Sponsored by:

Big cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Let the man be. 246/250 isnt even that big. If hes happy with it (and clearly it makes power) then so be it.

My 27x/28x cam drove like stock in my 5th gen.
Get over it. The cam has 24 degrees of overlap....it doesn't drive stockish by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Get over it. The cam has 24 degrees of overlap....it doesn't drive stockish by any stretch of the imagination.
If drives like stock to me if u can't handle driving a car with a big cam maybe u need to figure out how to drive a Manuel car
Old 04-01-2018, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
Textbook results of going to a bigger cam. Considerable losses in torque and horsepower at lower RPM in exchange for gains at higher RPM. Looks like you need to shift at 7k or so.
Even with old cam if im racing i wind it to rev limiter whats the point of shift at low rpm.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lsnewbee
If drives like stock to me if u can't handle driving a car with a big cam maybe u need to figure out how to drive a Manuel car
How fast you been with a 6 speed and at what weight?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

How fast you been with a 6 speed and at what weight?
I dont go to the track all street but I've had the car to 130 stock weight why does that have anything to do with stock driveability driving at the track wont tell u anything about street driving
Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I dont go to the track all street but I've had the car to 130 stock weight why does that have anything to do with stock driveability driving at the track wont tell u anything about street driving
Youre running your mouth talking about not knowing how to drive a stick so was curious if you actually had any decent times to back it up....your answer is as expected.

24 degrees of overlap in a stock cube motor does NOT drive like stock. Unless you're compression is sky high with an ITB it just won't drive like stock due to the reversion, particularly at idle. Unless your definition of drives like stock is that it runs and drives, then sure. Drives like stock is being able to hold a reasonable idle from a cold start, i.e. less than 1000rpms; and can drive through a crowded parking lot at low speed with no surging and cruise along in high gear at low rpm with bucking. You don't have some miracle cam that drives like stock while being obnoxiously big with minimal supporting mods. Cam timing doesn't lie.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Youre running your mouth talking about not knowing how to drive a stick so was curious if you actually had any decent times to back it up....your answer is as expected.

24 degrees of overlap in a stock cube motor does NOT drive like stock. Unless you're compression is sky high with an ITB it just won't drive like stock due to the reversion, particularly at idle. Unless your definition of drives like stock is that it runs and drives, then sure. Drives like stock is being able to hold a reasonable idle from a cold start, i.e. less than 1000rpms; and can drive through a crowded parking lot at low speed with no surging and cruise along in high gear at low rpm with bucking. You don't have some miracle cam that drives like stock while being obnoxiously big with minimal supporting mods. Cam timing doesn't lie.

For one i never ran my mouth read what I posted I sa8d I drives stockish anywhere below 12-1500 with no throttle it gets surge i can use 6th gear. Track has absolutely not a ******* thing to do with the street genius my idle is at 800 fires right up why are you so butt hurt about this. Dietcoke came on here and said the same thing you told him he was wrong also so what is your problem dude. And please explain to me how running at the track has anything to do with street driving please. I dont know why people like you hate when someone does something you don't approve of and all you want to do is put them down for it. The day you pay my me for my car pay for anything I do to it is the day you can say what goes in on or is done to it . Just because it's not what everyone else does doesnt mean it's wrong. If you can't handle a big cam thats your business but dont tell me that I'm wrong for doing what I did. So in other words no I'm going to be an *** an say something

GO **** YOURSELF
Old 04-01-2018, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I see it a lot on here. Everyone needs to run a mild cam...
I went max effort and am glad I did. My car my deal.
It seems everyone should be running the 228R or torquer v2 like everyone else.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Worst part about it is i know quite a few people who wont post on here or even be a part to ls1tech anymore because people lime mr *** hat putting **** down. This site is for people to learn on
Old 04-01-2018, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

waaaa waaaa bla bla bla
youre wrong. Way to spread bad info to others about what is considered driveable for a real street car.
Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Absolutely not. I haven't ran any of those on anything I've build....but I also don't go saying crap statements like my "max effort donkey dick cam drives like stock".
Old 04-01-2018, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=ddnspider;19866848]youre wrong.
​​​​​​​
Absolutely not. I haven't ran any of those on anything I've build....but I also don't go saying crap statements like my "max effort donkey dick cam drives like

So you are saying it doesn't have you drove my car NO you haven't have you drove anyone else's car that says the same thing NO you haven't look up the guys running the trex and similar cams alot post that they have no driveability issues and neither do I its all in the tune. In the time I have been driving with this cam i have not stalled the car one time. You can't sit there and tell me I'm wrong if you haven't done it first hand.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

[QUOTE=Lsnewbee;19866852]
youre wrong.

Absolutely not. I haven't ran any of those on anything I've build....but I also don't go saying crap statements like my "max effort donkey dick cam drives like

