Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo Motorsports MMS220 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mamo Motorsports MMS220 Build Thread

After months of research, I have finally started ordering parts for my heads / cam / intake build! I have spoken with many vendors, and it’s a shame I couldn’t have used a few of them, but in the end I chose to go with Tony Mamo / Mamo Motorsports.

I decided to do a build thread because I really appreciate the other build threads on here. I have learned a ton from reading JakeFusion and Darth V8r’s threads, and in the end they gave me the boost I needed to start my build.

It should be an interesting process, since I have never done anything like this before. I have done heads / cam my old 4.6L mustang, but those are completely different animals – They don’t even have pushrods!

My goal is simply to have a bad *** street car.
Here is my part list:

MMS220 Heads Milled to 60.5cc (11.45cr w/ .040 gasket) Hollow intake valves and spring upgrade
227/231 114+2 Comp Cam (spec’d by Tony)
Pro 10mm Yella Terra Rockers
Johnson 2126 lifters
Ported FAST 102 w/ NW 102 TB
FAST 36lb injectors
Cometic .040 head gaskets
Yank SS3600 Converter

Mods already done to the car:
QTP Long tubes
DR Gas X-Pipe w/ flo-pro twisters
SLP Lid
Suspension/brakes

While it’s all apart, I’m also going to replace the motor mounts, all belts and hoses, and add a trans cooler. I started tearing it apart Saturday, and made decent progress --

Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

AAAWWWWW ****!!!!

If you run into any issues along the way, give me a shout. Call Tony at 2am at least once. He's usually tinkering away in the Bat Cave at those hours anyway.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see you say ported FAST 102/102; will it be ported by Tony, are has it already been ported by someone else? Also, what size are your current headers? If they are 1 3/4", I'd strongly suggest taking them off and putting on some Speed Engineering 1 7/8" headers. That combo is going to need to breath, and 1 3/4" headers are going to be restrictive.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will say, I have been loosely following LS1howto.com's instructions. Two things I wish I would have done differently.

1) I really wish I would have evacuated the A/C system. Disconnecting the hoses would have made my life easier, and the cost would have been worth it.

2) Rent a pulley puller for the Power Steering pump! I messed with that thing for 15 minutes before I decided to rent a puller and do it right. I have no idea why he recommends you NOT take the pulley off. That's crazy; Rent a puller, it will be WAY quicker.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I see you say ported FAST 102/102; will it be ported by Tony, are has it already been ported by someone else? Also, what size are your current headers? If they are 1 3/4", I'd strongly suggest taking them off and putting on some Speed Engineering 1 7/8" headers. That combo is going to need to breath, and 1 3/4" headers are going to be restrictive.
The FAST 102 will be ported by Tony.

And I know, I know, they are 1 3/4" headers. New ones aren't in the budget.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Lots of smart stuff going on in here.

The gains from stepping up to 1-7/8" headers are undeniable, but you do still have full length headers and true dual exhaust. So I don't think larger headers needs to be a major priority unless the ones you have now prove to be a problem.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

I'm watching.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This build is on stock cubes 5.7? Be careful before pulling the trigger on any particular primary size header. What you have MAY actually be best for the build (stock cubes). The exhaust port air speed varies between different head designs. You have the advantage of buying directly from the heads' designer. So, go w/ his header recommendation.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
The FAST 102 will be ported by Tony.

And I know, I know, they are 1 3/4" headers. New ones aren't in the budget.
I understand a budget and all, but you're dropping God knows how much on those heads and the Mamo ported FAST, yet you can't afford headers that are less than $300?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1-450
This build is on stock cubes 5.7? Be careful before pulling the trigger on any particular primary size header. What you have MAY actually be best for the build (stock cubes). The exhaust port air speed varies between different head designs. You have the advantage of buying directly from the heads' designer. So, go w/ his header recommendation.
I highly doubt Tony would recommend the 1 3/4 headers over 1 7/8" headers.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

