Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper valve noise very very loud

Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black70ls1
I am back again... tore top end apart. The only thing I found so far. I have put 5.7 head gasket on. I have a lq4 6.0
Stupid ME .. I am not sure that would make it sound like upper noise. Not sure if it would make noise. Stupid me.
The gasket bore is based on the larger of the bore or the combustion chamber. You should measure both.

Any photos of what you found? Sounds like the piston punched through the gasket.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The gasket bore is based on the larger of the bore or the combustion chamber. You should measure both.

Any photos of what you found? Sounds like the piston punched through the gasket.
actually I just see a small spot on the edge of the gasket .no spots on the piston at all.just got the motor out tonight. Will pull apart this week end. Thanks ...after further review the edges of pistons are rolled just a little bit. I am sure that's the noise. I am still going to pull
the pan and look a few bearings . I would never thought that stupid mistake would sound like that. Thanks for your help.. Jack

Last edited by Black70ls1; 09-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper valve noise very very loud