Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I Build: MMS 223 Heads by MamoMotorsports(dyno ##)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I talked to Tony about getting a top end speccd by him using his 223s the rwhp number he gave me was pretty close to what actuals came in at. I went with a more optomized set up and did not get 500 RWHP but the car runs great given the mild cam.

Good results by the way. Those corvettes sound nice, kind of wished my firebird was a corvette.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Facebook Post

For the HD quality visit my FB page : C.O.P Tuning Solutions
Old 05-27-2017, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry306
IM not disappointed guys, im just not that impressed with the #'s and i would of thought they would been a little higher, but by no means do i think this setup is't great. Very fun to drive and cruise around town, getting anything over 450rwhp out of these Ls small blocks is awesome specially with such a moderate cam...
Jerry,

Your car made exactly what it should have made and it has a beautiful power and torque curve.

As others here have stated your numbers are very solid and you should be impressed....the only reason your disappointed is because you went into this with unrealistic expectations and its the exact reason I decided to take the time to post earlier. My attempt to try and politely (and professionally) alert you to the fact what you were hoping for wasn't in the realm of reality on an honest dyno and have you better prepared for the results I felt were more realistic. Hopes and dreams wont get it done guys....achieving 500 with a stock 346 requires you to hit and optimize everything you can to help get you there and as I mentioned in my last post is that much more difficult with a small cam. Guys have spent alot more money than you with bigger cams and not even made what you have today

Speaking of that (small cams), a car that makes this much power with a cam in the 220's is a blast to drive....very explosive and responsive at practically any RPM....and still has a huge top end pull

When your ready to really get closer to 500 RWHP you can upgrade and purchase the following

Electric Water pump
Lightweight clutch assembly
Yella Terra roller rockers
Johnson short travel lifters
Thicker/larger diameter pushrods (more rigid)
And have me port your 102 FAST or step into a ported MSD instead

Without upgrading the cam would all that get you there?? On the same dyno maybe at best but my guess is you would be in the mid 490's (actually with the ported MSD you could crack 500 with the laundry list I posted above all included).

You have a very solid foundation to build on....now it's time to go get all the nickel and dimes you left on the table your first go around if your truly intent on pushing this combination further but you have plenty of time to make that happen. For now you can enjoy a car that's extremely fast and fun to drive as well without the penalties typically associated with larger cams and smallish displacement engines (soggy bottom ends and poor low/midrange responsiveness).

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-27-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih383
Wow!!!! Jaw dropped! @ Tony Mamo

I'll hold my final thoughts till after the dyno day.
Waiting on final thoughts.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Waiting on final thoughts.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's next?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You landed right where you should have
Old 05-29-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jerry
466 RWHP @ 6300 RPM & 422 lb ft @ 4800 RPM is excellent with a
small/medium sized cam, drivability and throttle response must be
insane. Job well done!
Old 05-29-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When I looked at the first post I assumed OP would be right in the territory he ended up in, more or less, but I was a bit surprised to see his tuner talking about hitting 500 or *more* to the wheels with it.

OP, did you not talk to Tony about power goals in mind beforehand? How did this not come up for him to explain sooner? Either ways, 466rwhp is a VERY impressive number with a setup like that, I honestly cannot see how you could be disappointed with those numbers. Waiting on the tuner's final thoughts.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
What's next?
Ill be in the search for a SuperCharger or might put 150 shot for mean while....
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
When I looked at the first post I assumed OP would be right in the territory he ended up in, more or less, but I was a bit surprised to see his tuner talking about hitting 500 or *more* to the wheels with it.

OP, did you not talk to Tony about power goals in mind beforehand? How did this not come up for him to explain sooner? Either ways, 466rwhp is a VERY impressive number with a setup like that, I honestly cannot see how you could be disappointed with those numbers. Waiting on the tuner's final thoughts.
I think you guys already realize that a "500" number never came from me....LOL

To be honest I was actually a bit curious how this deal transpired and looked back in my email history about the discussions we had etc. Understand this goes back to September of last year so it wasn't something I could easily remember. In fact it turns out the OP had initially grabbed a set of used AFR 205 heads and I had shared with him all the upsides of going with my new MMS 223 heads (just the peace of mind of getting something new is worth alot here, nevermind the fact I handled all the R&D on the 223 heads over a decade later). This combo wouldn't have laid down 466 with a brand new AFR 205 head.....my new 223 head is alot stouter.....over 20 CFM stronger on the intake and similar exhaust flow.

