Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I build: "Toothless" w/MMS220's (Dyno results in!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

LOL! I greased the crank shaft lightly AND I heated the hub in the oven to about 250 to help it go on. Did you get that ARP bold torqued to 240? THAT was fun. I ended up getting a larger torque wrench and bench pressing it until it clicked.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I did 235, per ARP's instructions. My oven didn't go down to 250, so I lubed the crank snout and pressed it on.

Torquing it wasn't that bad actually. I had my roommate stand on the opposite end of the engine stand and kind of hold the motor in place. I did it in a few steps, (100, 150, 200, 235) but honestly, it felt like it took more effort to get the balancer on than it did torque the bolt lol.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Yeah I did stages too. I don't have a lift or anything so I had to make due.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another update!

So my push rods came in a couple of weeks ago, when I went to verify length I ran into an issue. I was getting more like a 3/4 turn of preload vs a half turn. This puzzled me greatly because as they were measured by my caliper, they were actually 2-4 thousandths shorter than what I had measured.

Turns out that the length checker I used (Comp 7702) has a different ball end than what Manton uses. This made actually made the pushrods longer since they sit in the lifter and rocker cups differently.

Fortunately it was an easy fix. Ordered a new set of shims that were .010 thicker (which I believe has the effect of increasing PR length by .016, which was just about perfect in terms of preload) and I got the proper preload. Darth, you might want to add something like this into your write-up.

This isn't really related to the motor, but I also received my high output Alt from Mechman. Here it is next to the factory alt for comparison.

Makes the factory alt look like a bitch lol

Spent a couple of hours cleaning up the factory wiring harness. Got all of the sensors installed and hooked up.

Here she is, basically complete!

Last edited by HappySalesman; 01-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got her fired up!

Youtube is giving me some issues, so for the moment, all I have is a link to my Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11T8...ew?usp=sharing

My cameraperson noticed a small coolant leak, so they killed the video early and told me.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a longer video up soon. Maybe even one of it driving!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 AM

Looks like it's running really smooth. Nice job! Good point about the ball ends. I didn't notice it happening on mine, but I'll definitely gonna k to the write up and make the note.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Small update.

No extra videos (beyond short idling clips, etc.). Dyno appt is set for the 17th, so I'll have actual numbers then.

The car is an absolute blast to drive. With just a basic mail-order tune it drives almost stock, and I can feel the extra grunt throughout the whole RPM range.

Had a small issue with the used meziere pump I had bought. That coolant leak on first start up ended up being the pump leaking between the two halves of the main body. Funny thing is, I ran the pump for a good long while before I had first started it to make sure everything was fine. Guess it just didn't like all the extra power? lol

Been running the mechanical piece, but I just got the pump back from Meziere (their customer service is awesome, btw) so I'll get that swapped back over in a couple days.

Videos and numbers soon! I promise!
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in for the dyno and driving vids
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates? Excited to see numbers.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Thanks!

Got the balancer on last night, holy crap. Even without the bolt I don't think that thing'd be going anywhere. It cracked the hardened washer that proform provides with their install tool.
new balancers, specifically high dollar ones are always sized on the small side
and require snout micrometer measuring plus machine shop internal honing in order to "set" the press about (.001"-.0013").....else what happened to you will happen.....been there; done that.....
Old 01-20-2018, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Any updates? Excited to see numbers.
i have the exact same build for my c5z but with a 229/232 cam. Any numbers and a video of the sound from the rear of the car? Mine goes in the shop Feb 7th.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the long wait guys. Had some issues with last minute details (and my tuner) that have left me trying to figure out how to write this post...

First things first though... here's a run on the dyno:

(Apologies for the sound issues. Car was incredibly loud in the shop and the mic in my phone must have been distorting)

Without going into too much detail with the tuner, I was left with a fairly conservative tune that has probably left 10-15hp on the table. I was pretty disappointed after putting in hours and hours assembling this motor to get what felt like was a rushed tune (seriously, 3 dyno pulls and in and out in less than 3 hours). That, coupled with his very stingy mustang dyno, my numbers are probably 20-30 below what they should be....even the tuner mentioned what I made was solid but his dyno was/is on the stingy side.

Now on to the numbers! Car made 452/406 which has me really excited to see the car's real potential with a proper tune in it. Even as it is now, the car is a rocket compared to what it was stock. Throttle response is staggering. Stab the pedal in any gear, at any RPM and the car just goes. Speed limits are almost impossible to follow because the slightest shift of the pedal and I'm going 20 over LOL.

The exhaust is amazing. I know there were a lot of mixed feelings about the Blackheart TDs when they were first announced a few years ago, but seriously guys, if you want a high quality dual exhaust that won't annihilate your wallet this is the way to go. I'll get pics up in later, but this exhaust tucks better than my factory pipes! Seriously the lowest part of the car now are my subframe connectors. Tone is great as well, no rasp (and no real drone, at least as far as I can hear) and in-cabin noise is perfect. Loud enough that you know its there, but even at full-tilt I barely had to raise my voice to be heard.

Car drives like stock too btw, even with the lighter clutch I bought from Tony Mamo whom I sourced most of my combination from. Its actually a new product he offers, a single disc that weighs only 42 lbs and I think he has a version that's even lighter with an aluminum wheel. Anyway, the cam Tony selected for me its just spot on....I personally find it amazing that I can make this much power with such a mild cam (227 / 232 @ .050). The drivability is truly almost stock like. I've driven in cars that people claim drive like stock and have to laugh sometimes. My car truly does and its one of the first times I have experienced a have your cake and eat it too situation when it came to modding. I know Tony has been perfecting this combination over the years and it really shows in the end results

Now, the dyno graph I have from the tuner looks terrible (seriously, no smoothing whatsoever) so I had one reproduced in excel.

That torque curve makes me drool... LOL. Seriously, I love how it hits peak and just carries for almost 1500 rpm. You can absolutely feel it too when driving. It's like the jump to light speed from Star Wars. Tach hits 4500 and it's like I'm trying to hang on to the steering wheel lol.

Unfortunately, I don't have any real driving videos. Just didnt have the time and the weather in Washington had limited my ability to really put the hammer down anyway. That, coupled with a recent move to California (where I had to leave the car behind for a few months) means it'll be a little bit before I can get a decent video. In the meantime, I do have a couple short vids:

Here's an idle clip. Ignore my messy garage lol

And here's a short run from 0-60. Due to the bad weather I was only at about half throttle and short shifting, but it at least sounds nice. (Sorry for the angle of my phone. Had put it in a mount but it kept falling to where it was pointing up)

Old 02-18-2018, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Congrats on your Results & a job well done!
Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

rofl get rid of those v6 wheels in ur dyno vid
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

also why didn't that guy open his garage door?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM

Nice job! Its amazing how much more fun that is vs stock isn't it?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Floorman279
also why didn't that guy open his garage door?
The garage door was cracked, but only like a half a foot. Wasn't my shop so I wasn't about to tell him what to do.

As for the rims, they make for a nice winter set.

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Nice job! Its amazing how much more fun that is vs stock isn't it?
Ohh I can barely begin to describe it. The car is easily 10x as fun now haha. I can't wait to get it down here in the warmth and be able to drive it like I want.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Well done sir! Sounds great!
Old 02-25-2018, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the numbers. What kinda timing did he have you set at? Tony cams have great drivability, no denying that. You will be very pleased.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 298 Likes on 166 Posts

Good stuff man. Congrats!

Quick Reply: H/C/I build: "Toothless" w/MMS220's (Dyno results in!!)