Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

408 LQ4 Gen III Block Build QUESTIONS ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation 408 LQ4 Gen III Block Build QUESTIONS ***

Hello All I have some questions going into this build of course and forgive me im sure some if not all of them have been asked and answered but cant seem to find all the answers in the same place so here we go.

Background: Currently I have an 06 CTSV LS2 Aluminum block and setup.

I want to basically replace the LS2 Aluminum Block with the LQ4 Iron block I just got my hands on WHY you ask. Mainly because I go bore the iron block more and achieve my 408ci goal with correct rotating assembly and we all know the Iron block is stronger base platform.

What I already know the knock sensors have to be moved to the lower side of the LQ4 block.

Now on to the Questions:

What Valley plate do I need the LS2 valley wont work I know cause the oil pressure sensor is different on the LQ4 not attached to the valley like my LS2 and of course the CAM sensor is in the rear as well which I will just relocate using my LS2 timing cover.

BUT what Oil pressure sensor do I use? what Valley plate? Do I just use a breather on the valve cover for PVC or get ls6 valley plate and hook the PVC backup as it is now on my LS2?

And the other question can I just Drop in a 58x Crank and us my LS2 Crank sensor in the side of the block will that work for the crank? Or do I have to stay with 24x and use a pig tail of some kind on that sensor cause I know the Crank sensors are different.

And any other advice going into the build is GREATLY apprecaited All thanks for reading over an taking time an input to help prevent me having Build ERRORS

Chris
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by c4love
Hello All I have some questions going into this build of course and forgive me im sure some if not all of them have been asked and answered but cant seem to find all the answers in the same place so here we go.

Background: Currently I have an 06 CTSV LS2 Aluminum block and setup.

I want to basically replace the LS2 Aluminum Block with the LQ4 Iron block I just got my hands on WHY you ask. Mainly because I go bore the iron block more and achieve my 408ci goal with correct rotating assembly and we all know the Iron block is stronger base platform.

What I already know the knock sensors have to be moved to the lower side of the LQ4 block.

Now on to the Questions:

What Valley plate do I need the LS2 valley wont work I know cause the oil pressure sensor is different on the LQ4 not attached to the valley like my LS2 and of course the CAM sensor is in the rear as well which I will just relocate using my LS2 timing cover.

BUT what Oil pressure sensor do I use? what Valley plate? Do I just use a breather on the valve cover for PVC or get ls6 valley plate and hook the PVC backup as it is now on my LS2?

And the other question can I just Drop in a 58x Crank and us my LS2 Crank sensor in the side of the block will that work for the crank? Or do I have to stay with 24x and use a pig tail of some kind on that sensor cause I know the Crank sensors are different.

And any other advice going into the build is GREATLY apprecaited All thanks for reading over an taking time an input to help prevent me having Build ERRORS

Chris
Gen III valley cover, LS6 cover preferably. Knock sensors are in the valley of an LQ4 block, why not leave them there and use a harness adaptor/extension from one of this site's sponsors?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 64post
Gen III valley cover, LS6 cover preferably. Knock sensors are in the valley of an LQ4 block, why not leave them there and use a harness adaptor/extension from one of this site's sponsors?
Not apposed to leaving the knock sensors in the Valley? Didnt know they had extensions or what extensions to buy? And didnt know if this is the best idea or just relocate? Not hard to have Machine shop tap to holes in the side of block and keep the factory location.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Default CAM BEARINGS? Which ones?

Also what CAM bearings is recommended for the LQ4 block? Should I just go back with Stock GM bearings? or is something better?:confused
Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

You could also make your LS2 into a 402 and you will still have the lighter aluminum block and not have to make any other changes.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
You could also make your LS2 into a 402 and you will still have the lighter aluminum block and not have to make any other changes.
^^This^^ I'd give up 6 cubes for the weight savings!
Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I tossed that Idea around as well. I just like the Iron over the aluminum I want the strongest base possible in case I go forced induction in the Future. And I can reduce weight lots of ways although the 70lbs is not a worry honestly.

Thanks for the input though!

Seems nobody has any real input on my actual questions. I figured these would be answered in the first 5 min on this site! lol Maybe this swap is more of a pain than I figured.... Hmmmmmm

Chris

Quick Reply: 408 LQ4 Gen III Block Build QUESTIONS ***