Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget build LOL heavy Mamo content inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Budget build LOL heavy Mamo content inside

A few of you guys have been in touch with me this past year about the plans I have for my Z28. It was originally a low dollar build with no direction other than to be a fun street car. Well, being as **** as I am about not spending money twice, this was bound to head in a far more expensive and even more fun direction!

The car is a 99 Z28 auto with a lid and muffler. I added a well optioned MWC 9" w/ 4.10s. I then found a Performabuilt Lvl 2 4L60E with a Yank converter for a great price so I picked it up for the upcoming build. The original plan was to drop a new LQ9 into it, cam that, and then leave it alone. It would have been a sweet little street car. But I questioned myself on whether that would be enough for me long term.

Enter Mamo Motorsports. I contacted Tony to buy a set of his MMS 220 heads and the more we talked, the more I was drawn to a big cube build. As the wheels turned in my head and the budget snowballed off the cliff into oblivion, we finally settled on one.

Here's the rundown:
416 LS3 short block
Callies crank and rods
Wiseco pistons
245/248 114+2 cam
MMS 235 hand finished heads w/ NFI option and PAC hardware
Ported Fast 102
NW 102 TB
Yella Terra 1.8 rockers
Manton pushrods
Johnson short travel lifters
Melling high volume pump

In addition to what I have previously mentioned, I also have ceramic coated Kooks 1 7/8 headers and Kooks TDs to compliment everything else.

I am actually in California as I type this. Not 30 minutes ago, I was shaking Tony's hand after an exciting day at the dyno seeing what this investment of mine could do. And I gotta say... I questioned myself going this far over budget on a motor. After watching the thing in action though? I'm absolutely thrilled I did it. Not only did the numbers impress me, but the power curves look like art work. Talk about beautiful! Tony went above and beyond to get this deal done in time for me to be here to witness it and did nothing short of rolling out the red carpet once I got here. Top notch service from a top notch dude.

I'll upload a few pictures and a video of it singing momentarily!
The following users liked this post:
bigbomber5 (08-18-2020)
Old 10-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Launching!

A special thanks to the guys at Westech for handling the dyno!

Old 10-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Launching!

It made 650 hp and 570 ft/lbs When they send Tony or I the dyno sheet, that will be uploaded also.
The following users liked this post:
bigbomber5 (08-18-2020)
Old 10-16-2015, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow oh wow. Beautiful torque number. With a line lock you'd be able to sit still and ribbon up asphalt in back of you. My mind races when I read this and then remember I'll have more than enough for my car. It's a total addiction though and I know the path. I started thinking maybe $3 grand on the latest upgrade and I'm up creeping up on $6 grand now. Really like how smoothly you spooled up to 6,800 rpm.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice numbers. I have had a couple of motors and a car dyno'd there myself.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Holy wonderfulness! This is nothing short of absolutely fantastic. Great job to everyone involved in the creation of this monster. It's beautiful.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

PS. I think you might need a new transmission.

Nevermind. Performabuilt is no joke. Carry on.

Last edited by DavidBoren; 10-16-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

All the above
Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Congratulations!!!
Well Done to all Involved.
Hope you purchased/are purchasing your favorite tires stock LOL!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome build. What compression are you running?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It's been a blast to come out and see something of this caliber, knowing that I get to take it home with me when we are done lol

Compression is 11.55:1, IIRC.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build! My Mamo build snowballed, too, but not this bad. I was kicking around the idea of doing a 416 but my girlfriend said no way. Oh well, at least I got the heads approved.

Can't wait to see more results!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Awesome build! My Mamo build snowballed, too, but not this bad. I was kicking around the idea of doing a 416 but my girlfriend said no way. Oh well, at least I got the heads approved.

