Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil usage ah hah moment!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default oil usage ah hah moment!

Hi, just felt like sharing, I had an "ah-hah!" Moment. I built an 6.0 a few years ago, and it now has about 2k miles on it. It has always used a good bit of oil, and I have been trying to figure out from where. I started with a new thompson motorsports short block, then I topped it off with new tsp stage 1 ls6 heads. I tried changing valve seals. I changed the valve cover pcv for an ls6 style lifter Valley cover pcv system with a catch can. Which did help a lot. But I still consistently used oil.

But then I stumbled across a thread about rocker arm bolts and thread sealant, and I realized I didn't use any. I only used a small dab of blue loctite. I think that might be my issue, I can't wait to open up my engine and see.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

So my intake rocker stud/bolt holes are coated with oil. And I need to clean them before I try and seal them up with with Teflon permatex. Whats a good way to clean them without dumping solvent down into the combustion chamber?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting you mention this. My TMS 6.0 uses a decent amount of oil as well. How much in your case?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Interesting you mention this. My TMS 6.0 uses a decent amount of oil as well. How much in your case?
Im using a quart every 500 miles or so, how about you?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

About a quart every 1500
Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Pretty sure the rocker pedestals aren't fed any oil. So putting sealant on your rocker bolts doesn’t seal anything. Probably nothing to do with your high oil consumption…

Did you use a good break in oil? What break in procedure did you use? Sounds like the piston rings didn’t seat well.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Pretty sure the rocker pedestals aren't fed any oil. So putting sealant on your rocker bolts doesn’t seal anything. Probably nothing to do with your high oil consumption…

Did you use a good break in oil? What break in procedure did you use? Sounds like the piston rings didn’t seat well.

The intake is almost always under vacuum so its sucking any oil past the threads.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

The bolt hole for the rockers are dead-holes. There's no where for the oil to go. I'm gonna say it was more than likely your valve cover/PCV issue. That's why there's a TSB on oil consumption and valve cover replacement and some with the addition of an oil deflector in the oilpan.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
The bolt hole for the rockers are dead-holes. There's no where for the oil to go. I'm gonna say it was more than likely your valve cover/PCV issue. That's why there's a TSB on oil consumption and valve cover replacement and some with the addition of an oil deflector in the oilpan.
Once the head is ported, it opens the holes up. It sucks the valve train oil into the intake runner.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

I agree, the stock heads use blind rocker stud holes. But my heads were ported by Texas speed, and the porting exposes the threads for the rocker studs. As a side note, my intake rocker bolts were covered with oil when I pulled them out.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Interesting thread. I didn't even think about anything other than blue loctite when I installed ported 317's, but then I wondered when I saw that the porting exposed the bolt holes. I suppose now I know not to expect loctite to seal them. This leads to the question of what sealant to use that would seal and do the loctite's job as well?
Old 08-05-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gametech
Interesting thread. I didn't even think about anything other than blue loctite when I installed ported 317's, but then I wondered when I saw that the porting exposed the bolt holes. I suppose now I know not to expect loctite to seal them. This leads to the question of what sealant to use that would seal and do the loctite's job as well?
It seems like most people recommend permatex thread sealer with ptfe.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Locktite works just fine and many use it. Permatex works just as well but it can be messier and needs to be used sparingly.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

242 or 243 loctite would do well
Old 08-05-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this mistake with my prc heads years ago. Use permatex thread sealant sparingly.

I always have a box of kutips and use brake clean in the end of them until the kutips come out clean. Be very careful that you don't get the fibers stuck in the threads. It takes time but it works every time.

My motor uses oil and the intake is always soaked. I have tried and owned all the pcv ideas and they all are worthless. Pcv is coming off, lots of plugs and running a breather catch can now
Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Have any of you changed pistons/rods? many of the rebuilds that go to a longer rod will result in the CH of the piston changing which pushes the pin higher up in the piston. This will make the cut out of the pin get into the oil control ring land. This is why almost every 415/421 builds and stroked LS1 build use alot of oil.

The best way to control the splash and oil usage is a crank scraper. But as long as the pin is still in the oil control ring land, you'll continue to burn oil.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how much more oil was in the intake and heads, at least equal. Either way it was a lot for my 346 and now 408. I plan on adding a crank scraper when I turn the car into a turbo car in the next few years. Still going to eliminate the pcv, this oil is insane
Old 08-10-2016, 09:15 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not if they've been ported... My AFR heads had them exposed as well.

DO NOT use the ARP thread sealant. For whatever reason the oil ate past it. I only use RTV Ultra Black now.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting thread...wonder if me not using thread sealer on my rocker bolts on my new PRC225 heads was reason i was having knock issues on the dyno
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
DO NOT use the ARP thread sealant.
I agree. ARP thread "sealant" has PTFE which is a semi-liquid and can wash out.

Permatex High Tack. Stays where you put it for decades. Impervious to fuels, lubricants, coolants and heat cycles. Use it on bolts that go into coolant or oil passages. Super sticky. Annoying even. But nothing gets past it or washes it out.

Quick Reply: oil usage ah hah moment!