Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 Motor Sand Rail Project

Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Motor Sand Rail Project

Building a Sand Rail. Want to use a stock motor for the build and focus $'s on building the project.

Got ahold a a 2006 LQ9 motor from a wrecked Silverado Denali Truck. After doing some research I found out the mileage is only about 60K. I have the motor in my garage now and on an engine stand. I do have the wiring harness and computer.

Aside from doing some general clean-up of the motor, i was wondering what "due -diligence" I should perform to be sure this motor is operational when time comes to fire it up in my new project.

Theoretically this Sand Rail project could take me a year or more to complete($'s).

I have thought pulling the intake and pan and even the heads but don't want to create unnecessary work for myself so early in the project.

What type of trouble shooting can I do now that will help create confidence that this motor has no issues.

Former (30+yearsagoSBCguy)
Complete newbie to the LSX world.
Have several good LS type books and am a sponge for information.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

rob

Last edited by rstepp; 02-07-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What kind of rpm do you intend to turn it?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had a knowledgable answer for you. I would hope not more than about 5k or 6K. After I get the project "turn Key" I will build another motor for it that will be more performance based. I guess for the sand a motor with good low end torque is desirable.

I'm thinking about building a 408 stroker in the future.

I might try and turbo this motor. Very conservative boost. Not out to win any races, just something reliable and has the ability to get out of it's own way.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Drain oil, cut open filter and inspect, inspect the spark plugs, and do a lead own test. If everything looks okay, I'd say you have a healthy engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ9 Motor Sand Rail Project