I also read a few back and forth emails about Jerry sending me a FAST 102 to port (which I would have recommended) but that never materialized. Honestly it was more a bang for the buck type of build looking things over....never a discussion of the false hopes that someone filled his head with that were never going to happen. Trust me guys, I would have sobered him up then if I had an inkling he was looking for that type of thing (500 ish). To be honest most people that have dealt with me know I handle my affairs just the opposite....I prefer to under promise and over deliver....I never throw big numbers around to try and help sell product.

Originally Posted by jerry306
Ill be in the search for a SuperCharger or might put 150 shot for mean while....
You wont be able to boost the car much with the higher static compression we set the car up to run better N/A.....with OEM pistons and 11.5 to 1 SCR I would steer clear of boost. NOS in reasonable amounts (like a hundred shot) is not out of the question but even that would dictate your mixing fuel to bump the octane some and install a small stand alone fuel system to use in conjunction with a wet shot set-up which has high octane race fuel in the stand alone cell.....otherwise you will end up losing the top ring land of one of your pistons and than have it mashed into your new heads by the battering piston underneath that just got compromised. Not a very good outcome....it can destroy a head if a big piece breaks off....make it un-repairable. If you do decide to spray it include all the electronic safety nets you can and run a stand alone fuel cell....and even that just gives you a better chance of the engine living. Nitrous with OEM cast pistons on a combination already making close to 550 at the flywheel is really a ticking time bomb of sorts. No more than a hundred shot and the stand alone fuel cell with race gas will give you a reasonable chance of hopefully enjoying it for awhile.

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-30-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What did you expect with sub 230 intake lobe?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the sum-bitch to a dyno that's puts out more than Kim Kardashian after three lines of coke and a bottle of wine and boom, you've got your magical number. Sounds like a "happy ending" to me.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
What did you expect with sub 230 intake lobe?
A miracle. Is that too much to ask?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
A miracle. Is that too much to ask?
Not around here. Happens all the time!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I think he has the 500 # in his head but i bet if he powershifted first to second at 6800 rpms it would change his thought. That thing seems like it would be fun as hell to drive.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This thread was kind of entertaining (and had good tech for others to learn from) but it has such an an "offbeat" feel to it....LOL

I think the community was/is more interested than the folks actually involved....LOL

Either way it was a great result for a modest investment....this wasn't a budget build but it wasn't far from it and the final numbers and the power curve are really impressive all things considered.

My new 223's have been killin it guys....just a fantastic head for the money. All of my customers that have ran this head have been super stoked with the results and this build is just another good example of their potential. I think you could make a legit 500 with these heads in an optimal build with a 346 and that was never in the cards when I was working on this program. I just wanted to offer a really good value head for the money....something that a guy looking at budget heads could justify spending a little more on....I had no idea they would give my pricier (full CNC) MMS 220 head a run for their money in actual performance.

Its one of the few products I have designed that exceeded my expectations on the flowbench (I have a pretty good idea where stuff is going to land after doing this 20 years), but the big surprise is how well they actually perform out in the real world!

Good stuff!!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
This thread was kind of entertaining (and had good tech for others to learn from) but it has such an an "offbeat" feel to it....LOL

I think the community was/is more interested than the folks actually involved....LOL

Either way it was a great result for a modest investment....this wasn't a budget build but it wasn't far from it and the final numbers and the power curve are really impressive all things considered.

My new 223's have been killin it guys....just a fantastic head for the money. All of my customers that have ran this head have been super stoked with the results and this build is just another good example of their potential. I think you could make a legit 500 with these heads in an optimal build with a 346 and that was never in the cards when I was working on this program. I just wanted to offer a really good value head for the money....something that a guy looking at budget heads could justify spending a little more on....I had no idea they would give my pricier (full CNC) MMS 220 head a run for their money in actual performance.

Its one of the few products I have designed that exceeded my expectations on the flowbench (I have a pretty good idea where stuff is going to land after doing this 20 years), but the big surprise is how well they actually perform out in the real world!

Good stuff!!

-Tony
From what I gather on these heads unless you're doing a bare bones cheap build there is no reason not to pick these heads up. To be within a few hundred dollars of well ported 243 heads and be that much better is amazing.
​​​​​
Old 06-04-2017, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

A buddy made around 460+ with gmpp ls6 heads and ls6 intake years ago
Old 06-04-2017, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

How big was that cam?

Quick Reply: H/C/I Build: MMS 223 Heads by MamoMotorsports(dyno ##)