I'm sure Tony is more than capable of speaking on his own behalf. I am also sure that Tony took into consideration the OP's 1.75" headers and true dual exhaust when he (Tony) spec'ed the cam. And on a stock displacement ls1, I would gladly take the smaller primary headers and a cam specifically designed to use them, over larger headers just because everyone else says to. If the man who is designing the entire top end package for the OP didn't tell him specifically to upgrade to larger headers, then I will bet that it's not too big of a priority.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
I'm sure Tony is more than capable of speaking on his own behalf. I am also sure that Tony took into consideration the OP's 1.75" headers and true dual exhaust when he (Tony) spec'ed the cam. And on a stock displacement ls1, I would gladly take the smaller primary headers and a cam specifically designed to use them, over larger headers just because everyone else says to. If the man who is designing the entire top end package for the OP didn't tell him specifically to upgrade to larger headers, then I will bet that it's not too big of a priority.
You or no one else will ever convince me that on the same setup, same dyno, the 1 7/8" headers won't pick up power and torque over the 1 3/4" headers. It's been proven time and time again, even on bolt-on only cars. I don't want to distract from the OP's thread, so that's all I've got to say. OP, the build looks great and I'm sure you're going to be extremely happy with how it turns out. Tony is a God amongst men when it comes to the LSx game, so you're in great hands.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Phoenix, I am well aware of the fact that all the evidence suggests that going from 1-3/4" primary headers to 1-7/8" headers will be measurably beneficial.

However, Tony spec'ed the cam knowing what exhaust his heads and intake were exhaling through. The mms heads usually have almost abnormally high exhaust flow ratios, and apparently there's such a thing as "over-scavenging". So, I would imagine that Tony gave that cam enough exhaust bias for those heads and that particular exhaust system. Maybe 1.875" headers are too much, and over-scavenging starts to occur without a new cam with less exhaust bias. Who knows?

Tony knows. And unless he (Tony) told the OP to use different headers, then the OP is probably not leaving much, if anything, on the table using what he (Tony) recommended to use with the Tony mamo heads with the Tony mamo intake.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it's a stock bottom end 5.7.

I can understand the header debate, but I'm just going to stick with what I have. I'm not looking for an all out build. I also still have the stock 75-78mm MAF sensor. So if you want to debate something, what's the best MAF to go with? My tuner recommended the GM 85mm, or going speed density.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who will you have tune the car? I see you're in Kansas. How close are you to LSXkilr Custom Calibrations? I would talk to whoever is going to be tuning the car regarding the MAF or the option of going SD.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
AAAWWWWW ****!!!!

If you run into any issues along the way, give me a shout. Call Tony at 2am at least once. He's usually tinkering away in the Bat Cave at those hours anyway.
Thanks! I definitely will!

Cleaning the block surface and measuring for pushrods are the only things that scare me right now.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Who will you have tune the car? I see you're in Kansas. How close are you to LSXkilr Custom Calibrations? I would talk to whoever is going to be tuning the car regarding the MAF or the option of going SD.
It looks like they are in Lawrence, KS, which is about two hours from me. I was going to get it tuned at Wichita Dyno here in Wichita. They have tuned a lot of LSx cars, and seem pretty confident about them. He mentioned they use EFI Live to tune with, I believe.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good deal. I wasn't sure how close they were to Wichita.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

I would let your tuner make that call, as well. If you do stay with a maf tune, you can use a slot/card style maf sensor.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Yes, it's a stock bottom end 5.7. I can understand the header debate, but I'm just going to stick with what I have. I'm not looking for an all out build. I also still have the stock 75-78mm MAF sensor. So if you want to debate something, what's the best MAF to go with? My tuner recommended the GM 85mm, or going speed density.
To be honest, I would go SD with a custom operating system. I'm doing this on my truck, and the HP Tuners custom OS adds a multiplier table to the VE table that allows for some good fine-tuning of the AFR under a wide range of conditions. I don't want to blow my car's engine screwing with it to learn, but on the truck it's done quite well.

If you go MAF, go 100mm like the TSP or lingenfelter. Make sure you put the screen in. F body intakes don't get good laminar flow, so partial throttle will be tough to tune otherwise.

Quick Reply: Mamo Motorsports MMS220 Build Thread