Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Starts and then stalls...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Starts and then stalls...

Good Evening everyone

I am having some issues with my Goat. I just recently had my car street tuned for some upgrades that I did. The car ran great, we did about 6 or 7 WOT pulls and no issues what so ever. We got back to my tuners house and we noticed that there was a gas smell coming for the car. We discovered that the passenger side fuel rail had popped up due to the bracket bolt backing out. Tightened everything back down and she fired right up so I drove home. The next day I was going to make changes based on the street tune and I wanted to check my fuel system. I took the drive side and passenger side rails up, pulled the injectors, tightened the brackets, checked the o rings and put it all back together. I went to start the car up and she fired up, ran for about 5 seconds and then died. Started it again and the same thing. No engine codes, fuel pressure was at 60lbs. Turn the key on with no engine start to make sure the pump primed up and it did. I got out to make sure I wasn’t leaking fuel from an injector and everything was clear. Every time after that it would start and die like it wasn’t getting any fuel. Called it a night.
Next day I tried to start it up and I got a P0200 code **injector malfunction**. Did some research and I checked all my grounds, my O2 Sensors, check power to the harness with the key on from the battery it was 12v, the harness against itself was 6v. Did a node test on the harness and it lit up with every injector plug. Pulled the spark plugs and they checked out. Put a different set off coils and the problem still happened. Even pulled the spark plug end of the spark plug wire and popped a new spark plug in and checked to make sure they were sending a spark. Every coil lit up. Thought it might be a vacuum leak, nope all clear there. I even had my tuner come over with his laptop to log everything. He did say that bank 1 was running lean but we could not figure out why and it didn’t look like the car was getting fuel. He did make the car super rich and it ran better but still died. I looked at the harness for the injectors and the O2 Sensors and nothing looks burned or broken. I even opened up the blade on my Throttle body and the same thing. I have noticed that if you start it and it runs for those 5 or 6 seconds it will die immediately when you touch the gas. Also this P0200 code is intermittent I have cleared it once and it went away after about 4 or 5 starts ups it came back. I even tried to disconnect the battery and reset the fuel trims. I checked the key fob and even used a different key I check the ring and both keys are making contact. I have tried everything I do not know what this issue is. One of my buddies said it might be a bad ECM but I am not sure. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the P0200...do you still have this?
If so, you might start here...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0200

...especially the part about 1 injector, short to battery affecting the entire injector operation.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

If the P0200 is still happening, then you might have a short. With the fuel rail coming off, I'd be willing to bet maybe something in the wiring harness has been affected or a ground is no longer making good contact on that side to the head (the LS1 has grounds for the wiring harness - one passenger and two driver, backside of the head).
Old 02-07-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

More info: 2004 GTO P0200
Old 02-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Have you checked the injector fuse?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
If the P0200 is still happening, then you might have a short. With the fuel rail coming off, I'd be willing to bet maybe something in the wiring harness has been affected or a ground is no longer making good contact on that side to the head (the LS1 has grounds for the wiring harness - one passenger and two driver, backside of the head).
I check the grounds both are good I inspected the harness and no signs of burns or breakage.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dcollins3208
Have you checked the injector fuse?
Yes I have and the funny thing about that is neither one was blown
Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
More info: 2004 GTO P0200
Thanks I'll check this out
Old 02-08-2015, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Maybe..

try the diagnostic forum??
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Just an update. Since I have posted this I have replaced the main harness with another one and still the problem exists. I have checked the injectors they are all reading 12.5 to 12.9 ohms. I have swapped out coils from another ls motor. I have replaced the plugs and I have tested the plug wires. I have done a continuity check on the injector adapters and did a resistance test, all clear. I am seriously out of options. I do not know what is causing this.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Still getting the code?

Try unplugging the maf and see what it does.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by n20transam
Still getting the code?

Try unplugging the maf and see what it does.
It's speed density tuned no MAF.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Sound like one of your injectors isn't firing. Maybe one of your injectors went bad. I would check the one you messed with. You could send them out to have them cleaned and checked.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Sound like one of your injectors isn't firing. Maybe one of your injectors went bad. I would check the one you messed with. You could send them out to have them cleaned and checked.
I did an ohm test on the injectors and they are all within specs. we also pulled the rails and put small bottles under the injectors to see if they spit fuel and it did. Not sure why it would spit fuel to start and then not while it was running. I wish I had another set of injectors to put in to see if that would help.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Just an update. I noticed during my last noid light test that the light wasn't flashing consistently wheni moved the harness around with the adapters that I bought connected. I removed the adapters and wired in some different connectors and the P0200 code went away. The car still wasn't running right. Going to sway out plugs and o2 sensors to be on the safe side and continue to trouble shoot. thanks for all the help.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 AM
Teching In

*****UPDATE*****

I have isolated my not running issue to a fuel related problem. I took the intake pipe off and sprayed the inside with starter fluid, the car fired right up with no issues. But as soon as the fluid was gone the car died again. I started from the fuel tank and worked my way to the fuel rails.
1. Car has fuel
2. Pumps Prime up
3. No leaking fuel lines.
4. Gauge reads 60lbs at the rails. (never dropped even when it was started then stalled)
5. Swapped the Replay
6. Checked the fuse.
7. Pulled the injectors and manually tested them with 12v they all fire.

But even after that the car isn't getting any fuel. The only think that I have found that is out of the ordinary is that the harness at the pins is only reading 6v with key on engine off. Which isn't enough to power the injectors. My buddy pulled his plug and checked his voltage and he had 12v between both pins. I have already replaced the harness and the PCM. I have no check engine lights now. I checked the resistance on both grounds on the head and they are both less than 1 ohm and they have continuity to the main ground cable. I am seriously out of ideas on what this could be. I have racked my brain as well as everyone I know. One buddy suggested testing my coils saying that is what powers the injectors but I did a full coil swap from my G8 coils and harness and the same problem happened. Not sure it matters or not but I have the Nasty Valve covers and coil bracket. I know they coils are grounded from the brackets. I have check to make sure they are all tight.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a cut/loose wire or sloppy pin connection if you only have 6v. Get a diagram, find out where the wire(s) go, check backwards until you find the problem?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Just an update. I have traced the power draw to the BCM fuse slot in the fuse box under the hood. I took all of the fuses out and check to make sure that each slot that was so post to have 12v with the key on did. After I verified that they had 12v I placed the one of the inj fuses back in and checked the harness, 11v. So I took that one out and did the same with the other side, 11v at the harness. Placed them both back in and checked both sides, 11v. After that I put all the fuses back in one by one and checked the voltage at the harness after each one I had 11v up until I went to plug in the BCM fuse. It dropped down to 6v.

I checked the continuity to the wire going from the fuse box to the BCM and it had .7 ohms and a good connection. I unplugged the BCM completely and checked the harness again, it was still 6v. So I am thinking that its a shorted wire. Not really sure where or how the BCM affects the harness and why it is specifically the injector harness but I am still researching. I did discover that the viper alarm system that was installed was does poorly. It has been disconnected for some time and I am not sure how much a role it could be playing in the issue.

Quick Reply: Engine Starts and then stalls...