Sponsored by:

Budget build LOL heavy Mamo content inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
Mine is the 24x
Nice... I much rather do that than use one of those converter boxes.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the build! Really sick motor! Going to be a lot of fun on the street.

Tony is just shipping my 220s today for my 383 procharged build. I can't wait to see how it transforms. I redid the entire car inside and out. I'm just running stock heads now that I modified the best I could. These should really help the engine out. It all started when I contacted Yella Terra to find out if I really needed rocker arms. Next thing I knew I Was talking to Tony on the phone ordering his cnc+ 220s, Johnson self oiling lifters, rocker arms with upgraded studs, ported oil pump, new cam, Nick Williams 102 tb and shipped my fast 102 to him for porting lol. So much for budgets! He's great. He answered so many questions I had in one shot with actual answers I just started buying lol. This is my first build in awhile and it's a lot of fun. Just wasn't fast enough lol

As for all the haters. I just don't tell people what I spend. I tell them I got it for nothing, "really good deal". I saved the engine builders life so he owed me one lol. People know I'm not telling the truth but it's none of their business. I do it because I enjoy it. Then when I see them on the street I just have to make sure I spent enough time and money to win
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wasn't too hard to coerce me into spending some money lol. Unlike you, I was starting with a new foundation, as I didn't want to heavily modify my high mileage short block. So of course I jumped at the chance at bigger cubes for a small bump in $. And here I am now, with way more motor than I dreamed I'd be sticking in this car!

As for the local folks, I really don't like to talk about the money side. I don't want to come across as cocky or like I'm bragging. I'm not like that. But that's how people automatically take it, no matter how humble I try to be. It's none of their business, aside from the few close friends that I do talk finances with. But it can only be asked so many times before I just answer the question and move along. Do I wish I could have this for less money? Absolutely! But something of this caliber costs a lot and that's just the way it is. Period. I saved money for five years to do this and it's been very rewarding to see it all turn out exactly as I had hoped.

Back on topic though, I've still got a few items to buy. Bigger lid/maf, trans cooler, fuel pump, better shocks, and a wheel/tire setup. After that I'll be hunting for a place to toss it in and tune it. I'm really hoping to have it on the road by March, and plan to use this thread to document install pics and chassis dyno figures when the time comes. As well as how it will undoubtedly scare the crap out of me the first time I flog it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It wasn't too hard to coerce me into spending some money lol. Unlike you, I was starting with a new foundation, as I didn't want to heavily modify my high mileage short block. So of course I jumped at the chance at bigger cubes for a small bump in $. And here I am now, with way more motor than I dreamed I'd be sticking in this car!

As for the local folks, I really don't like to talk about the money side. I don't want to come across as cocky or like I'm bragging. I'm not like that. But that's how people automatically take it, no matter how humble I try to be. It's none of their business, aside from the few close friends that I do talk finances with. But it can only be asked so many times before I just answer the question and move along. Do I wish I could have this for less money? Absolutely! But something of this caliber costs a lot and that's just the way it is. Period. I saved money for five years to do this and it's been very rewarding to see it all turn out exactly as I had hoped.

Back on topic though, I've still got a few items to buy. Bigger lid/maf, trans cooler, fuel pump, better shocks, and a wheel/tire setup. After that I'll be hunting for a place to toss it in and tune it. I'm really hoping to have it on the road by March, and plan to use this thread to document install pics and chassis dyno figures when the time comes. As well as how it will undoubtedly scare the crap out of me the first time I flog it.
Nice build! Chassis dyno? I just built a 416 also, stock square port top end though. A lil less $$ into mine but same exact pistons. Its a lot of fun roasting guys that have power adders with all motor! See how they like it when I start spraying it lol! I don't tell everyone what I got. Its a lot more interesting when guys wanna race & they have no idea! Some of my friends know whats done. Everyone else thinks I just got a 5.7 & when they ask "that got the LS1?" I say "yea" lol! Had to get some 28 inch slicks just to put the power down. Blows the street tires off in 1st & 2nd! Ridiculous but fun!

