Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should there have been any drag when I removed my arp crank bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should there have been any drag when I removed my arp crank bolt?

Previous owner modded the motor and installed the arp crank bolt. I'm opening up the motor to freshen up the seals. When I removed arp crank bolt there was a lot of drag the whole way out of the hole, as in I had to use enough force on my ratchet post breaking the bolt loose to wear me out by the time the bolt came completely out of the hole. When I got the arp bolt out I looked at it and the first three threads on it are jacked and have material impacted between them from the crank. I know this hurt the threads in the crank, I'm just trying to gauge how badly based on how much force I used turning it out. I can't see far enough into the crank hole to get a visual on them. Would it be worth using a chaser on the threads on this crank and getting a new bolt or is the crank likely trashed?

Anyone want to guess how the arp bolt got chipped like that? My thought is that the previous owner used the arp bolt to pull the pulley on but I would have figured that would have damaged the crank threads before the hardened bolt threads.
Attached Thumbnails Should there have been any drag when I removed my arp crank bolt?-20150617_234559.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks trashed, you try chasing the threads in the crank to see if they are damaged?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't gotten that far yet. I just pulled that bolt out about an hour ago. I know they are damaged to some degree because of the material transfer on the bolt. I was hoping to get some input on whether or not anyone would try to chase the threads in a crank if they pulled that bolt through it. I don't know how much pressure is on the threads once everything is installed so I didn't know if it was worth it to try and chase the threads or if things like this usually mean the crank is junked. The arp bolt is going to be tossed for sure. Even if I fixed the threads on it I don't trust it any more.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Bolt was too long...............typical ARP bs. Good luck
Old 06-18-2015, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Its not typical bs...arp makes 2 different length bolts.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You assessment would be my first thought as well. Do you have a stock bolt you can run up the threads to see if it goes in OK? I would be concerned with running a tap at this point until you figure out the situation.

At least you have the bolt out so some type of repair can be done if necessary. Too many guys bugger it up then break to bolt on top of it all.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Your assessment would be my first thought as well. Do you have a stock bolt you can run up the threads to see if it goes in OK? I would be concerned with running a tap at this point until you figure out the situation.

At least you have the bolt out so some type of repair can be done if necessary. Too many guys bugger it up then break to bolt on top of it all.
I'm going to purchase a stock bolt at the dealer to check with and then notch it with a dremel to chase the threads down. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, I measured the ARP bolt I removed and it came out to a hair over 4-5/16" which puts it in spec with ARP's listed 4.325" length for the Chevrolet Gen III/LS Series small block bolt.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

I'd get the proper tap and do it.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Don't use a tap. A tap is meant to cut threads and can weaken the existing threads. Using a chase is a much better idea. Cut the notches in a stock bolt like you said and deburr it with a wire wheel; that will work great.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

I disagree strongly, those threads are damaged they need to be recut properly. Chasing it with a bolt is not going to cut the damage away.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I disagree strongly, those threads are damaged they need to be recut properly. Chasing it with a bolt is not going to cut the damage away.
It depends on the damage. If the damage is such that a thread chase won't work, I prefer to drill it out and use a tap to cut new threads. That's what a tap is meant for and how threads are properly recut.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

KCS knows his stuff I would listen to his advice.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Oddly enough I was just doing this yesterday.i had to change my crank pulley to an asp unit. Ive had my stock pulley on/off multiple times the past few weeks and used the original bolt to pull the pulley on then remove it and use the arp to finish torque it down.

Ive made the mistake of reusuing the original bolt which at the time didnt know it was tty bolt and when removing it I had a damaged bolt thread and some particles of the red locktite I used.I went to thread my new arp bolt in and had resistence within 3 turns by hand.Uh oh! So i did exactly what KCS suggested.Bought another stock bolt..its cheap.My original bolt i cut and made a chaser with it.Threaded it in/out a few times and all went well.I then blew out the bolt hole with air.I was then able to thread the arp bolt completely by hand with ease and no sign of damaged crank threads.I then proceeded with the arp suggested install guide with their assembly lube and torqued it down.

I doubt the crank itself has any damage..more like the bolt itself leaving metal particles you need to clean out thoroughly.Btw my arp bolt had a washer and depending on which length stock bolt came out you would need it or not.I needed the washer on my application seeing as I have an lq4 bolt your supposed to use their assembly lube on the entire bolt and the mating surface of the bolt head as per instructions.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Should there have been any drag when I removed my arp crank bolt?