Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a spring kit or just springs for this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a spring kit or just springs for this cam?

Specs are 232/328 .595/.605 114+4 LSA

I'm planning on BTR .660s. I see a kit with springs, steel retainers, locks, seals, and then I see just the springs for 70 bucks less. Is all of that required or can I use the stock stuff?

Car will be driven semi-hard. Will see the track once (very rarely twice) a month about 8 months out of the year. Will see some street runs from time to time as well but not very often. Will be a cam only car with no other engine mods for the next couple years at which point the motor will be pulled for a complete build. Not sure if any of this has any effect on the retainers and what not but I figured it's worth mentioning these details before someone asks.

Im on a college student budget so I'm just curious how necessary these additional parts are. If I can save money without risking damage I'd definitely like to do that... Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Specs are 232/328 .595/.605 114+4 LSA

I'm planning on BTR .660s. I see a kit with springs, steel retainers, locks, seals, and then I see just the springs for 70 bucks less. Is all of that required or can I use the stock stuff?

Car will be driven semi-hard. Will see the track once (very rarely twice) a month about 8 months out of the year. Will see some street runs from time to time as well but not very often. Will be a cam only car with no other engine mods for the next couple years at which point the motor will be pulled for a complete build. Not sure if any of this has any effect on the retainers and what not but I figured it's worth mentioning these details before someone asks.

Im on a college student budget so I'm just curious how necessary these additional parts are. If I can save money without risking damage I'd definitely like to do that... Thanks.
You will definitely need the whole kit as the dual springs use a totally different retainer with 2 stepped ledges. New seals are also a great idea.
Don't forget a timing chain upgrade(Texas Speed sells the LS2 chain for $40)
and aftermarket .080" wall pushrods.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
You will definitely need the whole kit as the dual springs use a totally different retainer with 2 stepped ledges. New seals are also a great idea.
Don't forget a timing chain upgrade(Texas Speed sells the LS2 chain for $40)
and aftermarket .080" wall pushrods.
Chain and rods are already on the way just need springs and the gasket kit. Would PAC .625 beehive springs be adequate for this cam?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BTRs would be better, well worth the price (which is adequate for quality of this product)

Quick Reply: Do I need a spring kit or just springs for this cam?