Basically as listed on their website. I stopped by Summit Racing on my way home (it's like 4 miles from TEA) and found on the shelf in the plastic a SLP 85mm MAF for 40 bucks. figured WTF at that price i'll try it! Installed the Hurst Billet Shifter last night with a TNA short shaft. Prothane poly motor mounts Pacesetter LT headers TSP Catted Y SLP Catback Intake options range from stock to Radical Ported LS2 (have core already) to fast 92/90 if the right deal jumps up. TB will be matched to the respective intake as well as a matching Lid. Looking at 30/36lb injectors. need to do the sending unit anyways so an upgraded pump will be going in as well. Camshaft is probably gonna be custom. still waiting to hear back from a couple guys. OTS cams im looking at are Tick's Polluter V1/V2 and FTI's StreetSweeper. All said & done i'll be expecting 425-475whp thru the 6spd and i see a 9" within the 12 months after it's complete. Sad part? My Bike may still make more HP at the ground than the camaro when it's finished:
I'm not so convinced the StreetSweeper will be for you. That's not saying Ed Curtis cam isn't for you, but he excels, exponentially, in the custom department.

You need to fill out the cam sheet, telling him ALL your mods, gear ratios, head flow #'s, everything. The whole 9 yards, as well as usage and goals.

Let him spec you a CUSTOM cam with everything that's going to benefit YOUR setup.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm not so convinced the StreetSweeper will be for you. That's not saying Ed Curtis cam isn't for you, but he excels, exponentially, in the custom department.

You need to fill out the cam sheet, telling him ALL your mods, gear ratios, head flow #'s, everything. The whole 9 yards, as well as usage and goals.

Let him spec you a CUSTOM cam with everything that's going to benefit YOUR setup.
I have sent a message to Ed as well as spoke with Martin@Tick today on the phone. We went over pretty much everything pertaining to the anticipated build and came up with what I believe will be an excellent choice.

I can say this...Martin was a pleasure to speak with and really took the time to explain everything even though at times it was a little over my head...
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sent a message to Ed as well as spoke with Martin@Tick today on the phone. We went over pretty much everything pertaining to the anticipated build and came up with what I believe will be an excellent choice.

I can say this...Martin was a pleasure to speak with and really took the time to explain everything even though at times it was a little over my head...

Ok - I'm sure it's in the queue. I've been porting a Glidden Victor intake manifold for a customer in Dubai and haven't had much time for the keyboard.

If you "need" to talk to someone, give a call to Mike or Stry at New Era Performance in NY. They have all kinds of dyno info on the various grinds I provide to them and they can discuss your project with you. I don't have time for the phone like my buddy Martin does because there's work to do here in the shop.

(gotcha Martin)

Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

Ok - I'm sure it's in the queue. I've been porting a Glidden Victor intake manifold for a customer in Dubai and haven't had much time for the keyboard.

If you "need" to talk to someone, give a call to Mike or Stry at New Era Performance in NY. They have all kinds of dyno info on the various grinds I provide to them and they can discuss your project with you. I don't have time for the phone like my buddy Martin does because there's work to do here in the shop.

(gotcha Martin)

HAHAHA...I Lol'd pretty hard...

Ed your name comes up so much i just figured you were a busy guy. no harm no foul. speaks volumes when people from that far away come to you for work!

I intend to have New Era do all of the tuning on the car as they're so close to me anyways...no more of a drive than TEA was...

I'll be sure to give them a call on monday and see what they have to say.

Thanks for popping in!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis

(gotcha Martin)

You should ask Mike about that baby LS3 cam they tuned the other week that I spec'd that made 486/452 on the New Era rollers in cam only trim.

That was a cam they told said customer that it could never touch an Ed Curtis grind.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It has begun...
Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
It has begun...
Not really -

Martin only posts up dyno numbers - not all the info. I'm sure he will *eventually*.....
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do we really need to start this up in another thread?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Fight Nice Children!

Just got off the phone with Greg @ TEA and Martin @ Tick. We've made a change to the head package and Martin came up with what i feel will be a great cam for this application.

Martin is having Greg & crew set the heads up per his specs to perfectly match the cam he spec'd. Should be bolt-on after checking PTV (just to be safe but should clear without issue).

