Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those did not fail. I'm interested in parts failures that people have first hand knowledge personally. This latest posting made me take one apart even though I had no signs of damage, but at least now I know

Kurt
Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Why is everyone missing that the 2nd set of pictures were rockers that were never run, so never dry started.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427
Those did not fail. I'm interested in parts failures that people have first hand knowledge personally. This latest posting made me take one apart even though I had no signs of damage, but at least now I know

Kurt
Your image of failure is skewed.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have info about what happened with the second set when they started I missed it in the thread. If someone else ran them and posted I missed the connection. If they did not run and fail it's understanding that I lack, and I'm old

Kurt
Originally Posted by brobinson216
Your image of failure is skewed.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cstraub

We did some procedure changes to how we assemble the rocker sets to minimize any particles.

Thank you.

Chris Straub
Old 07-26-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 427
If you have info about what happened with the second set when they started I missed it in the thread. If someone else ran them and posted I missed the connection. If they did not run and fail it's understanding that I lack, and I'm old

Kurt
What part of they were never run don't you understand? They were assembled by Straub and shipped to him in that condition is the way I read it. I don't think anyone said they failed, just that they were contaminated with brass shavings.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

My interest is in the parts ability to do the job, that is all.
We have pictures of a failed set, that interests me. That set had material galled, that comes from tight clearance or lack of initial lubrication. Installer says they started audibly squealing when started, that is lack of lubrication on assembly.

We have pictures of another set that DID NOT RUN. They DID NOT FAIL. The person that put up the pictures did not assemble them or run them. No info from this is helpful in any way for me, or anybody else that purchases this product and installs it themselves. They have debris on the ends in the pictures, but it's possible the Russians did it as they hate the LS . Either way nothing of value in these pictures.

Kurt
What part of they were never run don't you understand? They were assembled by Straub and shipped to him in that condition is the way I read it. I don't think anyone said they failed, just that they were contaminated with brass shavings.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm just going to guess you rode the short bus to school.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

First and foremost the customer is the best QC for any company. When assembly of the bushing since it is a softer metal you will get some bronze alloy material to roll up during the press in stage. A good ******* with an air hose will take care of this. The fellow that does the assembly missed this step and we have since addressed it.

The installation of the C-Clips did not make the bronze material. This kit was designed to be installed with tools that most would have in the garage. The majority of kits are sold to DIY guys and we are seeing great success.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Normal length bus I think.
How many sets have you installed?
How many had problems?
Any pictures of yours?

Kurt
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First and foremost the customer is the best QC for any company. When assembly of the bushing since it is a softer metal you will get some bronze alloy material to roll up during the press in stage. A good ******* with an air hose will take care of this. The fellow that does the assembly missed this step and we have since addressed it.

The installation of the C-Clips did not make the bronze material. This kit was designed to be installed with tools that most would have in the garage. The majority of kits are sold to DIY guys and we are seeing great success.
LOL at the way you worded that. Thanks for the clarification Chris.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to tell you something that people tell me all the time...customers....they respect me for the way I handle myself when the post is good or bad about me or my products on the internet and that's reason they do business with me an not others.

When the personal attacks begin your credibility goes in the toilet. I don't know Kurt from you but the lack of RESPECT has put this country in the place where it is. We all love hotrods and we share that, so just because of that reason show some respect.

Last edited by Cstraub; 07-26-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 427
Normal length bus I think.
How many sets have you installed?
How many had problems?
Any pictures of yours?

Kurt
Mine are being assembled in Russia now.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

That's what I figured

I'm not really interested in the he said she said, just solid info on a new products ability inside my favorite type engine. I have installed 4 or 5 sets, my memory sucks so I can't remember which. I have used both designs of the oiling. I installed all of them with motor oil in fixtures I built myself, with no instruction or parental guidance. I can put up pictures of the fixtures if anybody wants, but it's basic common sense stuff. They are all running extremely well, but I have only looked at one set. That set was in very good condition. All but one set are installed in engines with restricted pushrods. One set has 170/500 springs (eek), I only know they sound good and the oil filter is clean on changes on that car. I will get those back during the winter for a look if the filters stay clean.

Kurt
Mine are being assembled in Russia now.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chris,

Did you evaluated the supplier assembled product I returned, it was easy to see other material's besides bronze was present. There were metallic chips from what appeared to have came from the rocker bore. My fear was based around those metallic particles wedging into the bronze during press, in which compressed air would never remove.

I made sure not to disturb the original plastic heat sealed bags for you to preform a through analysis and correct the design flaw appropriately.

Many keep making the assumption, the first set of noisy bushings, were a result lack of lubrication (dry startup) which is not the case.

You asked earlier what my motive was? It's simply this, everyone keeps singing praises on how good the product is. I spent a fair amount of time measuring both components, even matched existing tooling to press the assemblies correctly. I've never bashed you or anyone, rather just showing the results of my experience with the product.

Is it possible my first set was out of tolerance specification to begin with?
Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good ******* will fix a lot of things.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mercier
A good ******* will fix a lot of things.

True Statement!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:24 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You gotta wonder who really rode the short bus when you're the one to talk **** about Kurt Urban of all people. Keep the argument technical and respectful. Another personal attack and you'll be on vacation.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by brobinson216

Just in case anyone wanted to question my questioning........as Paul Harvey would state "And the Rest of the Story"

About 2 months ago as posted many pages back in the thread. My assembly process was followed according vast understanding of measurments, tolerance stack up, proper lubrication, and the instructions provided in the bushing kit.

After startup a very loud squealing was present, which diminished after 20-30 seconds of runtime.

The supplier/manufacture was made aware and at which time contacted me with question of the sub-assembly of my rockers. We agreed the supplier would supply me with a pre-assembled replacement set of rockers in return I would send my rocker's (Assembled by me) back for evaluation. Both parties agreed.

Two days later I received the preassembled rocker assemblies nicely packaged. Initial evaluation of the product revealed lots of material debris around the bushing and snap ring area.

The ultimate decision was made on my end to return the product, with my quality concerns to the supplier allowing them to complete their diligence in determining root cause in efforts to make the product better.

Here are photos of the new supplier assembled rocker assemblies sent to me for replacement.

Make your own determinations from this point forward.
Originally Posted by KCS
You gotta wonder who really rode the short bus when you're the one to talk **** about Kurt Urban of all people. Keep the argument technical and respectful. Another personal attack and you'll be on vacation.
Well then I would hope that someone of his stature might see a problem with vendor installed/supplied trunions that were never run that look like this instead of continuing to say they have no interest in them. That is the point I was making.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Someone of my stature? Is that a fat joke, cause I'm not short?

I still have no interest in those pictures. I'm very interested in running info on this product and will provide first hand info of the sets I run as I get it.

Kurt
Well then I would hope that someone of his stature might see a problem with vendor installed/supplied trunions that were never run that look like this instead of continuing to say they have no interest in them. That is the point I was making.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

stat·ure
ˈstaCHər/
noun
noun: stature

a person's natural height.
"a man of short stature"
synonyms: height, tallness; More
size, build
"she was small in stature"
importance or reputation gained by ability or achievement.
"an architect of international stature"
synonyms: reputation, repute, standing, status, position, prestige, distinction, eminence, preeminence, prominence, importance, influence, note, fame, celebrity, renown, acclaim

If there is no way to avoid introducing that metal particulate to an engine X16 by using this trunion upgrade then I'm glad I was made aware of that by the pictures. Those brass slivers and particles may have no effect on anything. They may all get trapped in the filter before they cause any harm. Again I am not trying to discredit the product, but it's nice to be aware of what you are getting. I'm glad I saw the pictures.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?