Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low oil pressure and aerated oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure and aerated oil

I am having an issue with low oil pressure, and air in the oil. The oil pressure is around 10psi at idle, possibly lower. This is tested with a manual pressure gauge at the pressure sending unit port. After running for less than 30 seconds, there is a large number of air bubbles on the dipstick.

This is a new motor build, with probably 250 miles on it. Bearing tolerance is stock, and oil pressure was good for the those miles. Bearings are all new, and I am running a melling 10295 oil pump. The build is a rebuilt stock bottom end, save for arp rodbolts(resized) with stock 799 heads, and a torquer v4 cam.

I have tried replacing the oil pump with a new 10295, and the pickup tube with a brand new GM one. I am 100% confident the o ring is not damaged, as it has done this with 3 separate o rings. I have cut open the oilfilter used, and there was no excessive bearing material. This issue remains with two different oil filters.

I am out of ideas, the air in the oil had me thinking that the issue was with the oilpump, or somewhere before it, but everything there has been replaced and the issue remains the same. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the oil pressure do when rpm rises? Does it stay within spec?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jermzz
What's the oil pressure do when rpm rises? Does it stay within spec?
The oil pressure raised to about 15-20 at 2-2500rpm cold on the manual gauge. And raised to a high of maybe 30 at 4-4500 when I was driving and first experienced the issue.

The oil pressure prior was about around 40 for a warm idle and would rise to 70+ and obviously there was no air bubbles in the oil.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Bit of a long shot on this one, but it could be your oil pan gasket. There is high pressure oil going through your oil pan gasket to get to and from the filter. If that gasket blows, it'll either vent outside and squirt the headers (like mine did) or inside and just refill the oil pan. Anywhere oil gets out, air gets in.

My oil pressure increased from 25 warm idle to almost 40 warm idle after oil pan gasket replacement.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Bit of a long shot on this one, but it could be your oil pan gasket. There is high pressure oil going through your oil pan gasket to get to and from the filter. If that gasket blows, it'll either vent outside and squirt the headers (like mine did) or inside and just refill the oil pan. Anywhere oil gets out, air gets in.

My oil pressure increased from 25 warm idle to almost 40 warm idle after oil pan gasket replacement.

That is possible, but not too likely. The gasket was new, and then the pan was off to change the pickup, and I didnt notice any damage the gasket. Something I can check though.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by pferris
That is possible, but not too likely. The gasket was new, and then the pan was off to change the pickup, and I didnt notice any damage the gasket. Something I can check though.
Yeah, it's a long shot for sure. but sort of like looking for your keys. once the usual stuff checks out, you start checking weird places.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it's a long shot for sure. but sort of like looking for your keys. once the usual stuff checks out, you start checking weird places.
Yeah, I agree. I'm probably going to pull the motor this week, but my idiotic self separated my shoulder last week mountain biking, so I'm trying to get a good idea before tearing it completely apart because working on it requires calling friends. Hahaha
Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a crack in the pickup tube.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taxman20
You might have a crack in the pickup tube.
My thought until I replaced it and the issue continued
Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Did you reuse the old cam retainer plate?
Old 06-07-2016, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

In for info
Old 06-07-2016, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dave04da
Did you reuse the old cam retainer plate?
No I did not, and all other gaskets in the motor were replaced with the rebuild as well. And a failure of that seems unlikely as it made it ~250 miles.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Double check the front oil gallery plug and the little oil barbell.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

air bubbles should mean that there's a leak of some kind on the suction side. pickup seal, pump oring, pan gasket near the pickup tube, etc
Old 06-08-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmington
air bubbles should mean that there's a leak of some kind on the suction side. pickup seal, pump oring, pan gasket near the pickup tube, etc
Thats why I mentioned the pickup tube. It should be on the suction side. Only way to get it to aerate on the pressure side would be at a high pressure location like the pan gasket near the oil filter. So it has to be a hard spray. It might even be an issue with the oil pump itself. Could be cracked in the housing.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Thats why I mentioned the pickup tube. It should be on the suction side. Only way to get it to aerate on the pressure side would be at a high pressure location like the pan gasket near the oil filter. So it has to be a hard spray. It might even be an issue with the oil pump itself. Could be cracked in the housing.
That is exactly my thoughts, but there is a brand new oil pump, brand new pickup tube, and brand new o ring. The oil pan gasket remains the same though. The issue has not changed after having it apart to replace the parts, and reassembling.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sucking air somewhere. If the O-ring, pick up tube, and pump are OK, look at the gasket to block surface. Also, check the pick up to pan clearance - should be about 3/8".
Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same symptoms when a cam bearing walked out of the journal.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by pferris
That is exactly my thoughts, but there is a brand new oil pump, brand new pickup tube, and brand new o ring. The oil pan gasket remains the same though. The issue has not changed after having it apart to replace the parts, and reassembling.
I'm gonna share one of my screw ups. I dropped the oil pan about an inch off the block to reseat that stupid o-ring. Then I wasn't able to get the gasket off. I had thought I'd be able to slide it around the pick up, but never expected someone would rivet the damn thing to the pan. At the time still had the stock K member also, which really made working in there terrible. So I replaced the o-ring, put the pan back on with the original gasket, which had completely flattened out and had cracked right where the oil feeds and returns for the oil filter, so I had the exact same symptoms as I had before.

Then, when I swapped to a tubular K I went ahead and dropped the pan and replaced the gasket, which actually fixed the problem.

If the oil pan gasket doesn't fix it, the pump housing could well be cracked.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

I'm gonna share one of my screw ups. I dropped the oil pan about an inch off the block to reseat that stupid o-ring. Then I wasn't able to get the gasket off. I had thought I'd be able to slide it around the pick up, but never expected someone would rivet the damn thing to the pan. At the time still had the stock K member also, which really made working in there terrible. So I replaced the o-ring, put the pan back on with the original gasket, which had completely flattened out and had cracked right where the oil feeds and returns for the oil filter, so I had the exact same symptoms as I had before.

Then, when I swapped to a tubular K I went ahead and dropped the pan and replaced the gasket, which actually fixed the problem.

If the oil pan gasket doesn't fix it, the pump housing could well be cracked.
Well, As I am confident that the oil pump is fine(As it has had one that looked fine replaced with a brand new one) The pickup tube is fine, and confident the o ring is not pinched, it must be the the pan gasket then. Hmmm I wish I looked at it while changing the pickup tube, but it didnt cross my mind.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure and aerated oil