Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single beehive 9/18s

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 467 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's why i like the 1511....keeps the lifters from goin wonky while maintaining valve control.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
My problem was CREATED by CompCams "behive" springs and cam at Westech, a bench Dyno test.
My ECU-882C, my coils, turbo LS, Comp Valve Train, Comp "turbo" cam. (free)

The Spring broke in minutes, cam made no power BEFORE the spring cracked.

I called Carl Wegner, he stated "I have never broke a "behive" PSI 1511ML spring in ANY of the GNW engines we sell, they are required items."

The camshaft was replaced by a stock GM ZO-6 item.
The PSI-1511ML's where installed

The engine now ran fine, we made 1200+ HP@22 PSI.

Another item I will NEVER understand, why most install a TI Retainer on an exhaust valve when the weight, with a steel retainer, is still less than the intake with a Ti Retainer.

Lance
What cam specs/lobes? Which Comp "beehive" spring?
Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 274 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Mercier
Finally got off my butt to weigh some BTR parts. This is the BTR "Platinum" .660" lift kit (SK001) with titanium retainers. The locks are not titanium in this kit but steel(or some ferrous material but close enough)

BTR dual spring: 94g
Retainer: 9g
Locks: 3g

So the BTR duals weigh less than a 918 single?! No wonder we've been eating up the marketing of duals having no disadvantage(weight/power/RPM) compared to singles.
Yes, but they are 26 grams more than the PSI 1511.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Yes, but they are 26 grams more than the PSI 1511.
Right. I thought I made that point earlier in the thread.

What I was trying to indicate is that the magazine article comparing the singles which I am pretty sure are Comp 918s that must be made of lead to duals that weigh almost the same was a complete waste of time because we knew the extra spring weight would cost power over stock and if the duals weren't much heavier, wouldn't be much of a further detriment.

Put another way: the guys in that magazine article did the LS community a disservice by even publishing that because if they had used the LS1511 or anything lightweight like it, it would have likely gained on the stockers and the duals, and then we wouldn't have had the blanket decree that duals don't cost any power over beehives. This is only correct when comparing against crappy beehives, I think.

And in the case that something like the 1511s weren't available to them, at least the conclusion should not have been indicated so broadly IMO.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I thought BTR spintron tested his duals against a popular beehive and came up with the same results? Or is this the test you are referencing?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I thought BTR spintron tested his duals against a popular beehive and came up with the same results? Or is this the test you are referencing?
Not sure that was "public." Was it? I'd like to read. Again, BTR springs are great when they are needed by the cam. The point of our convo, I think, is to discuss the potential of more power with a light beehive when a dual is not necessary.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Not sure that was "public." Was it? I'd like to read. Again, BTR springs are great when they are needed by the cam. The point of our convo, I think, is to discuss the potential of more power with a light beehive when a dual is not necessary.
I am not sure, I just remember Brian mention it in a few posts. Might be worth a call to Brian and pick his brain about it.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Sure. I have to grab some parts soon and will use that as an excuse to chat him up. I suspect that the full results are considered proprietary intellectual property and I would treat it the same if I spent the dollars and developed a product around it.

Bottom line, I need to win the damn Powerball and buy a few dynos. Until then we can hope that the mags will update their tests with modern components.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 274 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Right. I thought I made that point earlier in the thread.

What I was trying to indicate is that the magazine article comparing the singles which I am pretty sure are Comp 918s that must be made of lead to duals that weigh almost the same was a complete waste of time because we knew the extra spring weight would cost power over stock and if the duals weren't much heavier, wouldn't be much of a further detriment.

Put another way: the guys in that magazine article did the LS community a disservice by even publishing that because if they had used the LS1511 or anything lightweight like it, it would have likely gained on the stockers and the duals, and then we wouldn't have had the blanket decree that duals don't cost any power over beehives. This is only correct when comparing against crappy beehives, I think.

And in the case that something like the 1511s weren't available to them, at least the conclusion should not have been indicated so broadly IMO.
Got ya.

Yeah, they used Comp 918s in that test. It is somewhat surprising since I'm sure we all remember the Great 918 Debacle that catapulted the dual spring movement and left a lot of sour tastes in people's mouths. You'd think they would have used a PSI or PAC beehive instead.

Quick Reply: Single beehive 9/18s