Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car goes insanely rich cruising?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car goes insanely rich cruising?!?!?!

mods to my car are in my sig.

this started 4 days ago. at first the car started bucking real bad for just a quick second. didnt think to look over at the wideband cause it happened so fast.
well yesterday on my way to work it started again and didnt stop for several minutes. cruising, at 75 mph, 1800ish RPMS the wideband read 9.4. i know the wideband is correct. as i said the car started bucking. well i pulled over. afr's then went to 11.4. AT IDLE! it smelt like straight fuel coming out of the tail pipe.
so i unplugged the maf, drove a couple miles. didnt change anything. pulled over, plugged maf back in and unplugged coolant temp sensor, drove a few miles, didnt change anything. my tuner came by yesterday and hooked up hptuners. everything looked fine other than the fact that idle afr was 11.4.
so we started unplugging injectors, and plugging them back in. well after that the car ran fine from noon yesterday till i started it this morning when i started doing it again. this time it triggered the SES light, which started flashing during the "bucking" indicating a misfire. well it threw a p0300 (random multiple missfire) which then ruleed out the thought of a stuck injector, or a bad connection. i cleared the codes and it was fine the last 20 minutes to work.
WTF IS GOING ON?!

my wideband sensor is on the passenger side. so before the SES light i thought the problem was on that side (injector, connection, etc) but now with the random missfire code it makes it seem like its all over.
other than the maf what controls all that? hptuners showed the maf reading correctly. i even changed it for another known working one i had laying around with no change.
plugs and wires were just changed about 3k miles ago
however the plugs are br8's (2.5 steps colder) cause i had a little spray on the car a few months ago.
whats the odds of the plugs being fouled already since they dont burn hot enough? would that cause it to come and go like this?
im really baffled by this.
all help is really appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

what are your fuel trims and maf reading when its doing it? have you check for plugged air filter or pcv?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rhino200099
what are your fuel trims and maf reading when its doing it? have you check for plugged air filter or pcv?
according to hptuners, everything is correct.
I did check for clogged air filter.
its nearing time to replace but ita fine.
didn't check pcv.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Could be a spark problem or your plugs fouled.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe, try the tune/diagnostics forum???

Quick Reply: car goes insanely rich cruising?!?!?!