Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did my first oil change and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just did my first oil change and have a few questions

First, I never noticed this before but when I am in park and rev the engine, I notice the oil pressure go up. Being I have never paid any attention to the oil pressure gauge in the past, I was just curious if this is normal or should I now being to sh*t my pants? I also use 4.5 qrts of Valvoline 10w40 with a qrt of Slick 50 engine cleaner. I also notice the engine block shakes a little, but I think that is normal. Any advice if this is not normal or a bitch slap if it is perfectly normal would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Slap urself! HAHA Naw man your all good, oil pressure rises with rpms because your oil pump is turning or pumping faster hence oil pressure rises within the engine. Engine shakin is it really shakin or is a healthy little rumble? A lot of differences in shaking, you should know if its bad. Slick 50 engine cleaner that is interesting I havent seen anyone use that stuff in a long a** time, I use straight up Mobil 1 0w40 full synthetic. Good Luck
Old 05-08-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Everybody Starts Somewhere

LOL Don't feel bad about asking questions. Not everybody is a mechanic, and no matter where they are now, everybody was a total newb on their first oil change. The oil pressure IS supposed to rise w/ the engine work load. I'm no mechanic either, but it's the car making sure the pistons are fully lubed even under high RPM's. The engine shaking is also totally normal. After awhile you'll start to know what's right, and what's not. One day you may lose a motor mount (they holds the engine in the car), and by then you'll KNOW that something isn't right. Welcome to the forums, congrats on your first big step into the big bright world of the oil change, and asking questions and getting it right is better than not asking, and turning your LS1 into a gernade.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Sweet thanks a bunch guys, yea, I guess it's a healthy rumble.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PS - 4.5quarts is way low. Run a minimum of 5.5 quarts. I run 6 (to the top of the crosshatch on the dipstick).

Dope
Old 05-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Adinsx
First, I never noticed this before but when I am in park and rev the engine, I notice the oil pressure go up. Being I have never paid any attention to the oil pressure gauge in the past, I was just curious if this is normal or should I now being to sh*t my pants? I also use 4.5 qrts of Valvoline 10w40 with a qrt of Slick 50 engine cleaner. I also notice the engine block shakes a little, but I think that is normal. Any advice if this is not normal or a bitch slap if it is perfectly normal would be very much appreciated.

I am not familiar with Slick 50 "engine cleaner" , but, re-read the bottle. Most engine cleaners do not recommend running it as a oil substitute hence the name CLEANER. Most call for idle only for a period of time and then changing with new oil.

Read this before driving http://www.dragnbreath.com/dragnbrea...additives.html
Old 05-08-2004, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, it said to substitute one qrt of engine oil during next oil change. It is "Engine Treatment" so I guess "cleaner" was a poor choice of words on my part.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adinsx
Hmmm, it said to substitute one qrt of engine oil during next oil change. It is "Engine Treatment" so I guess "cleaner" was a poor choice of words on my part.
You should Pro Long instead, at least they give you $1,500 if your engine blows, or up to $1,500 for any part that fails that needs oil.