Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Noise after installing new intake and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Noise after installing new intake and injectors

I have a 2000 LS1 Camaro. Running fine before we started adding a sheet metal intake.and larger injectors. Primed the fuel system and turned it over. It burped a bit. Then on the next crank it made a horrific sound and now continues to grind when we crank it. Sounds worse than a starter issue. We have the brake booster and map sensor coming out of the bottom of the intake and closed off the other two ports. There is no air system as we deleted that. It has a BT cam 607/595 I believe. Any thoughts on what the sound might be. Did we wash the cylinder walls? Help.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

You sure you didn't drop a bolt or socket or something down a cylinder head intake port ?

Hard to say without a sound clip at the very least
Old 03-05-2018, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

If it were mine, I would remove the spark plugs, and then put a socket on a breaker bar on the front harmonic balancer bolt & S * L * O * W * L * Y turn the motor over by hand watching for it to stop/seize/lock up. If it stops-DO NOT TRY AND FORCE IT to move!!!!

If it stops, it will be time to pull the top end of the motor and inspect for something having gotten into a cylinder. Alternately you can use a bore scope and go in through the spark plug holes looking for something sitting on top of 1 of the pistons. If you go the borescope route also look at the valves to see if something is caught between a valve and the cylinder head. Also, when you pull the plugs inspect the ends of them very carefully. I've had stuff get into a cylinder before and it crushed the electrode on the plug flat. That was my first sign. Then I looked into the bore with a bore scope. Then I wept like a baby. So, yes, I've been in your shoes before.

Please post back and let us know what you find. Pictures would be even better
Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 PM

So here is an update. Pulled the starter... one of the starter bold holes is broken. Replaced it. Pulled the plugs. Found that two of the new injectors were pouring gas into 1 and 6. Turned the engine by hand and it moves freely all around. Let it sit over night to get all of the gas out of the cylinders. Must have hydro locked because of the fuel. Ordered a new set of injectors and replacing the plugs while we are at it. Hoping that we didn't bend or break a valve, but again... the engine spins freely. I will let you know what happens when we try again.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You didn't bend a valve, when it hydro locks it bends CONNECTING RODS<very very bad. Hopefully it just broke the starter. Good Luck
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

He said it makes a grinding noise. Dropping something in the engine makes a knocking noise not a grind.

Glad you found the issue with the starter, as said the hydrolock would bend a rod not a valve.

CHANGE THE OIL, if you washed it out with fuel there will be fuel in the oil and then things will go to ****.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 PM

We plan on changing oil as well. going to crank it over without fuel after that and pray everything spins correctly.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by bjplus2
We plan on changing oil as well. going to crank it over without fuel after that and pray everything spins correctly.
Best of luck
Old 03-12-2018, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

You'll be fine. I had my dads 5.3 on a test stand about a week ago and the #7 injector was stuck open and poured fluid into the chamber. The starter grinded and locked ups like something was keeping it from turning. The engine was running on the stand just minutes before so thats why I was confused. Noticed fuel dripping out of the driver header and muffler (I thought it was condensation as it was cold out). Took the plugs out and cranked it over (huge fireball bc I forgot to disconnect the coil harnesses) lol. Plugs back in swapped the injector out and she runs good. It really only bends a rod if the engine is running and has alot of momentum/force. Valves couldnt bend as they are closed if the engine is compressing the fluid till it stops the engine from turning.

More than likely you are fine. Pressure test the fuel system and verify it holds fuel pressure with the key off (unless you got an aftermarket regulator) and have the rails/injectors hanging off the engine and visually verify no fluid leaking out.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

have you changed the tune for the bigger injectors? You can't just put bigger injectors in and have them work. your tune will be overly fat.