Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50psi cold idle, 8-10psi hot idle? What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50psi cold idle, 8-10psi hot idle? What gives?

So I got my car running after Doug Herbert Racing did the rebuild on my LS6. They did rods, pistons, bearings, cam bearings, and assembled the shortblock.

I installed a melling high volume oil pump and installed the pickup and pan all according to the instructions (I'm very **** about stuff when engine building).

When the oil is at 90F, I'm seeing a 50psi oil pressure on idle (750-800 rpm), verified with another gauge. It also increases with rpms as expected. When the oil gets to about 200F, the oil pressure drops to about 10psi at idle and only goes up to about 40psi through the rev range. So far it's not making any noises when it's idling with such little pressure, but I don't want to damage the motor. I'm pulling the motor this weekend, is there anything I should check for with those specific symptoms?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Does it need thicker oil due to looser clearances?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil pump relief valve/bypass hanging open? When the oil is cold/thicker it would not be as noticeable, but once hot and the oil is thinned, it shows up. Out of curiosity, what oil filter did you use? You may start there, cut it open and see if you have a lot of trash/metal in it. Then on to that oil pump, check/and or replace the spring and o-ring as well.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What does the build sheet show for brg clearances?
Are these pressures taken using a mechanical ga?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

I ring on pickup tube
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry meant to say o ring
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

YThats way too low, something is missing out of place or moved. Check oil gallery plug in the front and back and the cam bearings for walk.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-10-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I had a lifter fail on me and right when it started tapping really loud, I had the same symptoms as you. After getting everything together, I noticed the previous owner had pinched the pickup tube o-ring. Got it back together and when it's fully warmed up it never goes below 40 psi.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
oil pump relief valve/bypass hanging open? When the oil is cold/thicker it would not be as noticeable, but once hot and the oil is thinned, it shows up. Out of curiosity, what oil filter did you use? You may start there, cut it open and see if you have a lot of trash/metal in it. Then on to that oil pump, check/and or replace the spring and o-ring as well.
What's the easiest way to diagnose this? I really doubt melling would ship a pump with this problem, but I guess anything is possible. If I take the cap and spring out, will I see the piston wedged in there?

Pressures were taken with a new oil pressure sender (first thing I tried) and a PLX fluid pressure gauge. Both read the same thing, the PLX reads a couple pounds higher since it is plumbed in at the oil cooler bypass by the filter instead of at the top of the block.

I'm taking the trans out today for a rebuild and getting both ends of the motor opened up. I'll check the oil galleys, the pump, the o ring, and the pickup tube to pan clearance.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killernoodle
What's the easiest way to diagnose this? I really doubt melling would ship a pump with this problem, but I guess anything is possible. If I take the cap and spring out, will I see the piston wedged in there?

Pressures were taken with a new oil pressure sender (first thing I tried) and a PLX fluid pressure gauge. Both read the same thing, the PLX reads a couple pounds higher since it is plumbed in at the oil cooler bypass by the filter instead of at the top of the block.

I'm taking the trans out today for a rebuild and getting both ends of the motor opened up. I'll check the oil galleys, the pump, the o ring, and the pickup tube to pan clearance.
I used the same melling (10296) and had no issues, but I did take mine apart to clean/lube before installation, afterall...it is a mass produced part and I wanted to make sure there were no burrs/debris.

I still would check the oil filter first, start there before taking anything apart, cut it open and see whats in filter media. You may just try changing oil filter top off and see if problem persist.

if you decide to take the OP apart, here is a good thread..

Do not re-use the oil pump O-ring
Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I finally got around to taking the motor apart. So far I've taken off the pickup and the o ring seems to be in good shape. When I put the pickup on the pump with the o ring it makes a pop and when I take it off it makes a pop. The o ring is definitely snug and in place. I took apart the pump and the pressure relief valve slides in and out nicely. The barbell in the back was installed correctly and the o ring looks good. The galley plug on the front of the motor also looks good. There isn't any debris in the pickup screen, nothing interesting in the pan, and the motor looks sparkling clean inside.

I'm going to take the valve covers off next. Should there be anything I should check for in there? I'm pretty much out of ideas.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the cam bearings for walk clearance. Check the other bearings for clearance. Got to go through the wghole thing till you find something that makes sense.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Check the cam bearings for walk clearance. Check the other bearings for clearance. Got to go through the wghole thing till you find something that makes sense.
That's my fear.

After looking at the pump, the outlet on it had a tiny ridge on it. It was almost like someone stuck something in the outlet and pried it up slightly. I don't think it was the cause because the block had an indentation in the same spot. I'm thinking the imperfection in the iron pump housing probably made the indent when it was tightened down and it still sealed. I filed it down anyways.

I'm still going to pull the cam and look at everything else. It just sucks it wasn't something glaringly obvious!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cam bearings are all in place, and the oiling holes all line up. None of them were spun. The bearing surfaces looked good, as did the cam itself. So that leaves the main bearings to check, but honestly what are the odds that it's the main bearings and it hasn't blown up yet after a few hundred miles? It hasn't made any weird noises yet either.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

As stated before, what are your bearing clearances on the build spec sheet? What oil are you running? If clearances are looser, you will need a thicker oil.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
As stated before, what are your bearing clearances on the build spec sheet? What oil are you running? If clearances are looser, you will need a thicker oil.
When I took it to the machine shop, I gave them std size bearings. I don't think he did a line hone, and if he did, it was just a cleanup hone. The crank wasn't polished either IIRC.

I'm running 15w40 Rotella T. As stated before, the car makes great oil pressure cold, and it drops very rapidly when hot. 50psi @ 90F to 10psi @ 200F is a pretty big swing.

I guess I could take the main caps off and plastigauge them, but I somewhat doubt that's going to tell me anything worthwhile.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Why such a thick oil?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroboy408
Why such a thick oil?
Because of the low oil pressure, duh

It was the first thing I tried to fix the issue. Low hanging fruit.

Quick Reply: 50psi cold idle, 8-10psi hot idle? What gives?