Sponsored by:

White steam/smoke puffing from oil cap/dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White steam/smoke puffing from oil cap/dipstick

Hey guys,

I picked up a 99 Trans am ls1 with a v9 vortech supercharger and I'm having a problem that might be bigger than I'm hoping. It's low miles, 40k original, but I'm pretty sure it's been driven hard as its already has a new trans put in. I got it pretty cheap so that much is good.

Here's the problem... It blows a lot of steam from the oil cap and dips tick (if I open them whole running). It does it when it's cold and hot. More when hot. It's a lot of steam and it is puffing out like a steam train. Comes out the exhaust too. A decent amount of condensation out the tail pipes. I replaced the oil and didn't see really any water in it (no fluid water or milkyness) except just a very small amount on the dip stick. Nothing obvious as far as oil in the coolant either. It's white steam, not blue smoke. It seems to run fine and have full power. The car has sat a LOT over the last few years so I understand it could be just condensation working it's way out. But it's a lot of it. And the pulsating puffing leads me to believe maybe bad rings or something? Any way to tell before having to do a compression test? (since the blower is there, that will be a pita. No room)

Is this something that I should be really concerned about? Or just let it be and see how it does? I haven't driven it barely at all since I got it (when I didn't notice the problem and drove it 200 miles fine)
Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Watch the oil and coolant level to see if you are loosing either.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Teching In

So far I haven't noticed any loss of oil. Coolant was low so I'll watch that now that it's refilled. Has anybody had the steam puffing out from the oil cap like this?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davy Bass
So far I haven't noticed any loss of oil. Coolant was low so I'll watch that now that it's refilled. Has anybody had the steam puffing out from the oil cap like this?
What does the oil on your dip stick look like?
Old 01-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Pretty clean. I saw a tiny bit of milkyness on the edge of the dip stick, but that was all
Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If it has been sitting for a long time it could be condensation burning out of the crankcase. It can also mean that you are getting excessive blow by past the rings.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Could the pulsating puffing (like a steam train) exist if it was just steam from the crank case?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davy Bass
Could the pulsating puffing (like a steam train) exist if it was just steam from the crank case?
Try changing the oil. If it starts doing it and you get milky oil again you can rule out condensation
Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the crank rotation causing a little pressure next to the end of the dipstick causing the pulse. It might just be condensation. Do what Darth said. Change the oil and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Do a compression check on all 8 cylinders. The pulsating/puffing has me thinking you might have some piston damage.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say that but I was trying to get him off easy.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Since it is supercharged make sure all the pcv hoses are routed correctly for your setup.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Davy Bass;19095989]Hey guys,

I picked up a 99 Trans am ls1 with a v9 vortech supercharger and I'm having a problem that might be bigger than I'm hoping. It's low miles, 40k original, but I'm pretty sure it's been driven hard as its already has a new trans put in. I got it pretty cheap so that much is good.

Sounds like ur crankcase pressure is building and escaping where it can.
I had the same issue with a old SBC when the PCV system got plugged up.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Do a compression check on all 8 cylinders. The pulsating/puffing has me thinking you might have some piston damage.
Am update for anyone who may come across this later.

I​​​​​​ heard from a prior, prior owner that it had a blown piston ring on one of the cylinders. It makes sense. I would occasionally get a misfire cel at high rpms too. The car also had some oil residue in the engine ba​​​​​​y.

I actually sold the car a long time ago now while it was running pretty normally. I never drove it hard so I didn't have any problems with it really. It will probably need a rebuild.

I hope for the next buyers sake that that's wrong but it makes sense. Course the guy who sold it to me like that lied so I guess I can't take all the blame...

Quick Reply: White steam/smoke puffing from oil cap/dipstick