Its better to spend a lil more & have it done right than letting some hack shop do it & having a nightmare! I know a few guys right now experiencing this! My buddy had to sell his 505 BBC chevelle cuz he had some hacks build him a motor & it never ran right! Procomp heads, distributor. Found out the cylinders were oval shaped from whoever bored it. He lost at least $20,000 in engine work he paid for! Not even 500 miles on it!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Its better to spend a lil more & have it done right than letting some hack shop do it & having a nightmare! I know a few guys right now experiencing this! My buddy had to sell his 505 BBC chevelle cuz he had some hacks build him a motor & it never ran right! Procomp heads, distributor. Found out the cylinders were oval shaped from whoever bored it. He lost at least $20,000 in engine work he paid for! Not even 500 miles on it!
Stories like that are why I'm relieved I had the assembly and dyno done by reputable folks before having it shipped back. I'd rather pay for the comfort of knowing it's done perfectly and is in good health. The main shop around my area doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to their machine work or owning up to their screw ups. They blame it on the parts or the customer and refuse to make it right. Aside from not wanting to give my money to someone like that, I also can't afford to do this deal twice! Every extra precaution taken is cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Stories like that are why I'm relieved I had the assembly and dyno done by reputable folks before having it shipped back. I'd rather pay for the comfort of knowing it's done perfectly and is in good health. The main shop around my area doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to their machine work or owning up to their screw ups. They blame it on the parts or the customer and refuse to make it right. Aside from not wanting to give my money to someone like that, I also can't afford to do this deal twice! Every extra precaution taken is cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things.
I feel ya. I've done other builds in the past. However, Tony's urge for the best and often times very adjustable parts has me buying tools I've never needed before. Dot to dot cam installs wont fly here. Had to get checker springs and pushrod length checker. Cam degree kit is on the way in the mail. Still need to figure out which spring removal tool I should get. Haha, I have a feeling I'll be calling him more and more as assembly progresses. I'm a pretty patient guy and I don't mind triple checking things either.

Glad to see one of these running with the most recent combo. You've got be excited, man. I'll be throwing mine on a chassis dyno with a t56 and 10 bolt around the first of the year. Tax time it'll be a tr6060 and s60 for the car.

Last edited by Gluemaker; 10-24-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Glad to see one of these running with the most recent combo. You've got be excited, man. I'll be throwing mine on a chassis dyno with a t56 and 10 bolt around the first of the year. Tax time it'll be a tr6060 and s60 for the car.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations on the numbers and the build! To say I am very glad to see numbers like these on this build are an understatement!! This is my exact set up with the difference of a little bit more cam and compression.
I also opted to have a reputable shop build mine, and with a warranty, rather than do it myself. Lack of hands on experience, and the necessary tools etc, made the decision that much easier. In the next couple days and I look forward to have some numbers of my own. Are you guys running SD on yours?
Old 10-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks! I'll be going with a 100 mm MAF setup myself.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a tsp 100mm maf as well.

Last edited by Gluemaker; 10-25-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gluemaker
I've got a tsp 100mm mag as well.
Do you like it? That's the one I planned to buy. Seems to be the only option other than the Lingenfelter one.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

They're better now that they have a honeycomb. No more turbulence issues when tuning.

Jason.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't ran it as of yet. It's just in my giant pile of parts. It does seem to be a quality piece. I did like most people and read all of the reviews and complaints about it. Talked to a few tuners and they all seem to agree that getting the new version with the screen is a huge improvement.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gluemaker
I haven't ran it as of yet. It's just in my giant pile of parts. It does seem to be a quality piece. I did like most people and read all of the reviews and complaints about it. Talked to a few tuners and they all seem to agree that getting the new version with the screen is a huge improvement.
Cool. I've researched it a bit, but like to hear more current reviews.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an in-tank fuel pump, trans cooler, and aftermarket flex plate?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deatsch Works makes good pumps in higher than OEM flow and one even higher than that.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the racetronix pump and am doing the B&M 70274 trans cooler with braided line and AN fittings.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
I would have thought the torque numbers would have been higher. Maybe toward 600.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

I also have a racetronix pump. The dual in tank 670Lph pump. It's a nice setup if you just want to modify your stock tank and then I did 10an feed and return lines with an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. I'm making 560rwhp and haven't had any issue at all.

