Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
I think he was referring specifically to LS7 applications. There has been mention that the bore on the LS7 rockers is slightly tighter than the rest.
The driving experience cars are 2011-2014 Corvettes. 6 kits have been installed by my customer HBR at LVMS and they have not had to touch the rockers.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just ordered a set. I have a 12 ton press, do I just use sockets to press the bushings into the rocker or is there a certain tool needed to set their depth into the rocker body?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbull87
Just received my bushing kit today. Looks like quality pieces and I can say dealing with Martin was cake.Especially being in Canada. I plan to install them tomorrow. Looking forward to putting them to work when winter is over.
Glad you got them safely! Thank you for your business!
The following users liked this post:
greaseball (01-09-2024)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Just ordered a set. I have a 12 ton press, do I just use sockets to press the bushings into the rocker or is there a certain tool needed to set their depth into the rocker body?
I bought 4 sets of rockers off of Ebay. We used sockets out of a Snap On set and Sockets out of a Performance Tool set. We used a table top drill press, a vice, and an 1 ton arbor press. We were able to assemble the sets using all of these tools / machines. A DIY guy with some time and simple tools at the house will be fine. Instructions are in the kits. Any dealers needing instructions email me and I will send you a file.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered directly. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trunnion Kit with Bolts

Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub

Trunnion Kit with Bolts

Will the OE bolts also work?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's been brought up a few times that the LS7 bodies are tighter than the others. Is this critical? How would one at home remedy this?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 PM
FormerVendor

Looking good Chris!

I have two sets of trunion kits in testing right now.

One is on a turbocharged 370" engine with a S480 paired with a SRD camshaft.

The other will be a very interesting test bed. It's a 416" with 13.75:1 CR topped with WCCH Stage 2 stock LS3 castings a Mast single plane intake and is 2700lb race weight sitting on a 31" tire.

Currently the stall converter is waaaay too tight for a N/A engine. It pulls the engine down nearly 300rpm after it grabs the engine which hurts the 60' and 330'. When the car 60's in the 1.12-1.14 range like it should with the tire the car has paired with a looser converter the car will go 8.80's or faster. Car has been 9.0's@151 currently with a 1.29 60' and air fuel ratio averaging in the low 12's throughout the run. Shift RPM is 7700 and it's going through the traps at 7900rpm which will go up when the converter gets loosened.

The S480 370" doesn't have the upgraded ARP fasteners while the 416" N/A motor does.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jontall
Will the OE bolts also work?
Yes they will in most cases of the first 3 runs and will fit in all the runs since mid Feb. The OEM bolt head varies some in diameter, around .007" from small to large. On the plus side these bolts need some slight "trimming" on a grinder or belt sander. We opened up this area on later runs so there is no chance of the OEM bolt not working.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FRiCK
It's been brought up a few times that the LS7 bodies are tighter than the others. Is this critical? How would one at home remedy this?
For a Bushing or Sleeve type bearing application to work properly they need clearance so that a layer of oil is between the bushing and axle. This clearance is has a wide acceptable range. A .001" is not going to affect it.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cstraub
For a Bushing or Sleeve type bearing application to work properly they need clearance so that a layer of oil is between the bushing and axle. This clearance is has a wide acceptable range. A .001" is not going to affect it.
Thanks. So you're confident this is still a drop in kit that the average gear head can install at home.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FRiCK
Thanks. So you're confident this is still a drop in kit that the average gear head can install at home.
If one feels he can follow this:

Straub Technologies LS SureOil Trunnion Kit Instructions (Fits all LS OEM Rockers)
Tools Needed: Drill Press, Vice, or Press / 5/8” 6 Point Shallow Well Socket / 1/2” 6 Point Deep Well Socket
7/8” 6 Shallow Well Socket / Snap Ring Pliers / Safety Glass / Motor oil that is being used in engine build
Disassembly
1. Remove items from packaging and visual inspect all parts. You should have 16 trunnions, 32 bushings, and 32 Snap Rings. If you have purchased the optional hardware kit you should have 16 8MM bolts.
2. Clean your rocker assemblies off removing any oil or dirt before disassembly.
3. Using the 7/8” socket on 1 side to catch the trunnion and bearings and using the ½” socket on the opposite side to push the trunnion and bearing assemblies out using your vice or your press. If using a drill press center the rocker over the thru hole of the drill press instead of using the 7/8” socket. The assemblies will remove easily with just a little force. Repeat this for all 16 rockers.
4. After you have all of the rockers disassembled, wash the rockers using Dawn or another soap to remove the oil and dirt from the rockers. Blow dry with high pressure air if possible.
Assembly
1. Grab a rocker and apply a little oil all around the housing bore of the rocker where the bushing will be pressed in.
2. Set the rocker on the flat surface of the press or drill press. If using a vice grab a rocker, a bushing, and the 5/8” socket. Align 1 bushing against the side of the rocker that you are going to install the first bushing. Place the driver side of the 5/8” socket against the bushing. Slowly apply pressure from the vice or press that you are using to start the bushing into the housing. Once it has started press the bushing till it is flush with the side of the rocker.
3. Place the rocker with pressed in bushing on the open side of the 7/8” Shallow well or if using a drill press over the through hole.
4. Drop the trunnion in place in the rocker. Place the second bushing on the rocker body.
5. Using the 5/8” Shallow Well socket place the open end towards the bushing. Center the socket and slowly apply pressure until the bushing starts to press into the rocker body. Once it starts press the bushing till it is flush with the rocker body.
6. Now hold the rocker by the ends of the trunnion and make sure it spins freely. If it does your almost done.
7. Take the snap ring pliers and install the snap ring on each side of the rocker. Apply a little oil to the rocker area so that it reaches the oil channel in the trunnion.
8. Repeat this 15 more times and you are DONE!!! * If you have the bolt kit, Torque to 29#/ft ww.straubtechnologies.com

Then I am confident the DYI can achieve success.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fired mine up tonight. The valve train is most definitely quieter. Took the car out also with the addition of the 11/32 manton push rods. The motor seems quieter going down the interstate at 3200 rpm(th400)
Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received my kit the other day, sure it will perform as good as it looks.Fitted mine up in a vice using a couple of thick washers 2 sockets and circlip pliers anyone could do it.Not sure if anyone has asked this but is there any reason Chris why you recomend torqueing them to 29#ft when the factory settings are 22#ft.Cheers from perth Western Australia.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

I first heard of these on machinistone's IG. I then passed on the info to my brother and we both have been researching the kit. We are both putting a set in our motors. He should be finishing his up tonight.

Just because I like to know.....who is the actual manufacturer of these kits? Smith Brothers?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by VortecBlazer

Just because I like to know.....who is the actual manufacturer of these kits? Smith Brothers?
Straub Technologies owned by none other than himself, Mr. Chris Straub.

*Drum roll please*

Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subd for later info.
Seeing how heavy duty trucks use bushings for the rockers I would think bushings would be the way to go. Especially for a motor that's going to be daily driver.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Straub Technologies owned by none other than himself, Mr. Chris Straub.

*Drum roll please*

Thank you sir!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed my kit with basic sockets,washers,and bfh! Its not hard to do or get wrong.Just use a flat surface and patience. My kit didnt come with instructions but its self explainitory once you get the rocker apart.Press in one bushing,insert trunion...press in other bushing,snap on the clips and onto the next. Im very pleased with the product for the money Im glad i didnt do the standard comp trunion upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-head3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?