Can't wait to see more results!
Girlfriend? Not even Fiancé ? JK LOL!
I just tell my wife I need one Vice, and at least I'm not blowing it
In Bars, Gambling on Sports or whatever. LOL!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

I told my wife once I needed a cam and she said OK. When I installed it I took the stock one into the house to show her what a cam looked like. She said "that's the new cam?" and I told her no that was the old one. She looked at me and said "You mean it already had one!?"
Old 10-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by svede1212
I told my wife once I needed a cam and she said OK. When I installed it I took the stock one into the house to show her what a cam looked like. She said "that's the new cam?" and I told her no that was the old one. She looked at me and said "You mean it already had one!?"
That is funny!!!! I almost spit my drink out. I mean I can just see her standing there thinking you tricked her and see the whole argument play out
Old 10-17-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

That's gonna be a fun street car lol, nice numbers.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Guys,

Been playing catch up after the mad thrash to get Sawyer's motor finished in time for the original slated dyno date and not mess up all the previously arranged plans.

From stupid stuff like a cam that didn't fit (it was about a thou and a half too large) to other impossible to see coming delays it was alot of red label expense and late (early morning) evenings.....just the way I like it.....LOL (with the exception of the stress and red label costs!). I had to have back up plans for my back up plans to make it but we pulled it off.

I will post some pics of the build soon....I took alot of photos with my phone and need to get them uploaded on photobucket etc. Happy with the results.....the motor was extremely smooth, had perfect oil pressure.....the break in oil and filter we cut open looked immaculate.....it was a perfect "birth" of what looks to be an awesome power plant.

500 ft/lbs of torque used to be what made a decent BBC look great on paper and it was more a discussion of peak numbers.....this
"little" 416 makes 500+ from 3500 to 6800 and peaked at 570

Unfortunately I'm having problems with the SuperFlow Wyn-Dyn viewer right now.....its not plotting the graph for me which is frustrating, cause visually you really get a feel of the shape and awesomeness of the curve (very flat torque curve). Best I can do now is share the actual data of one of the runs we made before the best run (which was 650/570). I selected this one cause we pulled it down lower and I wanted to show you guys how much grunt it had at the lower RPM's. We started the pull of the best run higher so the sweep wasn't as long but I like pulling them low to see what they have well below peak torque as well. This was one of those runs

Name:  Thompson%20416%20data%203500-6800.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  273.3 KB

As soon as I get the graph function worked out I will post that in the thread along with some of the pics of the assembly process at my new shop. FWIW this was the first engine assembled there which is kind of cool....another situation that added a little to the frustration having to make some extra trips to get parts and tools I needed from the shop at my house. I guessed I would make a dozen unplanned trips after gathering all the tools and supplies I thought I would need but managed to only make about half that....LOL The good news is I have four more engines to build in the next couple of months and Im all geared up at this point.....should make things go alot smoother

It was a pleasure meeting Sawyer and his girlfriend "Stan" (long not funny story per his girlfriend....LOL). She was awesome putting up with all the discussions of horsepower and torque and all the other guy/car/engine related conversations that naturally took precedence on this trip (there was this short Justin Beiber conversation....LOL). Anyway, Sawyer should post one of the pics I grabbed of them at the dyno

That's about it....playing catch up on some emails and PM's so if you had reached out to me the last couple of days expect to hear back from me soon

Looking forward to the performance/chassis numbers in the car but its auto with a converter and a FAB 9 rear so it wont look like a hero in that venue but Im sure but it should run like a scalded dog and have tremendous thrust at practically any usable RPM.

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Here's a couple more. Top one is Steve @ Westech doing a little documentation, and then there's Tony in the background pretending he's doing something important.... I kid!

This bottom one is Kendra (aka Stan) and I. Like Tony said, theres a story behind that. It's not worth telling. But I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that he called by her nickname all weekend She was a trooper and didn't complain....much.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Nice lookng motor AND GF lol
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is seriously awesome. Those are amazing numbers-- Can't wait to see more!

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Girlfriend? Not even Fiancé ? JK LOL!
I just tell my wife I need one Vice, and at least I'm not blowing it
In Bars, Gambling on Sports or whatever. LOL!
Girlfriend for now... I just ordered heads / cam / intake, etc from Tony.. I don't have money for engagement rings! Priorities, man!
(Thankfully she doesn't have access to this forum )

Quick Reply: Budget build LOL heavy Mamo content inside