Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 with v2 7.4 push rods? trunion upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 with v2 7.4 push rods? trunion upgrade?

im working on a 2002 5.3 thats going in my bmw...

so far i have
-ls1 intake, injectors, tb, single line fuel rail
-v2 torquer cam in the mail.
-psi 1511 springs in mail.

i bought the motor from a buddy that was going to put it in an s10 so he just did head gaskets before so he wouldn't get stuck doing them in the truck.
heads and block are stock so i assume i need 7.4 pushrods. its on my engine stand so i can do cam swap with it upside down to prevent dropping a lifter.
then do valve springs with air compressor and proper tools.
is the trunion upgrade worth doing. this was a budget build but seems like its not much more to do them and should see some higher rpms with the cam.
also looking into the Improved Racing's crank scraper.

what else do i need? stock spring retainers be ok? front cover gasket. any other gaskets? also if i went to a ported head down the road will 1 5/8th headers be big enough to match up to heads? hate to have to make another set...
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should measure for the pushrod length you need. don't guess.

Trunion upgrade is a good idea when installing any aftermarket cam / valvetrain parts.

Also as far as oil control - I'd probably spend money on the oil pan baffle before I got the crank scraper. The baffle is a nice piece and highly effective based on what a lot of track guys have reported.

BTW good luck with the swap, should be a fun car when you're done. I'll be putting one in my E36 if it ever stops snowing.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
You should measure for the pushrod length you need. don't guess.

Trunion upgrade is a good idea when installing any aftermarket cam / valvetrain parts.

Also as far as oil control - I'd probably spend money on the oil pan baffle before I got the crank scraper. The baffle is a nice piece and highly effective based on what a lot of track guys have reported.

BTW good luck with the swap, should be a fun car when you're done. I'll be putting one in my E36 if it ever stops snowing.

ya ill have to see if a local shop has tool to measure push rod lengths...
think id need Trunion upgrade if i stay under 6500rpms? ive read some post about them failing also. but could of been installed wrong too...
as for my oil pan i need to mod a gto pan or get a swap kit for the e30 with custom built pan. so i thought the scraper would be extra help on top of that...

thanks for the info
Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I would do the trunion upgrade while youre in there. It took me half an hour taking my time using a bench vice and its well worth it.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just did the trunion upgrade on my build the same way as mjs1012 and it was really easy.

its one of the most recommended upgrades on ls1tech (from all i have gleaned.)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Teching In

ok trunion kit is on my list along with push rod length checker (then new push rods) and valve spring removal tools. timing cover gasket and front main seal...
and passably crank scraper along with whatever oil pan i go with...
stock valve spring caps will be fine i assume?

so as for ported heads is 1 5/8ths headers big enough or will the ported heads need 1 3/4" i want to do 1 5/8 for fitment its a snug spot so i will be making my own headers it looks like. but would hate to upgrade heads later and find out headers match up like crap or are holding it back. i don't want to make two sets that's for sure....
Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Teching In

ordered my comp cam pushrod length checker today at local shop. ill check if they can get my the trunion kit when i stop there Monday.... valve springs came in mail today.. waiting on cam now.

any other suggestions?

thanks again guys

Quick Reply: 5.3 with v2 7.4 push rods? trunion upgrade?