So you are saying it doesn't have you drove my car NO you haven't have you drove anyone else's car that says the same thing NO you haven't look up the guys running the trex and similar cams alot post that they have no driveability issues and neither do I its all in the tune. In the time I have been driving with this cam i have not stalled the car one time. You can't sit there and tell me I'm wrong if you haven't done it first hand.
​​​​​​​Actually I have driven and tuned large (24x/24x) cammed LS motors. All you had to do was ask. I've fixed tunes from some of the top tuners in the country and in no way shape or form does that cam drive like stock. Perhaps I just have a more realistic view of what stock means, thats all. I wish you the best in whatever goal you apparently have for the car by losing power everywhere but at peak in a car that "doesn't see the drag strip".
Old 04-01-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Lsnewbee thanks for posting up the numbers. I for one love the bigger cams. The good mild mannered cams are boring...
Old 04-01-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
The good mild mannered cams are boring...
.....BUT usually good for MORE power in the low and
mid range without losing much on the top end. Quicker overall.
That being said, if you like the way it runs, great, but don't be surprised if a smoother-idling similar displacement NA combo cleans your clock sometime. Just sayin'.....
Old 04-02-2018, 05:11 AM
On The Tree

youre wrong. Way to spread bad info to others about what is considered driveable for a real street car.
Absolutely not. I haven't ran any of those on anything I've build....but I also don't go saying crap statements like my "max effort donkey dick cam drives like stock".[/QUOTE]

I love how you can tell me I'm wrong but u dont know whatbyou are talking about... when you say you have never ran any of those on anything then you say later you have tuned and drove lots of big cam cars but yet you couldn't get it to drive like stock its kinda sad when someone that has only tuned 2 cars can tune a car to drive the way it does and yes my donkey dick cam drives stockish not lieing to anyone or give bad info
Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Absolutely not. I haven't ran any of those on anything I've build....but I also don't go saying crap statements like my "max effort donkey dick cam drives like stock".

I love how you can tell me I'm wrong but u dont know whatbyou are talking about... when you say you have never ran any of those on anything then you say later you have tuned and drove lots of big cam cars but yet you couldn't get it to drive like stock its kinda sad when someone that has only tuned 2 cars can tune a car to drive the way it does and yes my donkey dick cam drives stockish not lieing to anyone or give bad info[/QUOTE]

Still crying because I disagree with you? Get over it. You don't have a unicorn setup....if anything you have a poorly designed setup and should be embarrassed with 430whp with that cam. You're not some miracle tuner, and there's thousands upon thousands of people who realize that cam doesn't drive stock. There's been moderators and vendors on this site that have all said the same thing. There's not some magic recipe when your stock cubed and crap compression that makes the car drive like stock with a massive cam. I have no issue with large cams, if anything I love the way they sound and pull, but IRL they do not drive as stock. You don't agree, fine. I really could care less, but when some newb stumbles into this thread wanting a cam, I don't want some idiot like you swaying them that they can throw this cam in and DD it cause it's "stock".
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Even with old cam if im racing i wind it to rev limiter whats the point of shift at low rpm.
Shifting at lower RPM would extend the life of the engine and a lot of the internal components. It’s your prerogative where you want your power to be. I’m just making an observation.

You don't agree, fine. I really could care less, but when some newb stumbles into this thread wanting a cam, I don't want some idiot like you swaying them that they can throw this cam in and DD it cause it's "stock".
In your crusade against opinions you don’t agree with, you should try to handle disputes like an adult instead of starting petty arguments. If you’re so concerned with what a “newb” thinks, you could be doing just as much harm by discouraging them from asking a question or posting an opinion.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCS
In your crusade against opinions you don’t agree with, you should try to handle disputes like an adult instead of starting petty arguments. If you’re so concerned with what a “newb” thinks, you could be doing just as much harm by discouraging them from asking a question or posting an opinion.
Apparently using profanity towards another forum member is more acceptable than challenging a comment that has been disproved plenty of times both on and off this site. I do find this interesting,
If you’re so concerned with what a “newb” thinks, you could be doing just as much harm by discouraging them from asking a question or posting an opinion.
particularly when I've help many other forum members on here, and get PM's regularly asking for help. The last time I went against the grain on cam choice, you can read the result here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19842526

If you're going to criticize me for the way I challenged him, fine, I have no problem with that. Yes I could have structured some of my posts better. But at least be fair about it and tell others to keep it to the automotive and not allow personal attacks. Otherwise the whole forum might as well just be 1 big SRK section.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Shifting at lower RPM would extend the life of the engine and a lot of the internal components. It’s your prerogative where you want your power to be. I’m just making an observation.

I love this. Thank you for not making me say it.

Also left out for improving valvetrain longevity to more of an OEM standard:
-Less lift (usually around .590 in gen3/4)
-slower cam lifter ramp rate
-weakest valve spring possible

I've seen some "truck cams" that fall into these categorys, I guess somebody thinks that only trucks need to be reliable.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Apparently using profanity towards another forum member is more acceptable than challenging a comment that has been disproved plenty of times both on and off this site. I do find this interesting,
If profanity is a problem, then the internet may not be a good place for you. We’re all adults here and I’m not going to tell grown men they can’t cuss. The comments that provoke childish arguments which degrade technical discussion is going to be much less tolerated than profanity.

particularly when I've help many other forum members on here, and get PM's regularly asking for help. The last time I went against the grain on cam choice, you can read the result here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19842526

If you're going to criticize me for the way I challenged him, fine, I have no problem with that. Yes I could have structured some of my posts better. But at least be fair about it and tell others to keep it to the automotive and not allow personal attacks. Otherwise the whole forum might as well just be 1 big SRK section.
I deal with the root cause, and in this case, that is you. The personal attacks, however unnecessary and derogatory, were just a result of your actions which you even realize weren’t the best. I’m just asking you to be a little more civil in your arguments. If it devolved to the point where a ban or infractions needed to be issued, such as when personal threats occur, then I would probably look at all involved.

FWIW, I actually agree with you, I have a 24x/25x cam in a 440ci engine and there’s no way it would ever drive like stock. But that’s my opinion and I know not everyone will agree.