Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

421 stroker 243/799 or 317 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On oil I run the Shell Rotella truck oil in all my vehicles except the wifes Honda. Its inexpensive and supposed to have good wear additives. They make a synthetic, a blend and regular.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I'm hi jacking your thread Coal bucket. What type of exhaust are you running? I'm just running shorty headers. My take on the head upgrades and other parts is that I'm still exhaust limited with the 4x4. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Teching In

My old headers are 1-5/8" primary Gibson shorties. I'm picking up a set of Pacesetter 1-7/8 primary longtubes for my 2500HD. I had a hard time the when I first put the bottom end together in 2010 finding long tubes to fit my HD frame other than American Racing and they're about 1k. Texas Speed said I should pick up least 20hp/TQ with those longtubes.

Exhaust is 3" duals with custom X pipe and Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. No cats and no EGR. Sounded good before and should sound and flow great with the new set up.

I've been wondering about getting trans work done. I've been trying to find a way to put a 6L80E or 90 whichever the new HD trans is in my 2002. I can change the crank and get the 58 tooth reluctor wheel but trying to get it to work with my pcm is the issue unless I go with a stand alone but would have to run one for the engine too plus the stock pcm. Unless I have it all wrong..lol. and the Allison is just really heavy and takes 50hp I think. But would love a 6spd auto for towing. Current plan is to run the pressures up some outside of tow/haul mode and keep it cool.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Teching In

I've seen on here some guys like running 20W-50 in their builds. I like Shell Rotella, as my profession is basically driving truck and have done some wrenching on them along with tech school for heavy diesels. I was wondering about a 15w-40 synthetic to use in it but didn't know if the additives for a diesel were different from gas and the pros and cons if there were any.

Last edited by Coalbucket; 02-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Also I'll be running a Melling 10295 high pressure oil pump. I think the issue before was I kept the stock pump.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Teching In

And I know this is the internal engine section but could I get some input on injector size and if the stock pump will work? Replacing the pump anyhow so upgrading would be ideal just don't know anything about them. Was going to order Holly 42lb/hr injectors. Should I go larger? Guessing hp would be around 550. Just a shot in the dark on that really.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TEA offers a port program for 243/799 heads that have larger valves for bigger cubic inch motors. You may want to check them out, as well as Advanced Induction.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your exhaust set up rocks compared to mine. We put ported BBK 13/4" shorties and the factory pipes going into a magna flow muff. Thinking about putting cut outs at the factory pipe joints past the cats.

I'm having trouble finding an injector convertor harness for the truck harness to fast 46 lb injectors.

On the fuel pump I replaced the whole assy. with a new Walboro factory rated pump. You will have to buy on for an F-body and put it in the factory bucket. I didn't want to mess with it.

I felt the same way with the long tube headers. I didn't want the problems and the cost with custom pipes, and deleting the cats. The factory exhaust is true dual 3" pipes into a single muff. then dual exits.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't know much about Yank converters but I went with a Circle D on my 2000 5.3 Silverado. Stalls at about 3,100-3,200 when you get on it, drives near stock when you're not on it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I couldn't find injector harness adapters either the first time around so I picked up pigtails for my EV1 injectors cut off the factory connectors and spliced those in.

The Pacesetter 1-7/8 LT I found are close to $400. Way better than 1k.

I looked at circle D too and their advertised stall is 3000. The yank is 3200 and from what I've read they're both top quality converters.

I'll check out TEA for ported 243's and see what they offer. I'm pretty sold on Tony Mamo's 235's though but haven't ordered them yet.

Turns out I need new pistons too. The Scat auto techs that were in it are scored pretty bad on the skirts. Thinking about wiseco coated skirt pistons.. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Coalbucket
I couldn't find injector harness adapters either the first time around so I picked up pigtails for my EV1 injectors cut off the factory connectors and spliced those in.

The Pacesetter 1-7/8 LT I found are close to $400. Way better than 1k.

I looked at circle D too and their advertised stall is 3000. The yank is 3200 and from what I've read they're both top quality converters.

I'll check out TEA for ported 243's and see what they offer. I'm pretty sold on Tony Mamo's 235's though but haven't ordered them yet.

Turns out I need new pistons too. The Scat auto techs that were in it are scored pretty bad on the skirts. Thinking about wiseco coated skirt pistons.. Any suggestions?
A ported OEM casting on a 421 is a big mistake. Just wont support the type of cubes your running I dont care who ports them. I suspect you already know this already though....I say it more for the other folks reading this.

Guys, don't invest big money in a shortblock and drop the ball in the decisions that count the most regarding its ability to breathe and make power. I have seen this scenario play out many times on this board.....guys invest money in a stroker shortblock and think the big cubes is all that's required to make power so they skimp out on the heads or perhaps the funds dry up some and they are forced to get cheaper heads not really up to the task at hand. Its very flawed thinking as bigger motors have a much larger appetite and they NEED a premium high flowing head even more or they tend to fall on their face early and don't carry up top very well (not a fun motor to drive aggressively).

