Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam install sealant question!! or overall advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/Cam install sealant question!! or overall advice

hey guys need some help with my first head/cam swap. I have all the parts I need lifter, injectors,oil pump, trunnions, gaskets,orings, retainer plate, bolts, timing chain, arp thread chasers, pulley puller, harmonic install tool, degree wheel, ls2 trays, etc.

BUT I'm having trouble figuring out what(which kind) and where to use either sealants, lube, anti seize, locktite, or arp lube. read a bunch and keep seeing different options??? read this thread and sounds like a lot of you guys are experienced, so I figured some of you guys could help!!!! and any tips would be very much appreciated!! nervous and excited !
Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Assembly lube on the cam, lifter rollers, pushrods ends, and rocker tips. You can put a thin film of assembly lube on the trunnions as well to help install them.

RTV Black Sealant on the corners of the front and rear covers where they meet the oil pan. I've done it without and with. And one way left a pool of oil on the ground.

Thread sealant on the rocker bolts (or Blue Loctite) - I've used both, both work.

Anti-seize on the header bolts.

ARP Lube on anything ARP or Blue or Red Loctite depending. Cam bolts I used Blue Loctite. And the cam plate I use Blue Loctite. Head bolts I used ARP lube and torque to spec. ARP crank bolt I've done both ARP Moly Lube and Red Loctite. Don't Red Loctite it.

On spark plugs I've always run dialetric grease on the ceramic portion. Helps when you remove the plug and insulates any arc from trying to find ground on the header.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really like the Redline assembly lube. There is no particulate and it dissolves instantly when the oil reaches it and washes out. A few more dollars but to me it is worth it.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I've had good success with the Joe Gibbs Driven assembly lube. Same sort of deal. It's messy as **** tho.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: Head/Cam install sealant question!! or overall advice