LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Problems after TSP Torquer v2 Cam and Tune... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1889147-problems-after-tsp-torquer-v2-cam-tune.html)

Daron Spencer 01-08-2018 03:26 PM

Problems after TSP Torquer v2 Cam and Tune...

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6spd Black on Black car(daily). I'm pretty new at this, but I have some previous experience with cars and work and decided to do the cam swap myself but everything worked fine and ran... I installed an intake, headers, a new fuel pump assembly, ls7 lifters, springs, pushrods, oilpump and camshaft. After that I knew that I would need a tune on the car so I got one from a reputable tuner. The car made 381.9rwhp which was good but I did notice that the car runs rich at idle and throws the codes P0106, P1133, P1153 and P1637. Im just wondering is this normal/ right? I saw on ls1 how to that the car should through the code P0300 (which it did before the tune) but not the other codes... Any hep, will be much appreciated?!..

RonSSNova 01-08-2018 04:57 PM

It shouldn't be throwing a map sensor code. Is it plugged in?
1133 and 1153 are O2 switching codes caused by the headers. O2's don't get hot enough.
1637 is an alternator code. is it plugged in?

Rich smell at idle is normal with a cam. It may not be rich.
Current production GM O2 sensors might fix the code problem if you still have the orig sensors. Beyond that, the tuner can just turn the codes off.

I'm guessing you just paid for a dyno tune and the guy didn't spend any time driving it?

Ron

farmington 01-08-2018 05:32 PM

I broke a map wire when I removed my intake to do my cam swap. Sounds similar to me. Check it. Tuner should have taken a look at codes.

tech@WS6store 01-08-2018 05:33 PM

Map sensor code can mean 3 things.
#1 bad map/connection
#2 bad oil pressure sensor/connection
#3 bad maf or improperly tune out maf if SD

98CayenneT/A 01-08-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by farmington (Post 19806740)
I broke a map wire when I removed my intake to do my cam swap. Sounds similar to me. Check it. Tuner should have taken a look at codes.

Same here and true.

My wire broke right up close to connector and took a while to find.

Daron Spencer 01-08-2018 08:18 PM

I just got home and will check out the wire in the morning, that may be a possibility but im pretty sure I plugged it in(And if not shouldn't the tuner have seen no reading for the sensor:confused:?) The other main issue is the car dies if I push in the clutch while in gear, it seems like an extreme surge and will sometimes almost die then go back and forth from 1500-400rpm and settle down. Its very hectic driving it.

Daron Spencer 01-08-2018 08:20 PM

Also im pretty sure the car is running rich at idle...

farmington 01-09-2018 08:27 AM

very easy to break a map wire. check it closely

Daron Spencer 01-09-2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by farmington (Post 19807112)
very easy to break a map wire. check it closely

I just checked it over and it was defiantly not broken in any places:confused:

Daron Spencer 01-10-2018 08:33 AM

as well the car is throwing the code p0101 but the code p0106 is gone:bomb:

01ssreda4 01-10-2018 08:50 AM

The car cannot be tuned on the ve side without a working map. I've done cam swaps and driven them immediately afterwards with no tune and didn't experience what you are. It's hard to diagnose across the internet but it sounds to me like the tune isn't very good. Also, headers don't throw 02 codes, that's a load of BS.

thunderstruck507 01-10-2018 07:55 PM

How recently was the tune done versus the active codes?

Honestly if the tuner let a car go with active trouble codes and didn't explain them to you or if they popped up pretty recently after the tune I would have some concerns.

RonSSNova 01-11-2018 01:26 AM

I drive customer cars for a week or more just to sort these things out.
Shoot, the drivability portion of the tune takes the most time.

Too bad you can't post the tune

KW Baraka 01-11-2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daron Spencer (Post 19806642)
Problems after TSP Torquer v2 Cam and Tune...

You should change your thread title since the problems you're experiencing have nothing to do with the cam or TSP.

Just tryin' to be fair to TSP....... :burn:

KW

kinglt-1 01-11-2018 08:54 AM

A cam of this size is never going to drive like 100% stock...I would expect some slight drivability loss even with a good tune. However It should not present these kind of issues...and your power numbers sound a little low but dyno numbers don't much. I would expect 400whp with that cam on a honest dyno. The car should of never been tuned until the issue with all the trouble codes are addressed. No way you can correctly tune if the MAP is not functioning correctly. It also takes more then 1 tuning session to dial in a cam of that size.

ddnspider 01-11-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 19807796)
The car cannot be tuned on the ve side without a working map. I've done cam swaps and driven them immediately afterwards with no tune and didn't experience what you are. It's hard to diagnose across the internet but it sounds to me like the tune isn't very good. Also, headers don't throw 02 codes, that's a load of BS.

Headers ALWAYS throw O2 codes unless they've been turned off. Theres all kinds of codes for slow or insufficient switching which happens with headers when they switch lazy at idle since they dont get hot enough due to the LT's dissipating heat. This is well documented.

Daron Spencer 01-11-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 (Post 19808253)
How recently was the tune done versus the active codes?

Honestly if the tuner let a car go with active trouble codes and didn't explain them to you or if they popped up pretty recently after the tune I would have some concerns.

That's the thing, the map codes weren't there before the tune. I only had the o2 sensor codes. The P0101 and P0106 came after the tune.

A cam of this size is never going to drive like 100% stock...I would expect some slight drivability loss even with a good tune. However It should not present these kind of issues...and your power numbers sound a little low but dyno numbers don't much. I would expect 400whp with that cam on a honest dyno. The car should of never been tuned until the issue with all the trouble codes are addressed. No way you can correctly tune if the MAP is not functioning correctly. It also takes more then 1 tuning session to dial in a cam of that size.
The map had no codes before the tune therefore im questioning whether or not it is something to do with the tune. It was dynoed on a mustang dyno if that helps as far as numbers. He also had the car for 2 1/2 days so im pretty sure he had multiple sessions?...

tech@WS6store 01-11-2018 01:41 PM

Giving the tuner too much credit or just guessing they did a complete is a common misconception.
If it comes back and it has codes and runs like poo, its the tuners issue to make right unless you explicitly paid for just a dyno tune and you understood that is all you are getting. Most places have separate tuning options like "dyno only" "dyno with wideband" "full tune" etc.
Make sure you get what you pay for.

01ssreda4 01-12-2018 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ddnspider (Post 19808510)
Headers ALWAYS throw O2 codes unless they've been turned off. Theres all kinds of codes for slow or insufficient switching which happens with headers when they switch lazy at idle since they dont get hot enough due to the LT's dissipating heat. This is well documented.

Not sure what you read on the internet, but in my experience with my own cars and tuning cars for others I have not experienced any o2 codes related to headers. And thats why i commented that.

tech@WS6store 01-12-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 19809162)
Not sure what you read on the internet, but in my experience with my own cars and tuning cars for others I have not experienced any o2 codes related to headers. And thats why i commented that.

Maybe he means post cat/sensor 2 codes?
Otherwise i agree with you 01ss. Ive only ever seen insufficient switching on cams with a good amt of overlap. Most of that can be cured with tuning though also.