Truth is if your working with a limited budget money is better placed in a premium aftermarket set of heads and better induction than it is in the shortblock with weaker heads. You would make more power with the stock cubes and a really optimized top end than a stroker with OEM ported castings.

Anyway.....regarding pistons hit me up on the Wiseco's....I like them and use them in most of my builds. I can get you a sweet deal on a set with coated skirts and a nice trick ring package as well all pin fit and ready to be installed. Shoot me an email or a phone call and we can discuss it in more detail.

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-18-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Dart makes a 250cc cathedral head that might work on that engine.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
A ported OEM casting on a 421 is a big mistake. Just wont support the type of cubes your running I dont care who ports them. I suspect you already know this already though....I say it more for the other folks reading this.

Guys, don't invest big money in a shortblock and drop the ball in the decisions that count the most regarding its ability to breathe and make power. I have seen this scenario play out many times on this board.....guys invest money in a stroker shortblock and think the big cubes is all that's required to make power so they skimp out on the heads or perhaps the funds dry up some and they are forced to get cheaper heads not really up to the task at hand. Its very flawed thinking as bigger motors have a much larger appetite and they NEED a premium high flowing head even more or they tend to fall on their face early and don't carry up top very well (not a fun motor to drive aggressively).

Truth is if your working with a limited budget money is better placed in a premium aftermarket set of heads and better induction than it is in the shortblock with weaker heads. You would make more power with the stock cubes and a really optimized top end than a stroker with OEM ported castings.

Anyway.....regarding pistons hit me up on the Wiseco's....I like them and use them in most of my builds. I can get you a sweet deal on a set with coated skirts and a nice trick ring package as well all pin fit and ready to be installed. Shoot me an email or a phone call and we can discuss it in more detail.

Cheers,
Tony
I was going to type up a similar post, but now no need.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Teching In

That was my next step with the pistons and rings was to discuss/order them with Tony Mamo this Thursday when I call to order a set of his ported 235 heads. Trying not to choke this engine down again.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Coalbucket
I've seen on here some guys like running 20W-50 in their builds. I like Shell Rotella, as my profession is basically driving truck and have done some wrenching on them along with tech school for heavy diesels. I was wondering about a 15w-40 synthetic to use in it but didn't know if the additives for a diesel were different from gas and the pros and cons if there were any.
Just about any diesel oil is fine in a gas engine, They usually have a good anti wear properties. The reason everyone ran Rotella in the past was the amount of ZDDP added, That's no longer true because they have been required to reduce the amount of ZDDP but it's still high quality oil and a very good price.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Is the truck lifted? Does it have big *** heavy wheels and tires on it?

If so, almost all of the advice you got in the thread you can throw away. You'd need power to come on like a diesel and 4.56 gears. Going with a large aftermarket cylinder head is not going to build power at 1200RPM...
Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

A 235 cc intake runner is not a big massive head on a 421 imo. A 421 is gonna build great torques on its own. Main thing is going to be smart camshaft selection.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
A 235 cc intake runner is not a big massive head on a 421 imo. A 421 is gonna build great torques on its own. Main thing is going to be smart camshaft selection.
THIS ^^^^^

A 235 is a modest sized head on an engine this large....in fact a larger argument could be made its too small for a typical hot rod build. More importantly it has a ton of airspeed and that should be the focus more so than its physical size. A 215 cc head that flowed 25 CFM less would have less airspeed than the 235 head that flows alot more and the smaller head would simply make less power and less torque at every RPM.

An efficient 235 head on a 421 with the right valve events (cam profile) and it will pull at any RPM you want it to based on the cam design. If you cam it for big power right off idle it will deliver that and flatten out at 5500-6000...you can put the power any where you want it with this combo....the heads are perfect.....nail the cam events and you will have a really fun vehicle to drive that makes more power than it ought to on paper.

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

235 CCs is 25 CCs smaller than the factory rectangle,
about 9% smaller. The 4.1" stroke is more than 13%
longer than the stock stroke the combination provides
Phenominal air speed combined with a FAST LSXRT
(MAMOFIED even better) 11.5:1 Comp and attention
To detail could make ~600 lb ft ~ 4800 RPM,
500 lb ft ~ 3000 RPM and still make ~ 640 FWHP
~5800-6000 RPM. These are Flywheel estimates
On Dyno with 421" with a cam ~ 232*/235* 112*+3*
.620"/.590". Estimates based on results from
Jeremy's 416" with AFR 230s with 243/247 and FAST 102.
MMS 235s are the ideal head for the OPs Build & Goals.
Not....JMO.

Last edited by NAVYBLUE210; 02-19-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

My dad's 08 2500 HD has 823 heads on it from the factory. IMO, that's either too much port volume or not enough cam because it's kind of a dog at low rpm. Once it hits 3000 it starts to pull hard.

Contrarian viewpoint...Hot Rod(IIRC) did a cathedral vs rectangular shootout on a large engine and found down low the cathedral heads were stronger and gave up very little up top.

Quick Reply: 421 stroker 243/799 or 317 heads?