Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will machining and balancing be needed to change pistons on 15k mile build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will machining and balancing be needed to change pistons on 15k mile build

I have a LQ 408 with about 15k miles on it. Current compression ratio is 11.1:1 but soon I'm wanting to drop the compression to 9:1 for my turbo build. It has an Eagle rotating assembly so Ill be reusing crank and rods.

My questions are,

Will I need to hone the cylinders? I had the heads off recently and could still see the crosshatching in the cylinder walls from when the block was bored .030". But I've heard that not all pistons are the exactly the same bore so a machinist should match it or something like that.

If I reuse the crank and rods with new pistons should I have everything balanced or do pistons come balance and I could just pop them in.

Is it possible to go from 11:1 to 9:1 by buying heads with larger combustion chamber, or are new pistons a requirement. Current heads are AFR 230s with 70cc chambers.

Can I replace crank and rod bearings by just throwing new ones on or is machining required.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc803
I have a LQ 408 with about 15k miles on it. Current compression ratio is 11.1:1 but soon I'm wanting to drop the compression to 9:1 for my turbo build. It has an Eagle rotating assembly so Ill be reusing crank and rods.

My questions are,

Will I need to hone the cylinders? I had the heads off recently and could still see the crosshatching in the cylinder walls from when the block was bored .030". But I've heard that not all pistons are the exactly the same bore so a machinist should match it or something like that.

If I reuse the crank and rods with new pistons should I have everything balanced or do pistons come balance and I could just pop them in.

Is it possible to go from 11:1 to 9:1 by buying heads with larger combustion chamber, or are new pistons a requirement. Current heads are AFR 230s with 70cc chambers.

Can I replace crank and rod bearings by just throwing new ones on or is machining required.

Thanks.
If you got pistons with the same rings and reuse your old ones, then you could get away without honing it. Your machinist would probably recommend honing it to make sure piston-wall clearance is set correctly though.

If the new pistons don't weigh the same as your old ones, you will need to rebalance the crank.

You can replace the bearings without machining so long as the housing bores and crankshaft journals are within spec.
The following users liked this post:
02*C5 (07-18-2023)
Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

I'm collecting info and planning on doing the same thing as the OP since my na 408 is no where near where I want it to be.

I am unsure what compression ratio would be good, I have read from 9-10.5, even higher on e85. I also looked into changing compression with larger chamber heads, 72cc is the largest I have come across. I am still just reading.

I was messing around with some online CR calculators, and my only problem is that I don't know my deck height on my iron 6.0. I have heard that stock untouched blocks can vary by .010, and I know that there was .005 removed from mine to true it up, so on the calculators I changed the deck height like .020 was removed with the 72cc heads and I think I came up with around 10.5 CR.

I think it's easier to just tear the motor down completely and change pistons, get it all balanced etc.

I also had to guess on the calculator with my head combustion chamber size. Mine were 64cc, but the machinist scratched them accidently and removed .002, so I guessed that they were 62cc now. I am a little higher CR than you with my close guesses, numbers got lost over the years.

Plus I.m not sure if my crank and rods are good enough. Callies Compstars, but I have read that they are good to 1000hp, and also good to 750hp, but have been pushed to 1100hp. I wish I could start from scratch.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

I know what you mean by wanting to start from scratch. I'm debating putting my 408 in my wifes project car and building another 408 for myself. That way I'm only building one engine instead of 1 1/2
Old 07-16-2023, 03:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing same now

I actually used LS PISTONS
Old 07-16-2023, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOODMOTORSPORTS
As opposed to??
Old 07-17-2023, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey that's great, so did I
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Hey that's great, so did I
Gotta love the occasional BOT..... LOL
Old 07-17-2023, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
As opposed to??
the l8T build
Old 07-17-2023, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

the l8T build
More details, please.....
Old 07-17-2023, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts

My questions are,

Thanks.
Late to the party and way out of left field but hear me out here man. That's a hell of a lot of work to do to an already good running engine.

If it were me, I'd go find a used 5.3 to blow up while I sort out the turbo setup and I can admire that 408 on a stand without hurting it.

There's nothing wrong with 11 to 1 and a turbo. Absolutely nothing at all. Don't let anyone on here. Tell you you need less compression I would run more personally.

The only things you really need to do are check the ring gaps are loose enough (somebody else can tell you what they need to be) and If you are in there you might as well go with a turbo friendly camshaft grind Just install it without any advance or even back it off a couple degrees from straight up if you are worried about cylinder pressure. That's what you're worried about right cylinder pressure?

​​​​​​The smaller more efficient combustion chamber will always require less boost pressure psi atmospheres whatever to make the same power as a larger one, especially a nice, smooth aftermarket one that's even less prone to detonation than the OEM stuff 😎

Basically by reducing your compression, your increasing the pressure in the pipes outside the engine ( The boost ) over what you would need for a more efficient, higher compression naturally aspirated engine to make the same output.

What is your goal here?

If you're in this big of a hurry to throw your money away, send it to me for my advice because you'll make the most power this way Just optimize what you have with the right ring gap and camshaft timing.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jc803 hasn't been here since 2016.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know what you mean by wanting to start from scratch. I'm debating putting my 408 in my wifes project car and building another 408 for myself. That way I'm only building one engine instead of 1 1/2
Not a bad idea.

Anytime you change the bearings all the caps should be torqued down and the bearings measured for size and consistency. New pistons call for balancing, that is if you want a balanced assembly.

Quick Reply: Will machining and balancing be needed to change pistons on 15k mile build