Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams Cam Whine... is theres a way to inspect the cam before install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Comp Cams Cam Whine... is theres a way to inspect the cam before install?

i brought 2 cam kit from a well know company , they are grinded on comp cams cores..

both brand new with pushrods and double springs
the ls3 one has a whine , mostly on de acceleration ,and high rpm , its like a supercharger sound alike noise

the ls1 cam hasnt been installed yet , i dont want to work twice for a bad cam finish

question is > is there a way to verify if the cam has a good finish? what lobes are the main problem here? can i clean these imperfections myself ?

its not funny, to take the cam out just because poor QC
Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I can typically see it pretty quick in the right light if I am holding in my hand. I just had one the other day from another company who started grinding cams recently and the chatter was very obvious. I don't know how visible it would be in a photo if you tried to post it. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

profilometer....sure some machine shop close by has one.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Isn't it easier to buy a product you can have confidence in?
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I can typically see it pretty quick in the right light if I am holding in my hand. I just had one the other day from another company who started grinding cams recently and the chatter was very obvious. I don't know how visible it would be in a photo if you tried to post it. Good luck.
Can you describe what to look for? Do the lobes have like steps or something?
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Isn't it easier to buy a product you can have confidence in?
And it has been spoken.

But no, somebody is sitting behind their keyboard swearing this is all a hoax and Comp has never done wrong.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Went through this **** with Lunati cams twice in a row and got shafted. They refused to take return. All they'd do is take the cams back and repolish them and send them back.

Cam motion stepped up for me when that happened and I will be a customer for life because of it. It's worth the extra $50. You get a cam closer to the requested specs, better core material, and better polishing process. You're getting a ton for that extra $50.

if you're dead set on installing the cam, what you can do is fire the car up before you put the balancer and **** back on. At least you'll know if it whines before you do the rest of the labor.

Kind of like I did here after installing the cam motion cam.

Previous lunati ones. I bought the 2nd one thinking the 1st one was a fluke, and I was going to send back the first one. I didn't want to send it back before I had a cam, because then I would have had a bunch of down time with the car half torn apart.

Last edited by mchicia1; 01-20-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
Can you describe what to look for? Do the lobes have like steps or something?
It is very subtle but can be visible. It is the results of a little chatter from the grinding wheel. If you have been around machine work like working with a flat grinder you would recognize it. A good machinist would be able to spot it if you have one local to you. If you do, they may be able to polish it for you just to be sure. Also, Cam Motion will polish them for $25 +shipping. They have helped out other guys who had that problem.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a whine in my cam . Just got it out and sure enough , if you look close in bright sun light you can see the chatter that has been talked about . Mine was around the whole lobe . It looks like a waves of horizontal lines all the way around the lobe . Took my friend a few times of looking at it to see it . You have to look close .
Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 PM
Teching In

thanks for the inputs

this is the cam that hasnt been installed yet

are this the waves that you are mention above homemade87 ?

draw some red dots with my cell phone as guide

Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Old School Heavy

Yep. That is it.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Chinese grinding media and lack of dressing. It's not a people problem it's a process problem.

It can be polished out.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stuffs
thanks for the inputs

this is the cam that hasnt been installed yet

are this the waves that you are mention above homemade87 ?

draw some red dots with my cell phone as guide

as Speedtiger said , that is it . Looks just like mine and whined like crazy . If you put that in you will have the whine .
Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Now im worried and kind of pissed. I bought a cam from Texas speed a while back. It was made by comp and looked just like this. The motor is still on a stand ready to drop in. I really don't want to buy the gaskets and seals to take this cam out again if I don't have to. If this whines im going to drive to comp and launch it out of a potato gun right back to them. I wonder how many other cams are out there like this. And not just for LS engines.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugbug288
Now im worried and kind of pissed. I bought a cam from Texas speed a while back. It was made by comp and looked just like this. The motor is still on a stand ready to drop in. I really don't want to buy the gaskets and seals to take this cam out again if I don't have to. If this whines im going to drive to comp and launch it out of a potato gun right back to them. I wonder how many other cams are out there like this. And not just for LS engines.
Probably tons, but a lot of people don't care, so it doesn't get reported. I know people thought I was crazy for being annoyed by it and said to just keep it in.

It drove me nuts though.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would think, from now on, guys would quit buying cams that aren't ground by Cam Motion. Obviously other cam grinders could care less about the customer, turning out garbage.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a BTR cam cut by Comp, and it sounds like I have a power steering pump whining - is that the sound? Didnt start till I stuck that cam in there.

But here's a question - should the sound disappear after the lifters roll on the lobes for a while and smooth them out?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
I have a BTR cam cut by Comp, and it sounds like I have a power steering pump whining - is that the sound? Didnt start till I stuck that cam in there.

But here's a question - should the sound disappear after the lifters roll on the lobes for a while and smooth them out?
Possible but really dependant on the surface finish to begin with.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wanted to expand a little on what I said a few days ago.

I've spent alot of time around machining in general. The posted lobe while not optimal, most likely meets the finish specification of the manufacturer.

Now let me say I'm not bias to one company or another and have used them all over the years.

At a guess the surface finish on that lobe is somewhere between 15-20ra and will most likely not cause a premature failure given the valve train being setup properly.

Optimal would be in the 5-10ra range. Surface grinding is a very complex process, not to mention I'm confident most cam manufactures are using older equipment ~50 yr old equipment at that.

The latest greatest cnc grinding machines from Gleason, Reishauser, Okuma to name a few are hundreds of thousand to millions of dollars. That's one heck of capitol request in today's world of manufacturing.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69-chvl

69 , I just got a new cam from BTR as well . I requested that cam motion be used . After inspecting the cam and having one with the problem so I new what to look for . The cam motion cam has no signs of the what I call waves on it . So I expect good results .

Also don't expect the sound to diminish .

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Cam Whine... is theres a way to inspect the cam before install?