Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have PTV figures for Streetsweeper HT cam and 243 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Anyone have PTV figures for Streetsweeper HT cam and 243 heads?

Searched around and couldn't find anything. In a few months I will be installing the SSHT cam in my C5Z. I have some .040 cometic head gaskets I would like to use to get the quench at a more optimal level and bump the compression a tad over the stock .054 head gaskets. If PTV clearance is adequate, ideally I'd also like to mill the heads a hair (maybe .006" or so) to get compression around 11:1ish. I believe in doing things right so I will be degreeing the cam and checking for PTV clearance etc., I'm more or less just trying to get a feel for things ahead of time. If you happen to have PTV figures for the SSHT cam and 243 heads please post up, thanks.

Streetsweeper HT - 228/232 .612/.600 111 LSA 108 ICL
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

i'd call up ed curtis at flowtech and ask him. since he designed the cam and all, he might have insight...
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
i'd call up ed curtis at flowtech and ask him. since he designed the cam and all, he might have insight...
That was the first thing I did. Sent him an email and was told to measure to confirm and that the cam has adequate PTV with unmilled heads etc. etc. so I didn't get too far.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you measured to see exactly how far your pistons come out of the hole before? Not everyone can safely run a .040" gasket. I believe .030" is the lowest piston to head clearance recommended. That only leaves you .010" of wiggle room with a .040" gasket. In some cases you're fine running a .040" gasket with a piston that only comes out of the hole .006-.007". But if you don't measure, and you have a piston that comes .010" + out of the hole, you're asking for trouble. So long story short...... Just because one guy can get away with it, doesn't mean everyone can get away with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
That was the first thing I did. Sent him an email and was told to measure to confirm and that the cam has adequate PTV with unmilled heads etc. etc. so I didn't get too far.
Maybe this will help, maybe it won't. I'm running a 237/245 solid roller cam, and i did not have to flycut. Now, to be fair, my heads have raised ports, so there's more clearance. That said, your cam is quite a bit smaller, so it whould be fine
Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've googled this so many times in preparation for this swap (in the middle of changing my torque tube since my original one is done for) and I'm at the point where I want to sell my TEA LS6 heads and either go AI high compression heads or order PRC 225's and and run a .40 gasket with the stock 62cc chambers and have plenty of PTV and an aftermarket casting. I have the same cam as well.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Searched around and couldn't find anything. In a few months I will be installing the SSHT cam in my C5Z. I have some .040 cometic head gaskets I would like to use to get the quench at a more optimal level and bump the compression a tad over the stock .054 head gaskets. If PTV clearance is adequate, ideally I'd also like to mill the heads a hair (maybe .006" or so) to get compression around 11:1ish. I believe in doing things right so I will be degreeing the cam and checking for PTV clearance etc., I'm more or less just trying to get a feel for things ahead of time. If you happen to have PTV figures for the SSHT cam and 243 heads please post up, thanks.

Streetsweeper HT - 228/232 .612/.600 111 LSA 108 ICL
A camshaft with the specs 228/232 on 111+3 would have these valve events:

IVO 6
IVC 42
EVO 50
EVC 2

With those valve events, you should be able to mill up to .020" off of the heads and still have acceptable piston-to-valve clearance. Or, you could run a .010" thinner head gasket and still mill up to .010". With that said, you should always check the final piston-to-valve clearance before starting the engine. As you know, if it goes wrong, you are the one paying the bill.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
A camshaft with the specs 228/232 on 111+3 would have these valve events:

IVO 6
IVC 42
EVO 50
EVC 2

With those valve events, you should be able to mill up to .020" off of the heads and still have acceptable piston-to-valve clearance. Or, you could run a .010" thinner head gasket and still mill up to .010". With that said, you should always check the final piston-to-valve clearance before starting the engine. As you know, if it goes wrong, you are the one paying the bill.
You're right on the money with those valve events, they match the cam card. Very good info you provided, I appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will absolutely measure how far the pistons are out the hole, PTV with the stock gaskets, etc. etc. as the last thing I want to do is grenade the motor over not doing my due diligence ahead of time.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing this one back from the grave... I am about to start the same install and interested in what the PTV clearance was for the SSHT cam and stock LS6 243 heads. I will be checking mine but this is good baseline information. Thanks Stealth!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brownrd
Bringing this one back from the grave... I am about to start the same install and interested in what the PTV clearance was for the SSHT cam and stock LS6 243 heads. I will be checking mine but this is good baseline information. Thanks Stealth!
Responded to your PM. Figured I’d post up here for any future readers with the same question. I don’t recall what the PTV figures were but they were fine with my factory 243 heads, .040 gaskets and SSHT cam in my LS6. I’ve had the motor up just under 7000rpm on the dyno without any issues. If a cam was ground wrong or installed improperly etc then I can’t guarantee adequate PTV so always good to check. You will love the new combo, will really transform your car!

Quick Reply: Anyone have PTV figures for Streetsweeper HT cam and 243 heads?