Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 cts v turbo. Long story...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 cts v turbo. Long story...

So I know this will seem lengthy but i need advice and some might find it funny/ interesting. I bought the car in 2014 shortly after moving to southern utah. I decided this winter to take the venture and slap a turbo on this thing..... I decided to do everything myself being an experienced welder and i have a saw with new blades i said f it. long story short the ls6 did not like boost, about 5k on the first motor (with boost) at 5 lbs and cylinder #7 said bye bye. My bad... So i picked up a fresh lq4 swapped my g5x3, springs, new chain etc... Installed a monster triple disc and some 80lb injectors and began with the tune. The tune was a pain with limited injector data but i got it pretty dialed and it seems great it has some cold start issues i am working on but over all pretty happy. While tuning i got a hair up my *** and decided to play with the **** next to my wastegate... 7lbs fun, 10 lbs = zero traction/f***s given, 11 lbs=voice in my head saying thats enough jackass.. I drove home smiling from ear to ear. parking in the garage walk around the car and i hear a slight tap tap tap noise. I further investigated and today i tore the heads off to see the lifters 90% sure that is what it was, they all look good... Chances of a spun main bearing? Probably high, is there a way to inspect lifters that visually look fine? Before I pull this motor out i want to be absolutely sure I am not looking past something, oil pressure was normal 38 psi @ idle 60+ past 3.5k or so.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I doubt you spun a bearing with good oil pressure and only 11psi at the manifold.

Have you upgraded the rocker trunions? Now may be a good time.

Did you upgrade the lifters to at least LS7 lifters? Now may be a good time.

Heavy duty valve springs and pushrods, along with upgraded lifters and rocker trunions are all pretty much necessary for boost.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Welcome to the forums.

I doubt you spun a bearing with good oil pressure and only 11psi at the manifold.

Have you upgraded the rocker trunions? Now may be a good time.

Did you upgrade the lifters to at least LS7 lifters? Now may be a good time.

Heavy duty valve springs and pushrods, along with upgraded lifters and rocker trunions are all pretty much necessary for boost.
I have ls7 lifters in the mail as well as ls9 head gaskets, and arp studs. I have done the trunion upgrade. i have pac dual springs, comp hardened 7.4 pushrods that came with the g5x3 cam kit. Just really worried i didnt see anything noticeable with the lifters hah.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Cut the filter open, and see if your lifters, or other important items are there........
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had plenty of vehicles where slight exhaust leak sounded exactly like a lifter tap. Have you checked your whole hot side?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Checked it all with a fine tooth. Used a stethoscope and looked for where the noise was coming from it was loud towards the front about mid engine. Not knowing who built it has me worried a bit. Voided the warranty now haha. Looks like I need to pull the motor.

Quick Reply: 05 cts v turbo. Long story...