I also have the TCI flexplate. Expensive but a nice piece.

And I have the B&M Trans cooler with the fan so I could mount it in the back. I have an intercooler in front so I have absolutely zero room.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I had the B&M 70274, as well. Quality piece. The 1/2" inlet/outlet are nice. I originally bought a Hayden unit, but the Cadillac dealership wouldn't install it because the cts transmission uses 1/2" lines. The B&M is a superior piece.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I would have thought the torque numbers would have been higher. Maybe toward 600.
Not on this dyno....not on any dyno that's reasonably accurate IMO (600 would be approaching 1.5 TQ per cube....in a pump gas HR engine.....not a chance).

I have dyno'ed close to a dozen LS engines at Westech (Personal engines....many more when I include my tenure with AFR)....most of them on the same engine dyno (an SF 902)....they have two engine dyno cells btw and two engine dyno's....90% of my testing is on the same one.

Regardless of displacement most of the engines I have built and tested there made approx 1.37 ft/lbs per cube (+/- a couple of hundredths).....honestly a very respectable number for a pump gas street engine.

More importantly, two of them off that dyno ended up in my Vette.....a 346 that made 478 ft/lbs (1.38) and a 383 that made 523 ft/lbs (1.365). On about a half dozen different chassis dyno's that 346 in my C5 Corvette laid down 435 - 440 RWTQ.....this was back in 2004 with AFR 205's out of the box....a TQ figure still respectable a decade later and what would be considered very stout from a 346. My 383 made 480-485 RWTQ depending on which dyno I rolled it on and that engine pushed my C5 to 130 traps in crappy so Cal air (no such thing as negative D/A here).

That all said its easy to extrapolate (with all three engines off the same engine dyno), that this 416 in my efficient C5 driveline would likely generate about 50 more ft/lbs of torque than my 383 (523 flywheel vs 570) and land it somewhere around 525-530 RWTQ (if it were installed in my C5). There aren't too many 416's making that type of torque at the tire....in fact getting into the elusive 500 club (in torque output) puts you in very limited company even factoring in larger displacement builds.

The engine did exactly what I was hoping it would.....in fact I called the HP and TQ to the number (nailed both) the evening before the dyno over a couple of margarita's and some tasty Mexican food that Sawyer, "Stan", and myself were enjoying....we were just shooting the breeze and discussing what the next day might have in store for us and Sawyer asked me what I thought it would make. True story....LOL....Sawyer can vouch but I admit it was a lucky calculated guess!

Bottom line....we all know every dyno and every flowbench can read differently....I have been testing on Westech's for approaching two decades now and I know what to expect there. The engines I'm familiar with usually run the number at the track that the #'s gotten from that dyno would dictate possible and that's pretty much all you can ask.....at the end of the day they are just tuning tools but just like I know on my flowbench when I see a good head, I know when I see good results on a known dyno as well (the day before a 383 Mopar with a street solid roller and ported heads struggled to make 520 HP)....this dyno doesn't give you the number unless you earn it!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
The engine did exactly what I was hoping it would.....in fact I called the HP and TQ to the number (nailed both) the evening before the dyno over a couple of margarita's and some tasty Mexican food that Sawyer, "Stan", and myself were enjoying....we were just shooting the breeze and discussing what the next day might have in store for us and Sawyer asked me what I thought it would make. True story....LOL....Sawyer can vouch but I admit it was a lucky calculated guess!
True story. From the beginning of our discussion back in March (when I first asked for a rough power estimate) until now, we had changed quite a few things about the build. So naturally I was curious where he thought it would land now, factoring in said changes. And he said 650/570. If I didn't know better, I'd think they dynoed it by moonlight the night before! Lol.

Quick Reply: Budget build LOL heavy Mamo content inside