Talked to New Era about the tune. We're on pace for end of march/beginning of april if all goes well.

What i like most about this combination so far is they've made it totally 100% painless. I don't think i could ask for better customer service from either vendor.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

TEA is awesome to work with as is Martin... should make for an outstanding combo.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

That's great. I've been trying to get a hold of TEA for over a week now. Can you reveal your new setup?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
That's great. I've been trying to get a hold of TEA for over a week now. Can you reveal your new setup?
They were a bear to get a hold of for the first 3 or 4 days. It's busy season. everyone's tearing down and submitting work. they are SWAMPED and it ain't gonna get any prettier once the snow hits.

I PROMISE you it will be worth the wait however. Greg was nothing short of awesome both on the phone and in person when i dropped my heads off.

Old Setup

Stock as stock can be 2000 Z28 M6 sans lid & catback. that's IT.

New Setup:

TEA Stg 1 CNC 241's. Intake, exhaust, blended, valve job, lunati springs (specific to my application), retainers, locks, etc. all good stuff and hand assembled per Martin @ Tick's specs for the cam. OTD price about 1150 bucks

Tick Performance Custom Cam by Martin. Gonna pull a manufacturer move here and insert some x's... cam is: 23x/24x .6xx"/.59x" 111+3 - Sort of a hybrid of 3 different cams as Martin explained to get what he thought would be optimum valve events for the combo i am running. It SHOULD clear stock heads/pistons without a flycut with a .040 gasket but as always i was told to verify proper clearances. Price: 399.99 OTD

Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT's - not much to explain here - $200 used in the classifieds

Catted Y - take your pick - price: about 300ish

SLP Catback - came on car. - price: free

SLP 85mm MAF - found on clearance at summit - Price: 40 bucks

Intake is undecided. If my LS2 sells (posted in classifieds) I will ride the stock LS1 intake til i can find a FAST 92/90 or LSXr 102 to install with a 90/102 TB - Cost? Free for LS1 intake, 360 to have LS2 radically ported. 819.99 for FAST LSXr 102.

Injectors - again depends on intake. I have LS2 rail & Injectors. I am told the LS2 are 33lb injectors. I know i will need EV1/EV6 adapters. If i run the LS2 these will get swapped on with rail and intake. If not i'll ride stockers til i get the 92/90 rigged up. if i luck into a 102 i will keep the rail and injectors as they are a direct fit. - Price: free to roughly 125 bucks.

Tuning: To be done by New Era Performance. Price is yet to be determined.

I am guessing i should be well into the 400's at the ground and 430-450whp is typical with these specifications (per Martin).

I have other Misc parts going on as well...such as Poly motor mounts, hotchkis LCA's, etc. that are more maintenance than anything...
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Well this deserves a bit of an update as things have changed directions for the 4th or 5th time and I just got another boatload of stuff in.

Somewhere along the way i got a LQ4 for a song & a dance...turns out both heads were shot but all i needed was the block anyways.

The block just got back from the machine shop.

.030 over for 370cid - It looks pretty in burnt copper:

I talked to Martin and he seems to think my planned SBE combo will work very well on a 370cid so here's what we got so far:

Tick Custom Cam: 23x/24x .61x"/.59x" 111+3
TEA CNC'd 241's - Unmilled - Lunati Springs set per Martin @ Tick to match cam
ALL ARP hardware (heads, mains, rods, cam, balancer, etc)
LS6 Intake
PP 85mm TB
85mm MAF
42lb Injectors
SLP Lid
Powerbond 25% UDP
Pacesetter 1 3/4" LT's - TSP ORY - SLP Catback...although i have a set of dumps i can run or convert the dumps into a set of side exits.
Poly Motor/Trans Mounts
Hotchkis LCA's
Subframe Connectors
McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch
A Partridge & a Pear Tree...

There's a metric Fucktonne more i'm forgetting. These are the major parts on a short list that i can remember off the top of my head.

Hoping for an install date about 2 months out and hope to have New Era still do the tuning shortly thereafter.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a real nice combo......the block looks cool in that color !!

Quick Reply: It has begun - Gathering parts for Spring Build!