Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRD 230/236 .620/.603 112+2, AI 226cc 243's, .040 cometics- RESULTS IN! Page 3!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SRD 230/236 .620/.603 112+2, AI 226cc 243's, .040 cometics- RESULTS IN! Page 3!

Got everything running right now with a base tune! Here are 2 videos i uploaded this weekend. I love how it sounds and can't wait to see what it will do! Cam motion core spec by Martin Smallwood!

Primed the oil pump with the starter and the machine shop used permatex ultra lube on everything.. start up was perfect with no chatter and instant oil pressure. I am actually surprised how quiet the valvetrain is considering the lift.. Had it idling pretty smooth around 850 rpm

Just need to install my vikings, racetronix pump and hot wire kit, then its off for final tuning! Unfortunately, the dyno it is going to is a mustang dyno and sounds like it may be all over the place, but we shall see! I'm hoping to get some track numbers in May to see what it traps.

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 04-20-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

That is a seriously awesome looking cam spec. I bet it runs like a bat out of hell.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That is a seriously awesome looking cam spec. I bet it runs like a bat out of hell.
Thanks! I think Martin pointed me in the right direction for sure. I'm excited to see what the power band looks like on the dyno and see how it does at the track. I'm shooting for 11.50's, as long as i don't snap my 10 bolt lol.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds nice. What muffler's are you running?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fantastic. AI 226 user here as well. Can I ask...did you decide to mill those heads?. If so, how much did you take off?. Stock bottom end?. I have a feeling you might have posted this info in another thread. Cant fully remember. Sorry if your repeating yourself lol. I am currently looking into a new grind myself. Something to better utilize these heads than my existing cam. Great job too by the way, your car should rip.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice cam profile. Cam Motion core?

With 9 degrees of overlap and the Cam Motion lobes, that should be a pretty nice driving car. And with the AI 226s, a 6-8 degree split is pretty ideal.

Should make 450rwhp locked with the FAST 92 and the 1-7/8" Headers.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black sky
Sounds fantastic. AI 226 user here as well. Can I ask...did you decide to mill those heads?. If so, how much did you take off?. Stock bottom end?. I have a feeling you might have posted this info in another thread. Cant fully remember. Sorry if your repeating yourself lol. I am currently looking into a new grind myself. Something to better utilize these heads than my existing cam. Great job too by the way, your car should rip.
No problem asking! Thats what the forums are for.

I bought them used, but from what AI told me and what was checked in a DIY method they are right around 63.5-64cc which tells me .005-.007 just for clean up. I didn't mill them any further because i could just run the .040 gaskets and increase my compression to 10.9-11 to 1 and tighten my quench at the same time. That is what Martin recommended so i rolled with it. It is a stock bottom end other than upgraded ARP rod bolts. If you are looking to throw a bigger cam in you could always get to the 228-232 intake range and bump your converter to a 3600-4000 and i bet it would have some great track gains. Update- Just saw you are already at the 440 RWHP with a small cam, which is real impressive. Depending on your goals, im sure Martin or AI could point you in the right direction.. i recommend the cam motion core either way, it was spot on.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion

With 9 degrees of overlap and the Cam Motion lobes, that should be a pretty nice driving car. And with the AI 226s, a 6-8 degree split is pretty ideal.

Thats exactly the goal i was shooting for! I did the fast 92 to keep cost down, but hoping that will help get me to that mark. I haven't driven it much yet, but so far i can see it being pretty stable for a middle of the road cam. Glad i didn't get a monster cam, I think this cam will match perfect with my goals.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Sounds nice. What muffler's are you running?
Believe it or not, it's a SLP LM2 catback lol.. It sounds good so far, prevoius owner installed it so i have been just rolling with it to save money.. Obnoxious, but I actually don't mind it.. sounds insane at WOT

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 04-28-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great can't wait for dyno numbers and track times!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my convertor is a soft spot with chosing a bigger cam also. I was planning to upgrade the trans to an FLT and increase the stall when it konks out. The 2800 came with the vehicle when I bought it and just rolled with it for now. Im an fan of cam motion myself and will Def be on their core. The 440 hp dyno run seems impressive but I feel it's a tad skewed. Happy dyno jet syndrome. My Butt dyno could be off, but it feels a little less. AI was helpful with me as well. Good choice.. Well good luck. Your build looks great so far.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds great!
Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great to here your finished with the build! Sounds pretty Lethal bro!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

