LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   upgrade all at once? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1714410-upgrade-all-once.html)

fayettevillin 03-19-2014 05:45 PM

upgrade all at once?

ok im going to get a 228r cam but since hes going in there isn't it best to do ls7 lifters and trays crane gold rockers new harden pushrods behives etc.. my question is whats better 1.7 or 1.8 for the above?

Darkman 03-19-2014 05:52 PM

I would use 1.7's with that cam, but there are better choices in that cam category.

fayettevillin 03-19-2014 06:20 PM

I picked that because its been a proven performer for a daily driver that goes to the track maybe once a month im fine with a dd that runs 11.3 on a 100shot Im going to do it right so I don't have to go back in!

Darkman 03-19-2014 06:22 PM

You're right, it is a proven performer.

COSPEED2 03-19-2014 08:46 PM

Even though is does its job, there are better lobes out there still that are just as easy on the springs even right out of the comp book.
As far as rockers, just the reg trunion upgrade will get you mostly what you need.
We have LS7 lifters on sale right now for $99.95 shipped also.
If you want us to custom spec you a cam to get what you want, just let us know!

ez2cdave 03-20-2014 07:46 AM

Definitely use the 1.7 ratio . . . You might encounter piston to valve clearance problems with a 1.8 rocker.

COSPEED2 03-20-2014 02:33 PM

Dave, i would not say that.

fayettevillin 03-20-2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 18094483)
Even though is does its job, there are better lobes out there still that are just as easy on the springs even right out of the comp book.
As far as rockers, just the reg trunion upgrade will get you mostly what you need.

LOVELY im just wanting to drop 400RWHP/400TQ with my ls6 intake and 243 heads and not a donkey dick cam lmao really just want to have a low 11 car that's subtle

COSPEED2 03-20-2014 08:42 PM

Well that may be asking a bit from an LS1 bottom end. Unless you are using something bigger or better.
But if you want to give us more info we can get you something that will be worth your while.

03EBZ06 03-20-2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by fayettevillin (Post 18094074)
ok im going to get a 228r cam but since hes going in there isn't it best to do ls7 lifters and trays crane gold rockers new harden pushrods behives etc.. my question is whats better 1.7 or 1.8 for the above?

1. LS7 lifters = no; try Comp Cams OEM lifters; 1.7 ratio--lots of cams to select from, used and new. I have used them in 2 motors over 5 years with zero problems; just make sure you measure the PR right.

2. get 3/8 PR if they will fit or at least tapered. Trust me on this. VERY good investment, then check spring height and pressure if not known already

3. Behive=no; use 921 or 925s depend on install ht; maybe even a PAC RPM SERIES spring

Those are my preferences.

1bdbrd 03-20-2014 10:52 PM

Stay with stock rockers and just upgrade them with a trunnion kit.

03EBZ06 03-20-2014 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 18094483)

Um, just saw you recommended LS7 lifters. More power to you if they are working for you. Just noting to OP that I personally have had good luck w/CC OEMs.

COSPEED2 03-20-2014 11:12 PM

They work for thousands of people and thousands of stock engines. If he wants better lifters, he can sure have them.
I offered him direction on the parts he was looking for.
The Morel drop ins would be the better selection for the lifters and in case you didn't know they do make an 11/32 pr where you would normally have to cut some to use the 3/8 and they have to taper to a 5/16 ball anyway.
Are we going to offer the most expensive stuff every time and spend other peoples money? No. Would we prefer to see a better lifter in every engine, esp when used with higher pressure springs and a possible 6500+ operating range? Yes.
If he wants to keep it on a budget, we will work with whatever he wants to a degree.
And as far as trashing beehive springs, I would not be so hasty on that either.
The BT racing so far seems to be a better spring than the 925 for the price esp.

ez2cdave 03-20-2014 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 18095996)
Dave, i would not say that.

I said he MIGHT have a problem . . . Not that he WOULD have a problem.

He didn't give any details on the rest of he motor setup . . .

COSPEED2 03-20-2014 11:46 PM

Most of your lift is going to be achieved with the piston far enough down in the cyl to not worry about that. High duration is the issue or valve event timing. Then you can count lift into the equation, but even a 1.4 rocker would be an issue then.

And on a 228r cam, he wont have to worry about that even with a 1.8 rocker.

03EBZ06 03-21-2014 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 18097070)
They work for thousands of people and thousands of stock engines. If he wants better lifters, he can sure have them.
I offered him direction on the parts he was looking for.
The Morel drop ins would be the better selection for the lifters and in case you didn't know they do make an 11/32 pr where you would normally have to cut some to use the 3/8 and they have to taper to a 5/16 ball anyway.
Are we going to offer the most expensive stuff every time and spend other peoples money? No. Would we prefer to see a better lifter in every engine, esp when used with higher pressure springs and a possible 6500+ operating range? Yes.
If he wants to keep it on a budget, we will work with whatever he wants to a degree.
And as far as trashing beehive springs, I would not be so hasty on that either.
The BT racing so far seems to be a better spring than the 925 for the price esp.

Easy does it. I didn't see your original post and was only trying to respect the fact that you had supported the LS7 lifter. That is all!!!

See pic for the experience I had with 918s. BTW, do you know who makes the springs for BTR? You may be correct on a good deal there. Was only trying to have him look at other options.
http://home.comcast.net/~booth.p/918springs.jpg

I would prefer a tapered 3/8 over a 11/32 any day, but 11/32 is an improvement for sure. No argument there.

I know you are trying to offer good deals to people. As I said, wasn't trying to bash your recommendation. Please don't mine either, as I have reason, usually real time usage ones for suggestions.

Thanks.

COSPEED2 03-21-2014 12:10 AM

918s arent all beehives. We are well aware of the failures with them. If I were to recommend any beehive, it would be Manley and Pac, but I like the manley better.

And just because we sell parts doesnt mean we dont install, use, and race them either.

03EBZ06 03-21-2014 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 18097189)
918s arent all beehives. We are well aware of the failures with them. If I were to recommend any beehive, it would be Manley and Pac, but I like the manley better.

And just because we sell parts doesnt mean we dont install, use, and race them either.

Now the original poster is aware too. Note, his original post indicated behives.
Your rep for installing, using and racing was never doubted or brought up.
:cheers:

COSPEED2 03-21-2014 12:27 AM

The usual reason they throw the beehives on a build is A)cost and B) they are the first option for spring kits on tsp site with a cam kit, in which the have the 1518 as the spring to use.

fayettevillin 03-27-2014 03:44 PM

great info guys soo

cc oem lifters ,trunion upgrade, 3/8 pushrods, and 925 springs... what length push rods?