Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts and input on 5.3 build for Jeep Mud/Crawler

Old 12-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts and input on 5.3 build for Jeep Mud/Crawler

Recipe for motor build for my Jeep YJ Mud/Crawler that is on 41" tires and one ton axles 4.56 gears.

Stock 2006 LM7 (currently in the jeep and runs excellent!!) want more power though and can't afford a 6.0.

Parts collected so far.
Flat top pistons and rods from a GenIV 5.3
LS1 head gaskets
799 heads rebuilt with Brain Tooley dual springs, milled .020, and 3 angle valve job.
NNBS intake, 87mm TB, and X-Link
EPS cam 210/212 .604"/.604" 112 LSA

Currently has a Muncie sm465 trans that is great but with this motor I really need an auto, so will probably switch to a 4L60e cant fit a 80e. Will most likely never see over 5k rpm.

Some questions I have:
1. If you have any input, advice, HP or CR predictions can you please share?
2. If the motor is running like new now, then when I swap pistons all that should be required is a hone and new rings right?
3. Or could the current rings just be swapped to the new pistons?
4. If I switch to an auto 4L60e what stall would you run?
5. Are the stock 2006 lifters and rockers good enough?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing the same thing right now. YJ Wrangler, 4.8 / 4l60e. I'm on 35s and 4:11 gears. I'm also yanking the SM465 that is in there now.

I'm not sure they type of wheeling you do, but I wanted to optimize torque under 4500 RPM since that is where you spend most of your time unless you are rock bouncing of something similar. I'm primarily doing rock crawling and general trail riding.

I went with a somewhat less aggressive CAM:
http://store.cammotion.com/48l-290-ci-95-compression-2

I also didn't want to run a stall converter because I've been told they are horrible on the trail and try and cook your trans with all the heat they build up while wheeling. You might want to look into this. With proper gearing I don't think its is going to affect much with the cam I'm running anyways.

For your setup, you will definitely need custom pushrods so be prepared for that. I'd also put new lifters on the list of parts. What is your compression ratio going to be with flatops and milled 799s? Seem like it might be pretty high...not necessarily bad and all depends on the type of wheeling you are doing. Id personally leave the stock pistons in there and just put the heads on. Alternatively sell me the heads for my other project! :-)

What transfercase are you going with?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozrCruzr
I'm doing the same thing right now. YJ Wrangler, 4.8 / 4l60e. I'm on 35s and 4:11 gears. I'm also yanking the SM465 that is in there now.

I'm not sure they type of wheeling you do, but I wanted to optimize torque under 4500 RPM since that is where you spend most of your time unless you are rock bouncing of something similar. I'm primarily doing rock crawling and general trail riding.

I went with a somewhat less aggressive CAM:
http://store.cammotion.com/48l-290-ci-95-compression-2

I also didn't want to run a stall converter because I've been told they are horrible on the trail and try and cook your trans with all the heat they build up while wheeling. You might want to look into this. With proper gearing I don't think its is going to affect much with the cam I'm running anyways.

For your setup, you will definitely need custom pushrods so be prepared for that. I'd also put new lifters on the list of parts. What is your compression ratio going to be with flatops and milled 799s? Seem like it might be pretty high...not necessarily bad and all depends on the type of wheeling you are doing. Id personally leave the stock pistons in there and just put the heads on. Alternatively sell me the heads for my other project! :-)

What transfercase are you going with?
Yeah I worked with Geoff at EPS and that was what he spec'd out for me. Only thing that has changed is I always planned on running a manual and was going to switch to a NV4500 so stall converters were never discussed. The NV4500 is next to impossible to find around here so started thinking about going to the 4L60e. He said that this cam would improve bottom end mostly, some mid range, and top end would basically stay like stock. Power increases would stop around 4500-5000 rpm.

A Gen IV 5.3 with flat tops and 799 heads have a 9.9:1 CR so milling .020, maybe like 10.2:1 (Somebody correct me if I'm off on that). What do you think the CR would be if I left the dished pistons in and just swapped on the 799 heads? I think right now with the 706 heads I'm 9.8:1. Yeah I'm ready for remeasuring the pushrods, nervous about it though. I've never done it but doesn't seem to hard.

HAHA No the heads are not for sale. I have more $$ tied up in them than I do in buying the complete motor, crazy. Right now my transfer case is a NP241D from a 93 Dodge Ramcharger. Went with this because it has a factory fixed yoke no slip yoke crap and 241s have a good low gear. I also had a np241c from a 3/4 suburban that I robbed the input and planteries from and swapped them into the Dodge np241 so it would fit the 32 spline output on the sm465. Oh and had to have a custom clocking ring made with 18* of rotation.

But I've been thinking about building a Dana 300 if I switch transmissions. Would like to have the twin stick controls.

Heres a link to my build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...build-2633266/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts and input on 5.3 build for Jeep Mud/Crawler