AI 226cc guy here. You will love them. You have a better cam than me. My best trap this year with a lazy 2 3 shift is 124 and 10.92 et with stock wheels and sway bar hooked up. Good luck and kick ***
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds great! Thanks for the business and the kind words!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Congrats! Love it! Glad all is well. Right pushrods should be in this week and I'll be able to start driving her finally. Gotta get miles and oil changed. April 11 is dyno. Hopin my car sounds decently like this after right push rods. Congrats again
Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion

I've been reading this more and more and have been looking at enough dyno sheets to make my head explode, but it really does seem to prove itself over and over again. It has me wanting to change over to a grind similar to this, will probably shoot Martin an email.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
AI 226cc guy here. You will love them. You have a better cam than me. My best trap this year with a lazy 2 3 shift is 124 and 10.92 et with stock wheels and sway bar hooked up. Good luck and kick ***
Damn those are some real good times! What kind of cam are you running? I would love if I hit anything over 120mph. The AI 226 heads seem to really put down some numbers and great times. I have seen nothing but great results from my searching.

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Sounds great! Thanks for the business and the kind words!
Thank you Martin! Awesome spec and i think it is going to be exactly what I was looking for. I will be sure to highly recommend your expertise to others.

Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ
Congrats! Love it! Glad all is well. Right pushrods should be in this week and I'll be able to start driving her finally. Gotta get miles and oil changed. April 11 is dyno. Hopin my car sounds decently like this after right push rods. Congrats again
I think yours will sound identical.. pretty similar build, we will have to compare trap speeds when the time comes to see how the TMS heads do.. i almost went that route and ended up finding a deal on my AI's.. if those TMS heads perform they may be the next best bang for the buck! Hopefully our comparisons will give everyone a good idea, i have a feeling they are going to be pretty damn close.

Thanks to everyone for all of the comments! I'd be lying if i said i didn't go start it last night just to listen to it for 5 minutes lol There was no other purpose behind starting it.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Thanks to everyone for all of the comments! I'd be lying if i said i didn't go start it last night just to listen to it for 5 minutes lol There was no other purpose behind starting it.
I'm really interested to see your results. not so much the dyno, but I'm sure that'll be great. More how it drives on the street. it seems to me this build is going to be a very good balance of street and track performance. Much bigger on the cam, and you start fighting it. Much smaller and you're leaving power on the table.

And you can always call it "Heat cycling"...LOL
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Good choice on the heads and cam selection. I'm go say Advanced Induction and Total Engine Airflow has the two meanest program for a factory casting head.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I'm really interested to see your results. not so much the dyno, but I'm sure that'll be great. More how it drives on the street. it seems to me this build is going to be a very good balance of street and track performance. Much bigger on the cam, and you start fighting it. Much smaller and you're leaving power on the table.

And you can always call it "Heat cycling"...LOL
LOL i like the "heat cycling" excuse. Thats exactly what i was looking for with this set up, i'm hoping for that perfect balance. I am hoping to have dyno numbers by mid to late April and some track numbers in May. I will be sure to update this thread with the results as i go.

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Good choice on the heads and cam selection. I'm go say Advanced Induction and Total Engine Airflow has the two meanest program for a factory casting head.
Thanks! I definitely agree both companies have the 243's figured out and their results show it.. People have had some serious gains from the heads alone.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Damn those are some real good times! What kind of cam are you running? I would love if I hit anything over 120mph. The AI 226 heads seem to really put down some numbers and great times. I have seen nothing but great results from my searching.

Thank you Martin! Awesome spec and i think it is going to be exactly what I was looking for. I will be sure to highly recommend your expertise to others.

I think yours will sound identical.. pretty similar build, we will have to compare trap speeds when the time comes to see how the TMS heads do.. i almost went that route and ended up finding a deal on my AI's.. if those TMS heads perform they may be the next best bang for the buck! Hopefully our comparisons will give everyone a good idea, i have a feeling they are going to be pretty damn close.

yeah for sure! i would be stoked to be within 10-15hp of yours due to your heads but then again nothing really known on TMS heads. Cant wait to see what it does. Cant wait to put it up against some known cars around here.

Quick Reply: SRD 230/236 .620/.603 112+2, AI 226cc 243's, .040 cometics- RESULTS IN! Page 3!