Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 2000 SS but it has a different motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought a 2000 SS but it has a different motor

Bought a used 2000 SS Camaro and went to tear down the motor today for a cam swap and noticed it has 706 truck heads and an iron 5.3/4.8 block. The guy has obviously misled me in the sale so I'm considering taking him to court over the inaccurate listing and recovering some of the value difference. My question is, will my 3 bolt cam fit in the meantime? What value differential and pros/cons do I have at this point? TIA
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The 3 bolt cam should fit fine... In terms of value... that's hard to say I guess. How many miles are on the fbody? Did the seller list it as a "numbers matching" car?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you look at the motor before plunking down $???
Old 06-16-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The iron block would have been obvious by way of its darker color than an aluminum block. It's always good to thoroughly inspect any vehicle purchase for implied content.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I can understand where you are coming from. The block on mine looked fine when I bought it, but upon closer inspection it had some 862 5.3L truck heads on it. I knew the motor had a cam and truck heads being used on LS1 blocks is pretty common. It pulls hard so I am not worried about it. I did check the block and it is indeed an aluminum LS1 or LS6. That I'm not sure on and I'm not sure it's the original engine either, but it's at least an LS1. When I saw the 5.3L heads I initially thought the worst.

Honestly, a truck block isn't all that bad. Those 5.3's are tempting replacements because they are similar performers and they are plentiful due to coming in the trucks. You can also bore them out to 347CI and essentially create a LS1 with an iron block in a sense. They are good for boosted applications as I understand it.

I do think it does devalue the SS slightly, so depending on how the car was represented and the price paid, you might have actual grounds to take the seller to court.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

He sold the car as a recent swap from a 2004 LS1 GTO. So it should be an all aluminum 5.7l and instead I have a iron block 4.8 or 5.3. I bought the car on a rainy day and was honestly just too anxious to start on my project. I should have been more thorough but he clearly lied about the swap.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Did he advertise it as a GTO swap or just say it verbally?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Advertised it on craigslist so I can show the original listing.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Good luck! Usually these sales are "let the buyer beware". In Ohio, you can waste your time taking them to court, and even winning, but getting them to actually pay is literally a big joke.

You might have better luck just taking him to court to get your money back on the deal. Did you call and point it out to the person?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
I do think it does devalue the SS slightly, so depending on how the car was represented and the price paid, you might have actual grounds to take the seller to court.
Here in California, it would DEFINITELY be grounds for a lawsuit. It is specifically illegal to swap a truck motor into a passenger car here. And if the fact that this was done was not revealed to you, you could definitely go after the seller legally. Admittedly, a truck motor in a Camaro would probably pass smog because the swap is essentially invisible (ie the smog tech probably wouldn't notice just glancing at the engine if all emission equipment is there). But if you WANTED to use this as a way to legally pursue the seller, you could. Not sure what the emission laws are like in your area. But this is something to consider.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Staging Lane

its a 17 year old car. I don't think you will gain anything.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

We aren't talking big dollars here seriously, but you were misled and in most states any judge would side with you. Is it worth fighting over? I'd simply ask for 500-1000 dollars back and see if they bite.

Honestly I'd rather have a cast iron block over aluminum<cheap made out of old beer can that nasty stinky old guys drank out of.

Cast Iron good made out of old bath tubs that hot chicks took hot bathes in....see my point?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Buyer beware, and you can't prove he didn't know it wasn't an LS.....but seriously he did you a favor. You have a much stronger motor that will take more boost or nitrous for a long time. Be thankful.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminMatt
Here in California, it would DEFINITELY be grounds for a lawsuit. It is specifically illegal to swap a truck motor into a passenger car here. And if the fact that this was done was not revealed to you, you could definitely go after the seller legally. Admittedly, a truck motor in a Camaro would probably pass smog because the swap is essentially invisible (ie the smog tech probably wouldn't notice just glancing at the engine if all emission equipment is there). But if you WANTED to use this as a way to legally pursue the seller, you could. Not sure what the emission laws are like in your area. But this is something to consider.
The 5.3 LM7 looks so much like the standard LS1, that a good install wouldn't be all that noticeable. Smog wise, their emissions will be similar enough that it shouldn't be an issue. It would or should pass the sniffer test.

Originally Posted by Bryan28
its a 17 year old car. I don't think you will gain anything.
He wouldn't gain a lot by doing this, but he might get something out of it. Whether or not you'd be able to do anything beyond breaking even in small claims court is debatable. I'd probably avoid it as it wouldn't be worth my time.

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
We aren't talking big dollars here seriously, but you were misled and in most states any judge would side with you. Is it worth fighting over? I'd simply ask for 500-1000 dollars back and see if they bite.

Honestly I'd rather have a cast iron block over aluminum<cheap made out of old beer can that nasty stinky old guys drank out of.

Cast Iron good made out of old bath tubs that hot chicks took hot bathes in....see my point?
I can understand where you are coming from, but I don't necessarily agree. If we are talking about any old F-Body, then I'd probably be fine with it. If I was buying a Camaro SS or Firehawk I'd definitely offer less for the car given it doesn't have the original engine.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Buyer beware, and you can't prove he didn't know it wasn't an LS.....but seriously he did you a favor. You have a much stronger motor that will take more boost or nitrous for a long time. Be thankful.
Eh....fair enough I suppose.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Psh thats a win for you. Perfect platform for boost!

Quick Reply: Bought a 2000 SS but it has a different motor